Houston Or Winnipeg?

IceCap

Which city should recieve a NHL team?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BTW, the IHL collapsed, they're in the AHL now... ^_^

Goes to show how much I really know about hockey. Compared to the MLB & NFL I just always thought Salt Lake had a legitimate chance at getting an NHL team out of the remaining professional sporting leagues.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

im for a 30-32 team leauge if all the teams are in hockey markets. move florida, nashville, washington, and san jose to winnipeg, seattle, portland, and salt lake. i would rather see a team in salt lake over a team in houston any day. hear that, vartex!?!?!? :flagcanada:

I say Houston gets a franchise before Winnepeg gets 1 again.

no, they wont. the owner of the houston texans first tried to get a nhl franchise in houston, and the nhl said no. the nfl was his 2nd choice. besides, bettman, in probablly the only intelligent thing he has ever said, stated that the nhl will no longer expand, and if teams do re-locate (and we all know that alot of them will) they will move to a "natural hockey market." last i checked, no city in the sunbelt is considerd a "natural hockey market."

it would be a crime if nashville got a team and buffalo didnt. :cursing:

I would prefer to see the NHL contract 4-6 teams and hopefully by consequence improve the quality of play in the minors, thus allowing markets like Houston to have good pro hockey at an affordable price and without them feeling like they are being shortchanged.

I say Houston gets a franchise before Winnepeg gets 1 again.

no, they wont. the owner of the houston texans first tried to get a nhl franchise in houston, and the nhl said no. the nfl was his 2nd choice. besides, bettman, in probablly the only intelligent thing he has ever said, stated that the nhl will no longer expand, and if teams do re-locate (and we all no that alot of them will) they will move to a "natural hockey market." last i checked, no city in the sunbelt is considerd a "natural hockey market."

it would be a crime if nashville got a team and buffalo didnt. :cursing:

Thats only part of the story. The owner of the Texans (I still hate that name). Was going after both frachices at the same time. When the Aeros owner couldn't find a suteable place to relocate the AHL team, and with the support Houston has for their AHL team. He dropped his hunt for an NHL franchise. Because the NHL has to accept or deny a frachise request. It was denied. Now that a couple cities have opened up and the folding of the IHL, a brand new 15,000 seat arena, gives more chance for a NHL franchise in Houston. I won't like it because as I said it takes away another Minor League City.

I would prefer to see the NHL contract 4-6 teams and hopefully by consequence improve the quality of play in the minors, thus allowing markets like Houston to have good pro hockey at an affordable price and without them feeling like they are being shortchanged.

I agree. at this point, the talent is stretched out over more temas than ever before. I don't know if it will ever happen, but I think it's in hockey's best interests to look at teh teams, and eliminate those that are not doing well enough to survive. Perhaps not fold them, but merge some teams together...there are some teams that are not in markets that have high levels of support, it's time to explore other markets to survive in, or consider merging or folding.

but expanding further? i shudder to think of what players would fill such a team. would the minor league system be able to accomodate more NHL clubs?

still, even if houston has approved upon its chances of getting a nhl team, they wont because to quote bettman again "natural hockey markets." i geuss he FINALLY learned his lession. bettman can save his reputation as comish. if he moved some southern teams (and the northern ones that are stugguling: pittsburgh) up into "natural hockey markets" , like winnipeg, seattle, portland and salt lake. this is not exopansion-just re-location. afterward the struggiling southern teams that are still around can fold. there should only be 4 southern teams: tampa, atlanta, la, and dallas.

Not that Houston is a horrible choice, but there's a few other cities that should be a higher priority.

Winnipeg

Seattle

Cleveland

Portland

Milwaukee

Hartford

Y'know... Raleigh could use a pro hockey team too. :D

What do you mean? There's a pro team on the ice at every game. OH... you mean BESIDES the vistors!

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived