Nashville Predators: New thirds by Xmas

ManCalledAmp

I went on to the Preds' website to check the remaining schedule, etc., and stumbled across this interesting article about the imminent third jersey. Apparently they have it narrowed down to two finalists, and will make the final decision after more testing. I like the fact that they're going for something a bit classier (supposedly), they're not like the mustard sweaters, that they took their time and let things settle down, and that they're testing for on-ice aesthetics (and ease on broadcasters/fans) before making a decision. I don't like the fact that Reebok got involved, tweaking things, and it was a pitch and catch back and forth for a while.

Also, and this is coming from a die-hard Preds fan since basically the inaugural season...but how in the world do you make a "classic meets retro" look for a team that will be 11 years old, is in a non-traditional hockey market, and is named after and inspired by an extinct animal and a fossil? I love my Preds, and a lot of what we do...but the prospects of what this (and the possibly heavy Reebok involvement) make me more than a shade nervous.

Hey, maybe we'll see South Stars, Knights, or Dixie Flyers throwbacks? That's classic and retro...

It'll never happen, but I can dream...

Now Oz, drag me away before I rant about awesome throwback possibilities or what I don't want this thread hijacked into...

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went on to the Preds' website to check the remaining schedule, etc., and stumbled across this interesting article about the imminent third jersey. Apparently they have it narrowed down to two finalists, and will make the final decision after more testing. I like the fact that they're going for something a bit classier (supposedly), they're not like the mustard sweaters, that they took their time and let things settle down, and that they're testing for on-ice aesthetics (and ease on broadcasters/fans) before making a decision. I don't like the fact that Reebok got involved, tweaking things, and it was a pitch and catch back and forth for a while.

Also, and this is coming from a die-hard Preds fan since basically the inaugural season...but how in the world do you make a "classic meets retro" look for a team that will be 11 years old, is in a non-traditional hockey market, and is named after and inspired by an extinct animal and a fossil? I love my Preds, and a lot of what we do...but the prospects of what this (and the possibly heavy Reebok involvement) make me more than a shade nervous.

Hey, maybe we'll see South Stars, Knights, or Dixie Flyers throwbacks? That's classic and retro...

It'll never happen, but I can dream...

Now Oz, drag me away before I rant about awesome throwback possibilities or what I don't want this thread hijacked into...

they don't need a classic retro. they need to scratch what they have and start over and overhaul the set. Logo/colors/uniforms the whole works.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I didn't read the article, but I've wanted to see a silver jersey in the NHL for a long time. The Predators would be the perfect team to test it out. Silver jersey, blue pants, silver socks, and I think they'd have to wear white helmets to keep in line with the NHL's rule as the opposing team would have to wear their dark uniform. If not that then yellow, not mustard would look just fine.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Why are you bring my name into to this?

;)

But seriously I am just as anxious as everyone else to see what comes of this.

Why are you bring my name into to this?

;)

But seriously I am just as anxious as everyone else to see what comes of this.

I drag your name into this because you're the closest on the CCSLC to someone I know IRL, and you're as die hard a Preds fan as I am. Therefore I know you could stem any fanboy ranting by throwing me into a padded room. Lol.

I actually liked the original navy and white uniforms. I loathed the mustard-over-blue monstrosities. The current home and road are...okay...? I don't hate them, even though we could do so much better. However, they could look much worse also.

I'm surprised it took so many posts to get to the inevitable folding/moving talk...but I also hope that's where it ends. For one thing we're discussing a jersey (announced for this year), not the state of a franchise. And for another, best I can tell ownership is solid and attendance is up slightly for the Preds, even if the league itself is on shaky ground. It looks like the Preds are pretty stable for now, from where I'm sitting.

And back to the jerseys...I'm not sure what I'd want for a third. I could live with a yellow jersey if it was done in a non-garish way. I'm not holding my breath however. I could see black being used since the fad has almost become blase...and it doesn't horrify me, to be honest. Not a fan of it, but it could be worse. I would like silver (again, if done right)....it would need to be dark enough to not look like dirty white, and preferably not shiny like the Dallas Mavericks' trash bag uniforms...and with other colors in to balance it out.

However, I could see them going a new direction with the third maybe. They could potentially pull a color from one of the logos, like orange from the primary, or (more likely IMO) the light blue from the fossil logo's outline. Make a powder blue lace-up pullover (it's a lace up so it's "classic," colored like the Dixie Flyers so it's retro, and ties in with the Titans) with actual arm stripes (like the Leafs), use one of the alt logos (3-d tiger or fossil) with the other or the primary on the shoulders or sleeves, and there you have it.

It wouldn't be traditional...but it also wouldn't be tremendously out there. Can't say it would be my all time favorite necessarily...but I kinda like the idea.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Also, and this is coming from a die-hard Preds fan since basically the inaugural season...but how in the world do you make a "classic meets retro" look for a team that will be 11 years old, is in a non-traditional hockey market, and is named after and inspired by an extinct animal and a fossil?
I didn't read the article, but I've wanted to see a silver jersey in the NHL for a long time. The Predators would be the perfect team to test it out. Silver jersey, blue pants, silver socks, and I think they'd have to wear white helmets to keep in line with the NHL's rule as the opposing team would have to wear their dark uniform.

Maybe it should look like this. :D

Will they even be in Nashville at that point?

Hopefully not.

What part of "I don't want this thread hijacked into..." do you not understand?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Will they even be in Nashville at that point?

Hopefully not.

Agreed. There should be something in the community TOS preventing short-sighted discussion of relocating certain teams based solely on which side of the Mason-Dixon line they reside.

Or maybe there could be a thread about why the Predators should be moved and you could talk about it in that thread, instead of this one, which is supposed to be about their third jerseys.

I think a silver jersey done like habsfan's concept could be great. As long as it's more gray and less of a "silky, shiny" silver.

I imagine whatever they trot out will be horrible, though. I hope I'm wrong. I would think in a market like Nashville, something more traditional-looking would sell better.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

I guess the whole thing.

I was responding to the question. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Honestly you guys are like a bunch of 5 year olds. "Mom he stole my sucker!" "Mom he hijacked my thread!" Seriously, take it easy.

beLEAF

I would say the fact that the team has piss poor attendance and bleeds money is more of an indicator for wanting to move them then anything else.

The Tampa Bay Lightning, Dallas Stars, and even your San Jose Sharks are all in non-traditional hockey markets, but no one's suggesting they move, because unlike the Nashville Predators they've built up fan bases and actually turn a profit.

Just something to think about.

Piss poor attendance? That is an interesting observation, especially considering they're on pace to exceed what's necessary for revenue sharing.

Bleeding money? It's hard to do that when you're on pace to make profit for the second straight year under new, local ownership.

If anything is an indicator of you wanting to see them move, it's the fact that you live within spitting distance of Hamilton, Ontario. The Predators have one of the most dedicated and loudest fan bases in the league, they just seem to have more fair-weathered fans than any other team in the league, especially the walk-up fans. However, this is no indicator of whether or not a team should or is going to move.

"Just something to think about."

[/rantInducedByTheIgnoranceOfOthers]

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Word on the Preds' boards is that they won't be Mustard again, or at least not in the same way the previous thirds were, with the mustard mesh over blue mesh. Some say they keep hearing another blue jersey. This greatly disappointing to me. I'd love to see another Mustard/yellow jersey, maybe even a silver one, but I'd hate to see another blue one. It's repetitively redundant.

Oh, and this:

pilote.jpg

could be considered "traditional and retro," as the article says. I'd LOVE to see some sort of tribute to Nashville's first team.

Here's the thread on the Preds' board about the thirds, which contains a few decent concepts of yellow, silver, and blue jerseys.

Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • LinkedIn • Tumblr

What the :censored: is wrong with you capp? You need to chill.

I'm not the one with the problem.

:lol:

All you do is insult people. Really, what makes you think that it is okay?

People wouldn't get such malice if they reconsidered their posting habits a little more.

Take your own damn advice.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived