Houston Astros Concept

McCall

I started working on this Astros concept the other day just for the heck of it. I wanted to get them away from their current colors and back to ones that reflect their name better. I thought their set in the 90's with the navy and gold were probably their best suited, but it would look maybe a bit too futuristic in old tymey Minute Maid Park. So I went back to the navy and orange and added the gold as an accent. I, and as many people on here have suggested as well, thought an updated version of the "shooting star" wordmark from the 60's would make fit the best. So I took that idea, updated the wordmarks and combined them to make a little bit of retro with modern retro. For the cap, I went back to the "H-Star" logo, slightly updated to go with the new set. To help keep the "old" feel, I made the home uniform and off-white/cream color, though I don't know if you can tell in the .png file I'm posting, and went with the piping on the sleeves, pants and the collar, like in days past... though many teams are starting to bring it back. I did a navy alternate and an orange alternate in the updated form, and then thought about doing the orange with the old marks from the 70's an 80's, but on the new jersey template. I also did one with the retro marks on a cream home uniform, but there's not really any orange anywhere other than the hat, so that one's just posted for fun.

Anyway, comment, don't comment, criticize, compliment, whatever you want. Thanks.

Home and Away:

Astros_Home-Away.png

Navy and Orange Alt. #1

Astros_Alternates.png

Orange Alt. #2 and Retro home alt (just for fun)

Astros_Alts-Retro.png

Logo sets. (Haven't decided on a "Primary" mark yet.)

Astros_Logos.png

BTW, I kinda had to wing it on the retro wordmarks cuz I didn't have the actual one. I just found a font that looked the same and used it for now. I'll probably try and replace it with the actual mark from that time.

I really like the home and away jerseys and the alternates are very good too. You did a great job updating the script and the H-star logo. I also like how it captures the futuristic feeling while still being basebally. I'm not a huge fan of the off white home jersey though. It's a little too retro for the new wordmark if you know what I mean.

Good concept. A-.

I like the concept a lot. I somehow feel like I've seen it or something similar before, but it's still very good. This would be much more appropriate for the Astros than what they currently have.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I like the concept a lot. I somehow feel like I've seen it or something similar before, but it's still very good. This would be much more appropriate for the Astros than what they currently have.

I did one with the same idea a couple years ago, but ended up not too happy with the final product. I thought about this one for a while before I made it.

Very nice. Very Slick I wish I had your skills. Is the bottom of the Star H supposed to be a building or somthing? Or is it just a odd shape because of the H at the bottom of the star?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Very nicely done. Just one question, however. Why do you have Lance Berkman as #32 instead of his usual #17?

Crap. I think he used to wear 32 and for some reason, I just used it. Maybe my mind's not quite in baseball mode yet cuz I kept putting it as 23 when I was working on these and had to go back and change them to 32. Well, if I do an update, I'll correct it. If not, who cares. ^_^ Thanks for the catch, though, Sacker.

I think the wordmarks are great and I love all of the updated sets. With that said, I think the only thing that I would change would be the 'shooting star' above the Astros script. I'm not sure if there is a way you can make that futuristic like you have everything else. But that's it. Everything else is very nicely done.

I really like these, they look very classy, which definately can't be said about what they have now. I also really like the cream homes. Between that and the script it has a throwback-ish feel with modern touches. You did a great job here!

TDZiMMB.png

McCall:

This looks great. Much better than what they are wearing now, IMHO.

This is the perfect mix of "old" and "new" that would fit in with the current ballpark.

Unfortunately, as the current look is the one they they finally went to the World Series under, it'll probably stick......

It is what it is.

This lifelong stros fan approves!! I absolutely love the Navy Alt #1. It's funny, a friend and I were talking the other day about how you see more "h-star" hats in Houston than the newer shooting star.

I have also always thought the script you used as the primary was their best look.

The road jersey would look good if it had the same shooting star thing as the home one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This just brings to mind how great the Astros' look used to be. Better colors, better logos, better hat, better uniforms, everything. Their change to black, brick and sand doesn't work for them and doesn't say "Astros" to me, because they spent nearly forty years in navy and either orange (my preference) and gold. This complete set pays some sort of homage to just about every set they've ever had, expect the Colt .45s (unless I missed that somewhere, sorry). I never liked their look when they used gold, but I like it here accenctuating the orange. Great work--forward it to the Astros!

Nice job, the 'Stros definitely need to go back to a orange and navy scheme. I am actually going to start working on an Astros concept myself, but I'm sure mine will be significantly different. Have you thought about including an alternate orange hat?

Archived