Pitcher traded for bats found dead.

sacker12

The Internet is serious business.

I feel for Milo because I've been there. You want to simply debate points on their merits, and it always goes too far for someone else, and then personal insults get thrown around -- you're so great, you hate everything, nothing's good enough for you, you're an elitist, blah blah, blah.

Anyway, I don't see anything offensive in Milo's postings here. And Lee, f your cat.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't really offended by any jokes or anything, it's just that to take it to either extreme is stupid - no, no one here should be emotionally affected by it because no one here knew the guy or anything. If you're the type of person who musters up fake outrage over something like this, yeah, you're dumb. But to say it's okay to make jokes because the guy was a drug user and had a dumb tattoo? Come on, it's still a human life. You can defend your jokes about tragic events all you want, but if you're going to act the part of the :censored: at least cop to it.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

And Lee, f your cat.

Your childish attempts to belittle me and my cat are humourous to me, and I wish you would stop being such an elitist towards patsox. What makes you so special?

p.s. f your dog too, commie.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I wasn't really offended by any jokes or anything, it's just that to take it to either extreme is stupid - no, no one here should be emotionally affected by it because no one here knew the guy or anything. If you're the type of person who musters up fake outrage over something like this, yeah, you're dumb. But to say it's okay to make jokes because the guy was a drug user and had a dumb tattoo? Come on, it's still a human life. You can defend your jokes about tragic events all you want, but if you're going to act the part of the :censored: at least cop to it.

I don't think anyone has been making jokes here. Rather, some of us have been been looking at this from a slightly different perspective.

His story makes it sad. He was used by the teams involved in the trade for publicity and he got nothing out of it.

That he died the way he did and in complete anonymity makes this a pretty damn sad story.

He got an opportunity to continue playing baseball. Once you are as old as he was, and still have yet to crack AA, it's likely you never will. Now, I do not have the GBL's bylaws in front of me, so I don't know why they didn't cut him when he couldn't cross the border. Perhaps they felt he still deserved a chance to play baseball, so they "traded" him to Laredo....for as cheap as they could get and still call it a "trade."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That he died the way he did and in complete anonymity makes this a pretty damn sad story.

Billions of people throughout history have died in complete anonymity. I weep for every single one of their wonderful souls. They were all the best person that ever lived.

Billions of people throughout history have died in complete anonymity. I weep for every single one of their wonderful souls. They were all the best person that ever lived.

But the vast majority of those billions of people weren't used for publicity by a bush-league independent baseball circuit and made the butt of jokes all across North America.

Big difference.

But the vast majority of those billions of people weren't used for publicity by a bush-league independent baseball circuit and made the butt of jokes all across North America.

Big difference.

No, not really. He died. So what?

Big difference.

You keep saying he was used for publicity, but that's really not the case. His former team dumped him. They didn't want him, couldn't use him. That team didn't do cash deals by policy, so they traded him for equipment, something they could use. It's pretty much an equivalent of cash.

It wasn't done for publicity, it was a bush league team getting something in return for something else. Strange things happen in the bush leagues. As discussed here earlier, the guy was likely not making it anywhere due to his lack of progression at his age. Nobody had ever heard of him, and everyone would've soon forgotten him. There was no reason for him to have such thin skin about it.

Big difference.

You keep saying he was used for publicity, but that's really not the case. His former team dumped him. They didn't want him, couldn't use him. That team didn't do cash deals by policy, so they traded him for equipment, something they could use. It's pretty much an equivalent of cash.

It wasn't done for publicity, it was a bush league team getting something in return for something else. Strange things happen in the bush leagues. As discussed here earlier, the guy was likely not making it anywhere due to his lack of progression at his age. Nobody had ever heard of him, and everyone would've soon forgotten him. There was no reason for him to have such thin skin about it.

I know it's true that the strange things happen in the bush leagues and I'm equally sure that they traded his ass because he was a punk, but they may also have done it knowing that they could get some publicity out of it.

Big difference.

Except they never actually used the bats. Besides, 10 bats over the course of a season isn't much.

Of course it was done for publicity. The Broncos could have acquired numerous other players but instead made this deal. I'm sure their manager and GM didn't think "John Odom is the key to our season." A pitcher like him is a dime-a-dozen.

Once again Milo, you try putting up with all of the stuff he did. It isn't easy.

Once again Milo, you try putting up with all of the stuff he did. It isn't easy.

I did some searching to find out about all these things you keep mentioning he put up with, and couldn't find anything. Are you talking about prior traumatic life events? If so, please tell us so that we can have all the facts. Even so, we know for a fact that there are a good handful of people right here on the CCSLC (and everywhere else in real life) that are hanging in there, coping in healthier manners with unspeakable trauma. That's just the way it is; that's life.

If you're talking just about his drug addiction or embarrassment over being traded for bats, I think you should stop trying to get us to feel sorry for those things.

I did some searching to find out about all these things you keep mentioning he put up with, and couldn't find anything. Are you talking about prior traumatic life events? If so, please tell us so that we can have all the facts. Even so, we know for a fact that there are a good handful of people right here on the CCSLC (and everywhere else in real life) that are hanging in there, coping in healthier manners with unspeakable trauma. That's just the way it is; that's life.

If you're talking just about his drug addiction or embarrassment over being traded for bats, I think you should stop trying to get us to feel sorry for those things.

Everywhere he went he was "that guy." Every fan simply knew him as "the guy traded for equipment." That had to have been very difficult for any athlete. I covered this league and, even though it was low-level, the players were still proud.

I understand that a lot of people around here are dealing with trauma. Just most of them don't have to do it as the walking butt of a joke known all across the country.

Milo, please stop telling people what they should do. It doesn't suit you.

Everywhere he went he was "that guy." Every fan simply knew him as "the guy traded for equipment." That had to have been very difficult for any athlete. I covered this league and, even though it was low-level, the players were still proud.

I understand that a lot of people around here are dealing with trauma. Just most of them don't have to do it as the walking butt of a joke known all across the country.

Being traded for bats isn't trauma. It's kind of funny, and then everybody forgets about it. You making such a big deal out of it, and him killing himself over it is a tremendous disrespect to people who have real problems.

Being traded for bats isn't trauma. It's kind of funny, and then everybody forgets about it. You making such a big deal out of it, and him killing himself over it is a tremendous disrespect to people who have real problems.

For you it was funny.

The actual act might not be trauma. But being paraded the way he did and being made a spectacle and a joke when you were just an anonymous journeyman... yeah, that's pretty bad trauma.

How is his suicide (if it was suicide) a "tremendous disrespect" to other people's problems?

For you it was funny.

No. To most of the baseball world and fans, it was funny. That's why it was reported.

The actual act might not be trauma. But being paraded the way he did and being made a spectacle and a joke when you were just an anonymous journeyman... yeah, that's pretty bad trauma.

Exactly. I know there's a better way to phrase this that I can't think of at the moment. But sounding more insensitive than I want to, he wasn't famous or important enough to be so worked up about it. As a baseball player, he was irrelevant. This whole thing would've blown over quicker than he could imagine, and he'd be completely anonymous again.

How is his suicide (if it was suicide) a "tremendous disrespect" to other people's problems?

You honestly don't see it? Killing yourself over something so stupid, when people suck it up and deal with real problems?

For you it was funny.

No. To most of the baseball world and fans, it was funny. That's why it was reported.

Exactly. I know there's a better way to phrase this that I can't think of at the moment. But sounding more insensitive than I want to, he wasn't famous or important enough to be so worked up about it. As a baseball player, he was irrelevant. This whole thing would've blown over quicker than he could imagine, and he'd be completely anonymous again.

You honestly don't see it? Killing yourself over something so stupid, when people suck it up and deal with real problems?

1. But it wasn't funny and humorous to him. For example, lets say there was a funny thing going around about you at your office that really stung your pride. A lot of other people found it funny. Would you? Now multiply it by about 10,000.

2. If he were famous before, it would have been a lot easier to get through. Fame, er, notoriety is not easy for a lot of people to handle, especially if it comes that way.

3. So stupid for you. I hate using cliches, but you try to walk a mile in his shoes. That was a real problem for him.

No one is worthless enough to be traded for bats. It's sort of funny on the surface, but symbolically it is awful. Human life is always going to be more valuable than sticks made of wood.

But in sports, they don't trade for human lives. They trade for what a guy can do on the field, or whatever ultimately helps the club. His former team couldn't use him, and from all accounts I've read couldn't unload him anywhere else. They thought they could use the bats more than his services. They got something for him. That's sports, and specifically in this case, minor league sports.

As for BJ, I'm pretty much done debating with him. He's letting his modest-at-best connection to the guy get in the way of reason and realism.

No one is worthless enough to be traded for bats. It's sort of funny on the surface, but symbolically it is awful. Human life is always going to be more valuable than sticks made of wood.

But in sports, they don't trade for human lives. They trade for what a guy can do on the field, or whatever ultimately helps the club. His former team couldn't use him, and from all accounts I've read couldn't unload him anywhere else. They thought they could use the bats more than his services. They got something for him. That's sports, and specifically in this case, minor league sports.

As for BJ, I'm pretty much done debating with him. He's letting his modest-at-best connection to the guy get in the way of reason and realism.

Human beings however, do have emotions and thus can feel bad if traded for objects and are made into an object of ridicule themselves in the process.

Archived