OKC Thunder Concept

hettinger_rl

Well, this is a logo concept that I've been playing around with for nearly a year. I wasn't sure it was worth the effort until OKC debuted their mascot. This logo is a way to branch the IDEA of "thunder" with a real object. I used mostly APS and MS paint. Its a rough start (im not that good with APS or Illustrator yet) and any help offered would be appreciated. The Black-Grey-White color scheme is only temporary, I plan to try OKC's scheme and a Black-Grey-Vegas or Yellow scheme like the one that elliot came up with. The logo simply depicts a thunderhead with a bison form coming from it.

OKC-Thunder3copy1.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wordmark is pretty good, but, I don't know, there are just way too many shapes in the clouds for this to work. It also looks very fluffy, I do think you are on the right track, but try simplifying some of the cloud shapes, making is more "frightening", and add some color.

I agree with everything Elliot said. In addition, it would look more menacing if you used bolder lines and sharper angles. Also, the grey box around "Oklahoma City" is distracting and 100% unnecessary. Lastly, the proportions at which you are using these colors forms a mark that is too light and not indicative of thunderstorms.

I think that the problem with the current logo is that it just does not intimidate enough. I'm not scared of the Thunder at all when I look at their current design. I think this does a better job, but it's kind of crowded and doesn't really display the whole Thunder concept that well.

I think you should get rid of the wordmark for this logo so it isn't as crowded, and make the clouds look more sharp and not so big and puffy. But I have to compliment you, the buffalo/cloud thing was a fantastic idea. For a color scheme I would suggest black, their current orange, and a gold/yellow.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

WTF?! A sheep on a thunder?! What's up with that? Now that's bleep.

What's up with all the trolls lately?

Anyway, that has potential my friend. I'd love to help with Illustrator, but I'm not sure I have the time right now. Awesome idea, you have to continue this.

WTF?! A sheep on a thunder?! What's up with that? Now that's bleep.

What exactly is "a thunder"? Typically we call those clouds...Thanks for your contribution to the thread!

Concept: I love the idea behind it, but the execution is off right now. Like elliot said, simplify the cloud forms and make the bison more menacing and it would help a lot. It's a great start for a difficult concept, but I think you're handling it well so far.

I don't agree with those who suggest sharpening the angles(?) on the clouds. Clouds, in my experience, tend to be...you know...cloudlike. The logo is a great idea but is lacking, as you already know, in execution. The only thing in this concept that doesn't work at all is the wordmark.

Great start though. I hope you keep working at it.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

What I would try to do is make it more of a stampede, because isn't that the old native legend that thunder is caused by a stampede of Buffalo. I remember hearing something like that, if I'm wrong tell me. The stampede would allow you to eliminate some of the extra cloud in the background. The colours right now are pretty bland I would try brown to go along with a bright yellow, but try to keep silver and white in there. This is a great idea I hope you update it because it has lots of potential.

Archived