MLS Expansion Thread

BrySmalls

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Vancouver Whitecaps on Wednesday are expected to announce they have received one of two Major League Soccer expansion franchises, according to a report in the Vancouver Sun.

The British Columbia bid is led by Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot, former NBA most valuable player and Canada-native Steve Nash, former Yahoo Inc. president Jeff Mallett and former Seagate Technology CEO Steve Luczo. The club would play in Vancouver?s BC Place Stadium, which the newspaper said secured $365 million from the province to renovate the stadium and add a retractable roof.

Also...

Portland?s bid got a boost last week when the Portland City Council signed off on a plan to finance a $129 million plan to renovate PGE Park for a new MLS franchise and build a new stadium in the Rose Quarter for the Portland Beavers AAA baseball club.

Merritt Paulson, owner of both the Timbers and the Beavers, has agreed to pay the $40 million MLS franchise fee and $12.5 million in stadium costs. He will personally guarantee revenue projections for the stadiums and will privately place some of the bonds. The city, however, must still find a funding source for $15 million of the plan.

Rumor has it that Portland will be announced as the 18th team on Friday, March 20th.

2009: Seattle Sounders FC added. Uneven divisions raise questions after 5 of the 7 teams from the Eastern Conference make the playoffs and only 3 of the 8 teams from the Western Conference make the playoffs. Columbus Crew repeat over the Los Angeles Galaxy in the MLS Cup.

2010: Philadelphia Caps added. MLS experiments with single-table format after a fan vote a week before the season starts. Attendance becomes the third criteria in tiebreaking procedure for the playoffs. 1st-Points, 2nd-Goal Differential, 3rd-Average Home Attendance. The MLS gains rapid support worldwide and many European leagues follow by slimming schedules and lowering ticket prices. The United States earns a bronze at the 2010 World Cup and the D.C. United win the MLS Cup over the 8th seeded Los Angeles Galaxy in a rematch of the first MLS Championship in 1996.

2011: Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers FC added to the single-table format and schedule climbs to 38 games. Fans sell out stadiums all over the league all season. MLS rides wave of popularity with minimal innovation and gimmicks. The league exemplifies raw soccer. USL I's Cleveland City Stars win U.S. Open Cup. And after winning the last two USL I Championships, management feels stuck. MLS restructures and partners with United Soccer League to form the American Premier League.

2012: A new intercontinental league is formed with the English, Spanish, Mexican, and American premier leagues. The top 2 finishers in each table meet for an 8-team tournament. The tournament is held only once, in 2013, in-between the Olympics and World Cup. F.C. Barcelona wins the tournament. U.S. men and women win gold at the Olympics.

2013: The new world government restructures all worldwide governments including national sports leagues. In the new legislation, there may only be one major-level sports team every 500 miles to save on gas and energy http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/news/mediacentre/...-footprint.html. Many European teams are forced to merge and the American Premier League schedule is cut in half for 2014. Many inter-continental tournaments are halted to save on airline mileage. The new worldwide government says this is temporary. The D.C. United win an ironic championship.

2014: St. Louis Sentinels are awarded a franchise to raise the number of teams to 19, insuring that each team is granted at least 18 games (9 home, 9 away). San Jose Earthquakes are relegated to the USL I and the Pittsburgh Rivals are promoted.

2020: Environmental bans on inter-continental travel are lifted indefinitely, although travel expenses are too high for a few struggling clubs to participate, and the American Premier League is cut to just 12 clubs. Teams raise home games back to 15.

Clubs for 2021 Season:

30 games

Eastern Conference

Philadelphia Caps - Philadelphia redistricts and becomes essentially two cities. The Caps stadium houses the MLS All-Star Game and U.S. Cultural Team (formerly the United States National team) home games.

D.C. United - The squad has become the most prolific soccer franchise in America after winning the majority of APL championships since 2011 and having never been relegated to USL I. First team to integrate fan opinion mid-game with each fan choosing the lineup on their "cell-phones."

Sky Blue FC (New York City) - Club has its own airline. Team is paired with women's team and holds soccer camps worldwide.

Miami Crew - With new technology in sea travel, underline railroad from Caribbean countries make Miami the fourth largest city in (what was once) America. formerly Columbus Crew.

New England Revolution - The Revolution have paired with the Red Sox and Patriots to offer games at both Foxboro Field and Fenway Park. Fan-friendly.

Toronto FC - Save money by playing at a renovated Rogers Centre. Lucky to have kept all of their fan support from 2000s.

Western Conference

Los Angeles Galaxy - largest fan base. merged with Chivas in 2012.

F.C. Dallas - massive sports complex includes a baseball stadium and hockey/basketball arena. Entirely energy-proficient and runs on solar, wind, and recyclable energy from fans. The next step in stadium construction.

Salt Lake Royal Light - richest owners in sports. discovered a technique to store wind energy. Monopoly on the innovative technology was nationalized and the owners receive 200 trillion dollars over the next 200 years.

Sillicon Valley Earthquakes - Third installment of a San Jose-based team. Owned by F.C. Barcelona.

Vancouver Whitecaps - a minority owner invested in tidal energy in the late 1980s and funds the team's players. No in-stadium costs.

Seattle Sounders - Boeing reappears as an electric car manufacturer.

APL

Premier League-12 teams

USL I-16 teams

USL II-20 teams

PDL-64 teams

U.S. Open Cup-all 112 clubs eligible. all matches are played at neutral sites beginning with PDL stadiums in beginning stages and eventually to Caps' stadium in the Philadelphia area.

Announcement about Vancouver set for 1:15 EST today.

Yep. Entire backpage of the Vancouver Sun Sport's this morning was a huge full colour add, just blue seats and "10:15 AM, Something major is happening"

2009: Seattle Sounders FC added. Uneven divisions raise questions after 5 of the 7 teams from the Eastern Conference make the playoffs and only 3 of the 8 teams from the Western Conference make the playoffs. Columbus Crew repeat over the Los Angeles Galaxy in the MLS Cup.

(cut out the text due to length of your post).....

APL

Premier League-12 teams

USL I-16 teams

USL II-20 teams

PDL-64 teams

U.S. Open Cup-all 112 clubs eligible. all matches are played at neutral sites beginning with PDL stadiums in beginning stages and eventually to Caps' stadium in the Philadelphia area.

Uhhh, wow?

:blink:

(cut out the text due to length of your post).....

APL

Premier League-12 teams

USL I-16 teams

USL II-20 teams

PDL-64 teams

Uhhh, wow?

:blink:

We really need a "Fanfic" forum. :P

So far, this doesn't appear to be on any of Canada's three sports channels, which is a bit of joke. I mean hell, the Score shows TFC games!

Just stream it from the MLS site.

I'm actually listening to it on TEAM 1040, but I just can't pass up an oppertunity to complain about the Toronto focused media in this country. :P

Confirmed:

http://web.mlsnet.com/sights/2009/vancouver/

Not confirming the final expansion city - says decision will be coming soon but has not been made (even mentioned Ottawa as a possibility). Gotta keep the cities stringing along for SSS construction.

The Oregonian has a pretty good summary of the outstanding issues:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf...s_team_por.html

Would the Whitecaps keep their current logo and kits?

I'd say the colors, possilby updating the kits in some form, but overall I'd say the logo will be reworked. As it stands, it's okay for USL, but it could be classy-ed up a bit for the big time.

Or at least the North American big time, soccer-wise. As it stands, it's a bit garish, I think, a little cartoony.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Nothings been said. Current kit has no shirt sponsor, so that would probably change I guess. The current modernized whitecaps logo does look a little 90's now I guess.

Vancouver_Whitecaps.jpg For comparison: Original Whitecaps logo: 6022.gif

I'd say the colors, possilby updating the kits in some form, but overall I'd say the logo will be reworked. As it stands, it's okay for USL, but it could be classy-ed up a bit for the big time.

Or at least the North American big time, soccer-wise. As it stands, it's a bit garish, I think, a little cartoony.

I agree. It looks a little too minor leagues. I expect them to touch it up a bit for the MLS.

jNTsTyQ.png

Archived