AFL 50th Season-versary Logo

Pharos04

"50th Anniversary" would have been more appropriate then "50th Season."

I agree. Since the AFL ceased to be 40 years ago, this is not the 50th season. Anniversary would be a better term to use.

...and, at the risk of further sidetracking this conversation, that was the only point I was trying to make.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"50th Anniversary" would have been more appropriate then "50th Season."

I agree. Since the AFL ceased to be 40 years ago, this is not the 50th season. Anniversary would be a better term to use.

...and, at the risk of further sidetracking this conversation, that was the only point I was trying to make.

I don't see any implication in any of those team logos that the AFL is in its 50th season. As Slickster has already mentioned, this is indeed the 50th season for all those teams -- which is all that those teams' logos say.

The commemorative AFL league logo contains some unusual verbiage, with the legend "50th Anniversary Season". But, this novel wording is specifically meant, it would appear, to avoid the implication that the AFL itself (as opposed to the group of former AFL teams) is in its 50th season.

Honestly, I am just grateful that they were consistent -- that they actually labelled the 50th season as the "50th season", and not as the "50th Anniversary". We have seen some sloppy treatment in the past on such matters. For example, there was the Mets' "25th Anniversary" patch from 1986, which marked not the 25th anniversary but the club's 25th season.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Titans don't get a logo? They are still considered in the same lineage as the Oilers, correct?

Also, no throwbacks for the Dolphins or Bengals? I know they weren't original members of the AFL, but still would have been cool.

I would have minimized the Titans aspect of the logo, or just not had a team-specific logo and gone with the AFL-50th patch all season.

This thing screams of a slap in the face to all Houston fans.

Which i guess is a good thing, since the Texans seem to turning a corner. We might have a pretty nice rivalry on our hands...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Titans50.png

Great find Gothamite, Thank you. Have to say wow, one of the ugliest of the bunch. Everything looks way more forced, even when compared to the Patriots and Bills one. But that's all 8 Originals.

IMO:

Best: Kansas City

Worst: Buffalo/Tennessee

What's the Point?: New York

Seriously, the Jets make NO reference to the old Titans moniker, despite selling throwback jerseys and merchandise that allude to their former name. Kind of a slap in the face of those who actually played and maybe cheered for the Titans before the color change.

But that's just me.

Seriously, the Jets make NO reference to the old Titans moniker, despite selling throwback jerseys and merchandise that allude to their former name. Kind of a slap in the face of those who actually played and maybe cheered for the Titans before the color change.

I don't think either of those two fans mind. :D

Seriously, a "slap in the face?" Mightn't that be just a little over the top, even for the Web?

Archived