New Celtics NBDL Team in Portland Maine

vhschola

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I've gotten just one guy to look at pictures of freakishly huge cats, I've done my job.

Sir...I think you are a bit liberal in your use of the word "cat." That is not a cat, but rather the monstrous creation of some nuclear disaster.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If I've gotten just one guy to look at pictures of freakishly huge cats, I've done my job.

Sir...I think you are a bit liberal in your use of the word "cat." That is not a cat, but rather the monstrous creation of some nuclear disaster.

Now I really want to get a Maine Coon and name it Bubastis.

I thought I heard Lewiston was leaving after this season...?

They are supposed to. Another team is coming in though, from the Maritime Junior A Hockey League.

They wanted to move to Montréal, but the owner of the Montréal Juniors (the former St. John's Fog Devils) doesn't want to give up his terrorial rights to the area and they will have to find another city to relocate to (rumoured to be Fredericton, NB).

Name the team the Maine Fury, and have the logo depicting a 1958 Plymouth devouring various ne'er-do-wells in its path. In front of a basketball.

*Stephen King reference. Christine. Decent read.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Ok, since the team has announced they are doing a name the team contest where you vote on one of the 6 NBA-approved nicknames, I guess I can post my list of names, most of them have been seen by ownership and may end up on the ballot(fingers crossed).

Maine Colonels- Honoring Joshua Chamberlain, one of Maine's most famous residents.

Maine Marvels- Just a fun name more geared towards selling tickets and getting kids into the action. Super-hero themed.

Portland Foresters- Maine has a huge history of forestry, Portland is nicknamed "Forest City", and it feeds into the stereotype of what Mainers are.

USS Maine- A unique way to name a team, and honors the historic ship.

Portland Steamers- References Maine's locomotion history, but doubles as a nickname for steamed clams. Could be hard to build a solid identity around.

Maine Beacons- Named so because of Maine's landmark lighthouses.

Maine Schooners- Nautical theme not unlike the LA Clippers. Pretty straight-forward.

Maine Silver Bullets- Again, touching on Maine's locomotive history, but doubles as the movie named after a Stephen King novella. King is a famous Portland resident.

Maine Whitetails- Named after the White-tailed Deer that populate the state.

Maine Windjammers, LumberJacks, and Wave- All were former pro teams in the state.

Maine Evergreens- Name doubles as referencing the trees throughout the state and the idea of being Forever Green, thus supporting the Celtics forever.

Maine Naturals- Deals with how much of the state is still nature, not developed, but also is a way of describing a gifted athlete.

Portland Pride- Simply because they should be a Celtics affiliate, and all Celtics fans have Celtic Pride.

What do you guys think? Any stand out as good? I know some of them would be hard to use, because of copyright issues(Silver Bullet, Coors Light), trouble using the same color scheme as the Celtics, and unconventional names, but this is my list.

Maine Silver Bullets- Again, touching on Maine's locomotive history, but doubles as the movie named after a Stephen King novella. King is a famous Portland resident.

Though born in Portland, Stephen King only lived in the city for a relatively short period of time. From the ages of 2 through 11, King's family moved around the country, calling communities in Wisconsin, Indiana and Connecticut home. Upon returning to Maine, King's family settled in Durham. He now lives in Bangor, Maine.

Though born in Portland, Stephen King only lived in the city for a relatively short period of time. From the ages of 2 through 11, King's family moved around the country, calling communities in Wisconsin, Indiana and Connecticut home. Upon returning to Maine, King's family settled in Durham. He now lives in Bangor, Maine.

Thank you, I know this, I have been to his home in Bangor. I just said Portland because he was born there and that is where the team will play. I was trying to make the closest association possible. After reading it, yeah I chose the wrong way of saying it.

Now I really want to get a Maine Coon and name it Bubastis.

Hahaha! Funniest thing I've seen all day!

Maine Mariners seems to be the obvious choice, IMO.

USS Maine- A unique way to name a team, and honors the historic ship.

I really like this name. I was a little iffy on it at first, but the uniqueness really caught on with me.

But do you really want to name your team after a ship that went down because of a coal fire?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived