New Celtics NBDL Team in Portland Maine

vhschola

USS Maine- A unique way to name a team, and honors the historic ship.

I really like this name. I was a little iffy on it at first, but the uniqueness really caught on with me.

But do you really want to name your team after a ship that went down because of a coal fire?

You're talking to the owner of London Titanic FC. :D

To be honest, I forgot about that. Some other team, one with a heavy Navy population in their area, should try it, though.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Portland Pride- Simply because they should be a Celtics affiliate, and all Celtics fans have Celtic Pride.

Ya know, I really like this. Even though the real Portland had a team in the CISL back in the early '90s called the Portland Pride, I think this could work nicely as a tie-in with the Celts.

FWIW, in 1845 Portland Oregon was almost named Boston Oregon as the name was decided in a coin toss!

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

As much as I would like to see there be a name tie-in with the Celtics, I wonder if this would happen especially if the team is not owned by the Celtics and if there is another affiliate joining them.

Even though the real Portland had a team in the CISL...

FWIW, in 1845 Portland Oregon was almost named Boston Oregon as the name was decided in a coin toss!

Given the fact that Portland, Oregon was named for Portland, Maine, it really calls into question your contention that the Pacific Northwest city is the "real" Portland. ;)

And Portland, ME was named after this Portland, rendering the point further moot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Discrim, Brian, and rams:

You all are correct!!! And yeah, I know "my" Portland isn't the "real" Portland, but ya gotta understand how Oregonians feel in general. We always feel slighted or perceive that we're being slighted if Portland is referred to as Portland Oregon. In our minds, there is only one Portland! :P

So... When is that delivery of Portland Cement going to arrive?

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Team names are up on the website to vote on!

Maine Beacons- The Beacons is a tribute to the more than 60 lighthouses in Maine that guide ships safely to shore, like our coaches will guide our team to victory.

Maine Crushers- The Crushers celebrates the lobster industry in Maine. A lobster uses the crusher claw to destroy their prey, much like our team intends to crush our opponents.

Maine Claws- The Claws name celebrates the lobster industry in Maine. Maine is the largest producer of lobsters in the United States.

Maine Destroyers- The Destroyers name honors the 400 years of shipbuilding in Maine. It is a vibrant part of Maine?s culture and history, and also represents our teams desire to destroy the competition.

Maine Red Claws- The Red Claws name celebrates the lobster industry in Maine. Maine is the largest producer of lobsters in the United States.

Maine Swarm- The Swarm represents the state insect of Maine which is the Honey Bee. Bees swarm together as a group to reach a goal, much like our players working together to win games and get the call-up to the NBA.

Maine Traps- The Traps honors the tradition of lobstering in Maine and the hard working lobstermen. Our team will work hard to trap our opponent and get the win every night.

I submitted the Beacons name, as you can see in my list from earlier. IMO they are boring for the most part. I voted for Beacons based on name only, not because I came up with it. I'm hoping for Beacons or Swarm but expecting Red Claws or Crushers.

Wow those all blow. Too bad. If anything I see the team going with "Red Claws" just for the obvious tie-in with lobsters. Kinda wish they did "Maine Pines" or something to tie into the vast amounts of woods that are up there.

• 4 weeks later...
They'll be known as the Maine Red Claws.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/maine/

That's what I voted for.

It was between that and Beacons, Destroyers, and Red Claws. Beacons is just a lame name (You're a bunch of lighthouse tops? OK). Destroyers was a little too extreme-sounding for me, despite knowing the meaning. Red Claws was perfect because of its tribute to Red and the Lobster meaning too.

I can't wait for the naming contest for the Springfield team.

Archived