MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

That's my point, USL-1 franchises are often fleeting. Portland and Vancouver (Seattle too, for that matter) are two of the more stable operations in the league. If these keep leaving, there won't be much of a hard core outside of Rochester and Montreal. North American soccer could become top heavy, i.e. MLS or cross your fingers. What with the exorbitant travel costs, I wonder if the PDL model of regional conferences might not be worth considering for USL-1 and 2.

Why don't they just revert back to the USISL of old?

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portland seems to have their stadium deal. It was interesting to read that a Paulson is part of the effort.

City and Timbers agree on stadium deal

Timbers and Beavers owner Merritt Paulson reached a tentative agreement Monday with Portland leaders that would give him access to more than $60 million in city-backed loans to build a new Triple A baseball stadium in the Rose Quarter and renovate PGE Park for a new Major League Soccer franchise.

To get the money, Paulson and his family have agreed to hold the city virtually harmless for paying most of it back.

He has guaranteed rent payments on the two stadiums until the loans are retired even if his teams or the league fails. He's also agreed to a 7 percent surcharge on tickets that would help retire the debt and would pay a minimum amount even if ticket sales didn't materialize, ensuring the city's revenue.

Portland seems to have their stadium deal. It was interesting to read that a Paulson is part of the effort.

Timbers and Beavers owner Merritt Paulson reached a tentative agreement Monday with Portland leaders that would give him access to more than $60 million in city-backed loans to build a new Triple A baseball stadium in the Rose Quarter and renovate PGE Park for a new Major League Soccer franchise.

To get the money, Paulson and his family have agreed to hold the city virtually harmless for paying most of it back.

He has guaranteed rent payments on the two stadiums until the loans are retired even if his teams or the league fails. He's also agreed to a 7 percent surcharge on tickets that would help retire the debt and would pay a minimum amount even if ticket sales didn't materialize, ensuring the city's revenue.

Portland's plan is far from a done deal. The City Council here votes on this tomorrow morning and as of today the plan was one vote shy of passing. I wouldn't be surprised if it passes tomorrow, though.

Beyond that, the plan also hinges on a bill pending before the state Legislature that would allow Paulson to use state taxes on the salaries of visiting MLS players to help pay down the debt.

Portland's plan is far from a done deal. The City Council here votes on this tomorrow morning and as of today the plan was one vote shy of passing. I wouldn't be surprised if it passes tomorrow, though.

Beyond that, the plan also hinges on a bill pending before the state Legislature that would allow Paulson to use state taxes on the salaries of visiting MLS players to help pay down the debt.

And that could be true. My comment to the story was that the city "seemed" to have a deal. I also commented on the latest vote on a Marlins stadium and how it appeared to violate Robert's Rules. I do not care what happens with Portland and their stadia, but if a new pitcher comes into the game, I would like the theme from "Hello, Larry" to be played as it was a spare spinoff and it was based in Portland.

Today, I saw the story when it came online and wanted to report it. The name Paulson and his dad's recent history with the economic crisis may not assist his effort.

And that is could be true. My comment to the story was that the city "seemed" to have a deal. I also commented on the latest vote on a Marlins stadium and how it appeared to violate Robert's Rules. I do not care what happened, I just saw the story when it came online and wanted to report it. The name Paulson and his dad's recent history with the economic crisis may not assist his effort.

STL may be back in the race...

St. Louis Soccer United has announced that Anheuser-Busch has entered into a letter of intent to transfer ownership of the Anheuser-Busch Center -- commonly referred to as "Soccer Park" -- to SLSU, the local group working to bring a Major League Soccer expansion franchise to the St. Louis area.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ym...s&fext=.jsp

A-B helping out STl in the 11th hour could be very interesting...

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Doesn't sound like A-B is investing in the SLSU effort, though. An investment from ABInBev would probably put them over the top. Otherwise, this actually seems to muddy the issue: they already have a stadium approved in Collinsville, why would they be looking for another place?

The A-B Center, aka St. Louis Soccer Park, is in Fenton MO, which is a southern suburb (See map). It's roughly the same distance from downtown StL as Collinsville, but closer to more of the population of the metro area.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Doesn't sound like A-B is investing in the SLSU effort, though. An investment from ABInBev would probably put them over the top. Otherwise, this actually seems to muddy the issue: they already have a stadium approved in Collinsville, why would they be looking for another place?

The A-B Center, aka St. Louis Soccer Park, is in Fenton MO, which is a southern suburb (See map). It's roughly the same distance from downtown StL as Collinsville, but closer to more of the population of the metro area.

Actually, they are to an extent, and they, the league's only remaining original sponsor, are campaigning to the league for St. Louis.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...98?OpenDocument

Also, Anheuser-Busch, the league?s only remaining original corporate sponsor, has begun to lobby on behalf of Cooper?s group.

"We?ve had a dialog and discussion with the league," said Dan McHugh, vice president of Media, Sponsorship and Activation, Anheuser-Busch Inc. "We?re letting them know our efforts, emphasizing its such a thriving soccer community and that it makes so much sense that a franchise ends up in the North American soccer capital. We?ll do anything Anheuser-Busch can do to not only get that effort, but support that and preserve youth soccer programs within the St. Louis community."

Doesn't much matter, though. Apparently Portland passed their stadium and St. Louis will get left in the cold again. But Cooper says he'll keep working on it and still expects a team soon.

Portland's City Council today approved the framework for a financing plan for Merritt Paulson's MLS bid. There's still a lot that needs to be done -- namely finding a source for a $15 million gap in financing -- but it at least sends the signal to MLS that the project has the city's backing.

Story

EDIT: I didn't see STL Fanatic's post above noting the same news. But, to be clear, the stadium plan is far from passed.

According to the Sportsnet Pacific ticker, Vancouver is officially in for 2011.

Looking online for confirmation, but not seeing anything yet. Maybe someone who's actually, you know, into soccer, can find something.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Looking online for confirmation, but not seeing anything yet. Maybe someone who's actually, you know, into soccer, can find something.

Here you go Lee.:

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=271087&...=headlines_main

OK MLS leadership...who needs the stronger "stronger financial backing," St. Louis or Portland?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here you go Lee.:

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=271087&...=headlines_main

Pfft. TSN. What do they know?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

According to multiple sources, a press conference announcing that Vancouver Whitecaps ownership has been awarded a Major League Soccer expansion franchise will be held in Vancouver, BC tomorrow.

Good! :flagcanada:

The Vancouver Whitecaps on Wednesday are expected to announce they have received one of two Major League Soccer expansion franchises, according to a report in the Vancouver Sun.

The British Columbia bid is led by Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot, former NBA most valuable player and Canada-native Steve Nash, former Yahoo Inc. president Jeff Mallett and former Seagate Technology CEO Steve Luczo. The club would play in Vancouver?s BC Place Stadium, which the newspaper said secured $365 million from the province to renovate the stadium and add a retractable roof.

Also...

Portland?s bid got a boost last week when the Portland City Council signed off on a plan to finance a $129 million plan to renovate PGE Park for a new MLS franchise and build a new stadium in the Rose Quarter for the Portland Beavers AAA baseball club.

Merritt Paulson, owner of both the Timbers and the Beavers, has agreed to pay the $40 million MLS franchise fee and $12.5 million in stadium costs. He will personally guarantee revenue projections for the stadiums and will privately place some of the bonds. The city, however, must still find a funding source for $15 million of the plan.

Even though Miami isn't getting a team, I'm glad the MLS is growing. The way I see it, if the league grows enough, Miami eventually will get a team. It doesn't have to happen today, tomorrow, or next year. Just as long as it happens SOMEDAY I'll be happy.

Congrats to Vancouver.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived