New Johnny Canuck Logo

AsM29

The Leafs logo for instance looks incredibly dated with that font and the stylistic lines they use. I personally think it's an overrated piece of crap but Leafs' fan seem to like it.

FTR the majority of Leafs fans I know (myself included) would love to see a return to the classic Leafs crest used on their alt sweaters.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like it a lot, but green and blue is still Hartford Whalers and only Hartford Whalers to me. And their take on it was better than Vancouver's, which don't contrast enough. The logo itself though is very good, and a few of you are going a little too hard on it. It has a certain "old-time hand-drawn logo" look to it, yes, but that's good!

The only small problem with going to this is that it means yet another uniform era for the poor Vancouver Canucks. They'll never settle on anything.

Man, one team does not own a colour scheme. And anyways, the whalers have been dead for over a decade.

I know, but green and blue is kind of distinct across the big four. I grew up with the Whalers in green and blue, not the Canucks, so I associate it with them. Even though the Canucks have a legitimate claim to royal blue and kelly green, since it throws back to their '70s uniforms and has a vaguely British Columbian motif, I don't think it looks good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think that brings up an important distinction which, to me at least, separates the two:

The Whalers were a green with blue team. The Canucks were, and currently are, a blue with green team. Roughly the same colors, yet, but used in such completely different fashions and amounts that the idea of copycatting or redundancy never crosses my mind. It's a bit like that across a lot of teams in baseball: You have the Cubs, who are blue with red; you have the Cardinals, who are red with blue; and you have the Rangers and Nationals, who can't figure out what the hell they are, exactly.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Does anyone outside of a few logo geeks really care about the Hartford Whalers? I guarantee you that 99.999% of the population never thinks about the Whalers and does not see any connection with the Canucks. It's a completely trivial issue outside this forum.

Get :censored: ed.

*Saves as a standard response to any letterform post*

All I'm pointing out is that most people don't care about the minutia of sports logos and uniforms - much less that of a defunct NHL franchise. Yes, WE care, but it's only people on message boards such as this that go into this detail. For that I should go screw myself?

DEATH TO REEBOK

Does anyone outside of a few logo geeks really care about the Hartford Whalers? I guarantee you that 99.999% of the population never thinks about the Whalers and does not see any connection with the Canucks. It's a completely trivial issue outside this forum.

All I'm pointing out is that most people don't care about the minutia of sports logos and uniforms - much less that of a defunct NHL franchise. Yes, WE care, but it's only people on message boards such as this that go into this detail. For that I should go screw myself?

For telling logo geeks "Does anyone outside of a few logo geeks really care about ..."

I think that's an automoatic "screw you" from this community...

Why whould it not be?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

For telling logo geeks "Does anyone outside of a few logo geeks really care about ..."

I think that's an automoatic "screw you" from this community...

Why whould it not be?

YOU are referring to the community as "logo geeks". But you're offended because I referenced "logo geeks"?

Really?

Are you sure we're not totally overreacting here?

DEATH TO REEBOK

Actually, during the years that I knew the Whalers existed, they were navy with silver and green, which is pretty far from what the Canucks wear, which makes my stance even more untenable. Can it just be enough to say I think the Canucks look bad?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know, but green and blue is kind of distinct across the big four. I grew up with the Whalers in green and blue, not the Canucks, so I associate it with them. Even though the Canucks have a legitimate claim to royal blue and kelly green, since it throws back to their '70s uniforms and has a vaguely British Columbian motif, I don't think it looks good.

I'm kind of with you on this, as I've always associated the blue/green scheme with Hartford (though for most of my life they were green with blue trim) and the red/yellow/black scheme with Vancouver (I never got used to the maroon and navy.)

However, blue and green is also a color that is associated with the Pacific Northwest, so I don't have an issue with the Canucks exploiting it. I think it's kind of cool actually. Also, after years of hating their orca logo, I've finally started to appreciate it and like it. It sucks that they had to ruin it by spelling out VANCOUVER over it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

True enough - the "VANCOUVER" utterly spoils what would have been a beautiful uniform.

I always hated the Orca, but the new colors simplify it down, and bring out a real beauty in the design. One of the few recolorings that turned a bad logo into a good one.

And FWIW, and not that it has anything to do with the Canucks, but people who like hockey care about the Whalers. There's a reason that the NHL is desperate to get Whaler merchandise back into their stores. If people didn't care, why would the NHL go through the hassle of licensing the logo back from Connecticut?

For a "defunct" franchise, you would hardly know it. There are still lots of Whalers fans in the Hartford/Springfield area since they only moved twelve years ago. I see people wearing Whalers garb every day at my college and trust me--it's not because they are logo geeks.

True enough - the "VANCOUVER" utterly spoils what would have been a beautiful uniform.

I always hated the Orca, but the new colors simplify it down, and bring out a real beauty in the design. One of the few recolorings that turned a bad logo into a good one.

But the logo has no green, the jersey in mainly royal blue and green but the logo is mainly dark blue, it makes no sense.

For a "defunct" franchise, you would hardly know it. There are still lots of Whalers fans in the Hartford/Springfield area since they only moved twelve years ago. I see people wearing Whalers garb every day at my college and trust me--it's not because they are logo geeks.

I've got no beef with the Whalers and I don't doubt their fanbase. They obviously have a pretty strong brand in terms of their logo. All I'm saying is that I don't believe people outside of a message board like this generally get in a tizzy about the fact they shared a similar colour scheme to the Canucks. It's a silly arguement. I rank it right up there with the arguement that the Washington Capitals logo should have capital letters.

DEATH TO REEBOK

So you're suggesting that people on a sports logo board might care more about logo and jersey details than most fans?

Really? Really?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

So you're suggesting that people on a sports logo board might care more about logo and jersey details than most fans?

Really? Really?

Why yes I am........

and conversely...........

people outside of this message board probably don't care at all about the Whalers' and Canucks' colour schemes.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Really? Really?

Why yes I am........

people outside of this message board probably don't care at all about the Whalers' and Canucks' colour schemes.

Are you telling us you're not recognizing sarcasm when you see it?

:blink:

Really? Really?

Why yes I am........

Are you telling us you're not recognizing sarcasm when you see it?

:blink:

Every other form of logic tends to escape him, why not this one?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived