Sooner wagers Scholarship....

BrySmalls

Story

Oklahoma's Courtney Paris has not only guaranteed that the Sooners will win the NCAA women's basketball title, she's willing to put up her scholarship to back it up.

In a speech on senior night last week, Paris said that if the third-ranked Sooners don't win the title, she'll give back her scholarship money, valued at close to $64,000, according to a story in The Oklahoman.

"I have a passion for our fans and university, and I want to do something special," Paris said, according to The Oklahoman. "That's why I put my scholarship on the table. I meant what I said."

The Sooners are ranked third in the polls and are the top seed in the Big 12 tournament. Still, they face by most accounts a daunting challenge if their path to the national title is obstructed by No. 1 Connecticut. UConn is 31-0 overall and routed Oklahoma by 28 points back in November.

"I feel like we're not missing pieces," Paris said. "If we play hard, we execute, we are a great team that can win a national championship," Paris said. "If we don't do that, it won't be because we're not good enough.

"So when you're good enough and don't do something, then you have to take accountability for that and that's your own fault. We can win a national championship. If we don't, I'll feel like I didn't earn my scholarship."

Is she out of her mind and/or does this count as illegal gambling?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guarantee if the Sooners don't win the national title, Courtney will be flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Only if the WNBA folds.

She was the AP national player of the year two years ago, has only played four games where she didn't get a double-double, and is on the verge of her 3rd Conference player of the year award.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I guarantee if the Sooners don't win the national title, Courtney will be flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Only if the WNBA folds.

She was the AP national player of the year two years ago, has only played four games where she didn't get a double-double, and is on the verge of her 3rd Conference player of the year award.

Well, she can put that on her McDonald's application form.

I saw, I came, I left.

Only if the WNBA folds.

Well, she can put that on her McDonald's application form.

With that on her application, she might bypass burger flippin' and go right to the deep frier. Or *gasp*, maybe the drive-thru window.

Where's the sexism?

Take off your blinders and look in the thread.

Your grasping for straws, capp.

You're telling me that if this was a male basketball player, you'd still see posts saying that they'll be working at McDonalds? Wake up and smell the reality. I know that's a hard thing for you to do, but you could at least try.

Where's the sexism?

You're telling me that if this was a male basketball player, you'd still see posts saying that they'll be working at McDonalds? Wake up and smell the reality. I know that's a hard thing for you to do, but you could at least try.

This comment makes NO SENSE.

:lol:

Capp, stop while you're ahead.

You live in Georgia, right? Stop :censored:ing your sister.

You all are so deep in denial that you don't want to even think that you may be wrong.

LOW.

BLOW.

That was rude, man. Have some damn respect.

Where's the sexism?

Okay.

*takes blinders off and re-reads thread*

Nope. Don't see any sexism. I see a woman who wagered her basketball scholarship against winning the NCAA championship. The comments thus far have expressed that such a wager is stupid, especially since there is a UConn team which (apparently, I don't follow women's hoops) is steamrolling through everyone -- including Ms. Paris' Sooners squad earlier this year. Therefore, on the assumption that Ms. Paris will lose her wager and she will follow through giving back her free tuition money, she won't have enough money to pay for the rest of her schooling and take the stereotypical burger-flipping job to pay the bills. (Rams80 did mention the WNBA as her next step, but that's beside the point.) The joke of her accomplishments (e.g. AP PotY, 3-time conference PotY) allowing her to "move up the fast food ladder" to drive-thru clerk is a joke, nothing more and nothing less. The snide remarks are due to this being a stupid bet. Not because she's a woman. So tell me, where's the sexism?

I'd venture to say that if this was Blake Griffin making the same wager, the same comments would be made.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

You all are so deep in denial that you don't want to even think that you may be wrong.

LOW.

BLOW.

That was rude, man. Have some damn respect.

WHOA, I agree, that's not right. Plus I don't see sexism either. I see a woman who is risking her scholarship for a dream. She fails, she will be at McDonalds flipping burgers to support herself and her schooling. If it was a "man", the same would apply. It doesn't matter if they are NBA or WNBA material, they would still have to support themselves through college.

Shut the hell up. What the :censored: is wrong with you?

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Where's the sexism?

Absolutely. Actually, the comments would probably be more harsh. You're looking for something that isn't there... and coming off like an idiot for it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Returning to the subject, she is more than likely going to use her earnings from the WNBA to pay back the sschool. If not, her dad could cut a check as he did have a nearly 10 year career in the NFL. A trust fund for his children's education was probably established for all six of them.

Archived