Norfolk Admirals (AHL) unveil alternate

Sodboy13

The Norfolk Admirals broke out a 3rd jersey over the weekend - a throwback to their days as the Hampton Roads Admirals. And while the uniform may be just a vintage Sabres set with some anchors thrown in, it's freaking gorgeous.

3307144266_b12b840cae_o.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm not a follower of any minor league hockey, or that much of one with the NHL either, but when I think of Admirals, I usually think of these color combinations, with possibly navy instead of royal blue, though the royal/gold does look very sweet.

When the Expos were exploring relocation, and Norfolk was somewhat in the mix, I proposed the name "Norfolk Admirals", without knowing their was already a Minor League Hockey team there called that. Guess it's just that great of a name.

Also, I can say I don't really care for their black and red motif to go with the Admirals moniker. And the pirate. They're named that because of the Naval prescence in Norfolk, not because of pirates.

I'm not a follower of any minor league hockey, or that much of one with the NHL either, but when I think of Admirals, I usually think of these color combinations, with possibly navy instead of royal blue, though the royal/gold does look very sweet.

When the Expos were exploring relocation, and Norfolk was somewhat in the mix, I proposed the name "Norfolk Admirals", without knowing their was already a Minor League Hockey team there called that. Guess it's just that great of a name.

Also, I can say I don't really care for their black and red motif to go with the Admirals moniker. And the pirate. They're named that because of the Naval prescence in Norfolk, not because of pirates.

You may have a couple teams mixed up. The Portland Pirates are red and black and have a pirate logo. The Norfolk Admirals are mainly blue and red and have a logo featuring a battleship firing pucks.

The gloves and pant shells worn by the player in the picture demonstrate the current Ads colors.

Doesn't the other Admirals team have a pirate for a logo?

I do have to say that having two teams in the same league named the admirals is a stupid idea. I don't know how they got away with it.

One team was in the original IHL and was absorbed by the AHL.

For clarification:

2155.gif

2157.gif

xz4ptfjvkf9zi12blsik.gif

Wow. Ok, disregard my pirate comment, but I still stand firm on the colors. At least by the logo, Norfolk does use black and red. Is it different with regards to the everday uniforms?

And one can only assume (or it can be confirmed) that the stars are indeed for the cities within the Hampton Roads region since an Admiral is a 4-Star rank, not 5.

Post removed by the Department of Redundancy Department.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I liked their jerseys better when they were with Chicago. It just seemed to fit nicely. On a side note, I get to see the Admirals this weekend in Hershey.

And on another side note, I loved this Milwaukee logo. It needs to come back.

MilwaukeeAdmirals_PRM_2006.jpg

For clarification:

2155.gif

2157.gif

xz4ptfjvkf9zi12blsik.gif

Wow. Ok, disregard my pirate comment, but I still stand firm on the colors. At least by the logo, Norfolk does use black and red. Is it different with regards to the everday uniforms?

And one can only assume (or it can be confirmed) that the stars are indeed for the cities within the Hampton Roads region since an Admiral is a 4-Star rank, not 5.

But "Fleet Admiral" is a 5-star rank, much like "General of the Army" is in the Army.

bYhYmxh.png

Archived