AFL 50th Anniversary Uniforms.

dcameronh

From my understanding the alternates worn by the AFL teams will be the 3rd jersey they can wear this season. It is possible the Jets can have 4 jerseys as there has been speculation they will be wearing the white version of the NY Titans Royal Blue jersey they ahve been wearing the past two seasons.

From my understanding the alternates worn by the AFL teams will be the 3rd jersey they can wear this season. It is possible the Jets can have 4 jerseys as there has been speculation they will be wearing the white version of the NY Titans Royal Blue jersey they ahve been wearing the past two seasons.

It has been widely reported (since the beginning of last season) that they will be wearing a white Titans throwback in 2009.

I've not heard that they will also be wearing the blue throwback. Per the rules of the NFL, it's an either/or proposition. If AFL clubs want to wear throwbacks, they are able to do so under current guidelines - it just means sidelining their thirds for a season. They can continue to sell them, just not wear them.

I don't see any reason to presume Goodell will be granting any exemptions to the rules. Not for the Jets, not for anybody.

I know it may have been talked about in the 2009 NFL changes thread or elsewhere but sence there was a thread for the logos why not for the uniforms.

Post here what you think the unifroms should be for the original AFL teams having their 50th anniversary this next year or if you know what they will be for sure.

Both the Chargers and Raiders are wearing 1963 throwbacks. The Chargers for their AFL championship and the Raiders for the first year of Al Davis taking over.

So those Chargers helmets from 1963 have a sheild on the front. Will they have that?

Uniforn in question: http://footballuniformhistory.com/images/1960/SanDiego63.gif

Also something else I thought of. If all teams are only allowed to have three different uniforms (home. away & alt... not including the number of color combonations with pants and what not), do teams like San Diego have to give up their current alternate for this year to be able to ware the throwback alternate?

I'll find out about that as I'm curious as well. I'll be seeing the person that has that answer next week.

My source tells me the Chargers will have the All American City Shield on the front of the helmets for their 2 throwback games this coming season.

Not sure how to feel about that. On one hand it'll really add to the retro look, and really retro works best when the teams go that extra mile to make it special.

On the other hand I feel that shield would take away from an otherwise great looking set.

I've never seen the All American logo on them before. Anyone got a pic?

There used to be some photos up on HelmetHut but it looks like they did some pruning recently. I found these on Mike Stanhope's helmet page.

First, a crop from a Sports Illustrated cover:

63Charger.jpg

Stanhope's got the photos of the HelmetHut replicas with the shield still up on his page as well:

chargershieldladd.jpgcharalrep.jpg

Archived