Another semester...another project

Mings

Alright, since general design covers everything and I think I may need to tweak my layout a bit, here is the presentation board for my latest project. It is a mixed use (work/live) project in the Lower Garden District of New Orleans. Feel free to critique both the layout and the architecture (although the review is on Wednesday so the design of the building won't change but I can change the layout some if needed).

mings_final_board.jpg

It's a very interesting concept for an architectural standpoint. I like your reasoning for the use of angles (shifts) in the building, and I think your choice of materials strengthens those ideas.

From a layout standpoint I think the presentation is very well laid out. The only thing that's throwing me off is the fact that the Longitudinal and St. Andrew Street cross sections are of the same side of the building, but the transverse and Magazine Street cross sections are not. Could the transverse section be shown from the same side as Magazine Street? also, could they be aligned so that they line up with one another (vertically justified I guess you could call it?).

The subtle use of color ads enough visual interest, but doesn't distract from the work. I think your choice of font works well, and is easy to read.

Overall a very well put together piece, and an excellent concept. Makes me wish I had chosen architecture instead of graphic design, as I almost did.

Actually..the reason I didn't line them up is due to the shifts. Playing up on the concept more. As far as the transverse section goes, its taken looking north in the building, whereas the elevation is the North elevation (looking south for you non-archies). If I switched it, the section wasn't as great.

Nice Presentation. I'm not sure I like the colors though. It seems bland, like something's missing. The concept is interesting, but I'm not much of a fan of modern architecture (part of why I'm switching), so I'm predisposed to not like the design.

spacer.png

Archived