Last 76ers Game at the Spectrum

BB61

Another cool thing about the Spectrum is that the parent company (Spectacor) also owned a pay-TV channel which was pretty much the only way to watch any event being held at the arena (only road games were broadcast on standard cable or free TV.

[Joel Clark]

The name of the Spectum's TV Channel?

Prism.

[Dan Tullus]

Thanks, Joel.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope, the Bulls are in their alternate blacks today. Perhaps in mourning for the Spectrum?

Mourning their credibility as a basketball team after shooting 31% and getting lit up by Marcin Gortat.

"getting lit up by Marcin Gortat" - Member of YOUR Anaheim Arsenal before getting picked up by the Magic early in the 07-08 season !

[Joel Clark]

The name of the Spectum's TV Channel?

Prism.

[Dan Tullus]

Thanks, Joel.

But was it $20 a month to watch games on it? :) /radiocommercial

Anyway, I was disappointed that the Bulls didn't at least wear red. That would have been old school enough, but I guess the black jerseys existed when the 76ers left.... but not in 1983.

I really like the Philly sports complex and thought it was nice they left the Spectrum open for the Phantoms and smaller events.

One question though: Did the Sixers already make a big deal about the "last game in the Spectrum" back in 1996? I'd feel a bit ripped off if I paid $75 -- or whatever -- for a cheap seat back then only to have them say goodbye again in another "last game" 13 years later.

Hey, PRISM also had "Gremlins" three times a day, plus whatever no-name group was playing at the TLA... :D

They also had the weeknight home Phillies games at the Vet, so most of us never saw the 26-7 Von Hayes game in 1985 or the major comeback in 1989 against the Pirates.

I think the Sixers and Flyers each had a small send-off in their final regular season games back in '96, but the Sixers one wasn't anything great. They were the 2nd-worst team in the NBA that year. The Flyers' last playoff game was a 2-1 OT loss vs the Florida Panthers, then Florida clinched at home in 6 the next game...

Hey, PRISM also had "Gremlins" three times a day, plus whatever no-name group was playing at the TLA... :D

They also had the weeknight home Phillies games at the Vet, so most of us never saw the 26-7 Von Hayes game in 1985 or the major comeback in 1989 against the Pirates.

I think the Sixers and Flyers each had a small send-off in their final regular season games back in '96, but the Sixers one wasn't anything great. They were the 2nd-worst team in the NBA that year. The Flyers' last playoff game was a 2-1 OT loss vs the Florida Panthers, then Florida clinched at home in 6 the next game...

Growing up, I didn't know what it was like to see the Flyers or Sixers in their white uniforms (except for that one season that the NHL reversed home and road after the all-star break.) It was always a special occasion when there was the oddball home game on free TV, or if I could tune in a NYC channel and watch the Rangers play the Flyers at the Spectrum (featuring Bob Frose as the Rangers goalie, fresh off his "career" in Philadelphia.) Not even the Flyers home Stanley Cup Finals games vs. Edmonton ('85 and '87) were on broadcast TV or basic cable. I can't believe how far sports broadcasting has come since then, when now anyone with basic cable can watch every game, home or away.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can't believe how far sports broadcasting has come since then, when now anyone with basic cable can watch every game, home or away.

Yet it's also gone backwards in the sense that you can't watch a single local game on broadcast TV anymore.

What other teams would we like to see play one more game in a stadium or arena that they use to play in? Including redoing the floor and wearing throwback uniforms.

I would like to see the Bucks play at the MECCA.

The Astros in the dome! It still stands, too. Calling it a dump, though, would be an insult to dumps. The city has no clue what to do with it and it gets little to no maintenance.

Not to mention the Old Yankee Stadium. It still has some purpose to hold some events!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

I'd like to see the Braves play at Boston's Nickerson field, however strange as that may be (if even possible).

Impossible since you'd need to tear down some dorms at BU (and Walter Brown Arena) to do it.

I'd love to see the Celtics and the Bruins play a game in Matthews Arena (fka the Boston Arena) where both teams originally played. The Arena is now the home ice/court for my Northeastern Huskies.

I'd DIE to see the Pats play at Fenway Park, but the greedy bastards (I mean owners) of the Red Sox would never let anyone do anything to their precious grass (except for tha concert they have every year), that doesn't directly promote the Red Sox.

We asked the Sox to play a football game against UMass one November - it was the year the Sox were replacing their turf AND digging up their infield, so there would be no damage to the field since it was all getting replaced anyway, and the Sox asked for such ludicrous considerations that it wasn't even worth the effort to do the game.

I'd like to see the Braves play at Boston's Nickerson field, however strange as that may be (if even possible).

Impossible since you'd need to tear down some dorms at BU (and Walter Brown Arena) to do it.

I'd love to see the Celtics and the Bruins play a game in Matthews Arena (fka the Boston Arena) where both teams originally played. The Arena is now the home ice/court for my Northeastern Huskies.

I'd DIE to see the Pats play at Fenway Park, but the greedy bastards (I mean owners) of the Red Sox would never let anyone do anything to their precious grass (except for tha concert they have every year), that doesn't directly promote the Red Sox.

We asked the Sox to play a football game against UMass one November - it was the year the Sox were replacing their turf AND digging up their infield, so there would be no damage to the field since it was all getting replaced anyway, and the Sox asked for such ludicrous considerations that it wasn't even worth the effort to do the game.

I was pretty sure it was impossible considering how close the dorms and the pike are and the configuration of the stands.

Weren't both those places real dumps? Not that some of these places are in much better condition, but still.

Maybe Teaneck was, but I've been to Rutgers games at the RAC recently and it's a pretty nice venue. Not NBA level, perhaps, but comparable with any other on-campus major college arena.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I don't know a whole lot about basketball or the significance of this event, but the fact that a team played one final regular season game in their old arena with a throwback court and uniforms is really, really cool. I hope that this catches on and other teams in other sports do the same thing.

stoneraizersig.jpg

Reunion Arena was set to be torn down this month. I haven't seen any recent news on this. I would guess that Mark Cuban would hold a last game there if he could make money off of it.

Archived