Cincinnati Bengals To Unveil New Look On March 22

TruColor

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really understand why they needed this extra lettermark. If they wanted something to put on the sleeve, why not use that leaping cat or just the head? This new lettermark doesn't even fit with their current logo set. It's a different font entirely. Even the Browns did the same thing, only they aren't even bothering to use it on their uniforms (to my knowledge). I don't understand what NFL Properties or even the team owners are thinking lately.

holy yawn. THAT required a press release ?

Nitro, the reason they flood their team with numerous marks that never have any seemingly useful application is simple ... officially liscensed merchandise. More logos, means more variations to sell more of the same product over and over. Its cheaper than changing identities completely, but offers much of the same financial benefits. Unfortunately its a ridiculous practice that I can't stand, but ya gotta remember that these businesses (aka teams) arent like any other industry. Businesses in any market, other than sports, requires a strong singular brand to hold their water, while sports thrives on variety, the more combinations and varieties of a team logo you can offer, the more likely you are to find somebody out there who would like to buy it. Just think of all the meatballs that will now buy bengals merchandise ... people whos name begins with letter B, and they happen to like the tiger print. They keep these things vague for a purpose, and it unfortunately waters down their brand so much that they eventually have to go through a cleansing phase to strengthen their brand again (ie. new logo .. usually returning to something previously used that the fans loved ... after you alienate your audience you gotta get back your core market first).

and yeah philly79flyer ... it does look extremely similar to the typeface the Bills use.

from the website: "The leaping tiger had been the primary logo since 1997, and will still be used in a secondary role, as will the tiger head."

THAT decision makes no sense to me at all. They plan on using this B as their primary ? While the well crafted bengal tiger illustration gets bumped to secondary and tertiary ?

Here's the new mark with the new typeface as well:

newlogo2.gif

...and the story (from the Cincinnati Enquirer):

The Bengals this morning unveiled a new logo, a block B with signature orange-and-black stripes, and announced that they will unveil new uniforms on April 22.

Oh, by the way, they also released their preseason schedule. The Bengals will open their exhibition schedule the week of Aug. 12-16 at Tampa Bay before returning to Paul Brown Stadium to play host to Super Bowl champion New England during the week of Aug. 19-23.

The third preseason game is at Atlanta, and the finale will be at home against Indianapolis.

The long-anticipated uniform change will not include any alteration of the Bengals? distinctive striped helmets.

The block ?B? joins the helmet, the Bengal head and flying tiger as team logos.

Coach Marvin Lewis called the uniform redesign ?not radical? but a ?little more than subtle.?

The new uniforms are ?predicated on movement, speed and energy,? Lewis said.

Here's the new mark with the new typeface as well:

newlogo2.gif

The long-anticipated uniform change will not include any alteration of the Bengals? distinctive striped helmets.

The block ?B? joins the helmet, the Bengal head and flying tiger as team logos.

Coach Marvin Lewis called the uniform redesign ?not radical? but a ?little more than subtle.?

The new uniforms are ?predicated on movement, speed and energy,? Lewis said.

Hmmm, I wonder if this would mean more stripes. That typeface sucks. Arch it, and give it the same treatment as the new logo, and maybe you got something.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

newlogo2.gif

the sad part is that months of desighning, planning, and testing went into this. i could have thought of this in the 3rd grade!

i think the bengals will go retro, but try to incorporate the tiger stripes in some way. it could look nice, it could be a disaster. ive said it before, and ill say it again: they should follow the lead of the princton lax team.

Truth be told, I like the idea of the new "B" as a tertiery logo. I just wish it had something to do with their current typeface. The new one sucks in a bad, bad way. Oh well- what are you going to do? Apparently consistancy is not near as important in sports design as it is in the corporate world.

I like the new tertiary alogo, and the new wordmark looks amazingly good. I like it.

I hope the uniforms do not disappoint, but.. i feel that they will...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I like the new tertiary alogo, and the new wordmark looks amazingly good. I like it.

I hope the uniforms do not disappoint, but.. i feel that they will...

i'd like it to if it were the tertiary logo, but it sounds like its going to be the primary, the leapping tiger will be the secondary, and the tiger head will be the tertiary.

Archived