Tropicana going back to old look

GuitarPunk2512

CBS news reported that Pepsi will drop the new tropicana look because consumers complained that it looked too generic, so theyre going back to the old orange with the straw look. i think its a good move because the new look was very plain and ugly.

Don't they test these things on people before they put them out in public? What a waste of money on Tropicana's part!

OLD

tropicana.jpg

NEW

tropicananewlogocap.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Don't they test these things on people before they put them out in public? What a waste of money on Tropicana's part!

Actually they do test these things out and that's the problem with focus groups, is that you're only getting a percentage of the people to speak for a larger group and you have to make decisions based on that and like this, it could lead you in the wrong direction and end up costing you millions of dollars depending on where you had that focus group. Location means a lot, so does age, time of day, and the sex of the people in the focus group. If one of those is off, it could screw you royally. Focus groups are just test markets, and that is the key it's a test. It may look good to a small group of people, but the rest of the people may hate what the focus group likes.

I really did enjoy the design of the new Tropicana boxes. I thought they were stylized well. They made me think of oranges, sunshine, and bolded century gothic. And in today's work-a-day world, that is exactly what orange juice should represent.

peshtigobloglogocc.jpg twittericonkingslut.gif

For the record, that's not exactly what the new packaging looks like, but it's close. The thing is, the old one is absolutely NOT great, but people associate that look with Tropicana, and that was the beginning of the end. I think the main flaw in the new design (people were having trouble locating the "Tropicana" cartons on the shelf) is that the brand name is written sideways. Even I, a supporter of the new look, can and will admit that it is a little difficult to read. The complaints about not being able to figure out the pulp content easily enough, though, are ridiculous. At some point as a consumer, you have to take some initiative and read the damn packaging. I mean, it says it right on the front of every carton (color coded, no less) how much pulp is in it. While the new look wasn't perfect, the old look is nothing special, and I don't think this is the right move, but rather, the easy way out. I think Tropicana could have at least asked Arnell (the designer), "Look, you guys dropped the ball, or we dropped the ball, or both, but bottom line is people hate this and you told us they would like it; that it was better. Now they can't find it on the shelf and they think it looks like a store brand. Can we make this right?" I don't think Arnell would have gone all Wolff Olins London 2012/Chris Bangle on them and fed them something about how the Tropicana packaging is supposed to challenge the consumer and that it's not supposed to look good. People just want their OJ carton to look clean, fresh and pure without cliche. Neither the old or the new accomplishes that, though the new is closer, in my opinion.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This is a good move. You can look at the supermarket cooler from 100 yards away and tell that the traditional package is Tropicana because of the straw/orange, whereas with the redesigned one that is not the case because of the tiny font.

Archived