NRL/AFL Concepts

Gazzzaf

Hi All,

As I always lose steam with my concept series (not like I have posted any in a while anyway). I've decided that I should lump them all together in one thread so I can work on more than one set at once. I plan on doing mainly Australian concepts like before with a little this and that thrown in. Links in bold are the latest iterations if you feel like skipping all the old stuff.

*I had Super 14 concepts listed here before but these will be posted separately. It's a joint project with the immensely talented Fraser Davidson, keep your eyes peeled.

AFL

Adelaide Crows (Revision 1) (Revision 2) (Revision 3)

Brisbane Lions

Carlton Blues

Collingwood Magpies (Revision 1)

Essendon Bombers (Revision 1)

Footscray Bulldogs

Fremantle Dockers

Geelong Cats

Gold Coast Guards

Hawthorn Hawks

Melbourne Demons

North Melbourne Kangaroos

Port Adelaide Power (Revision 1)

Richmond Tigers

St. Kilda Saints (Revision 1)

Sydney Swans

West Coast Eagles

NRL

Auckland Warriors (Revision 1)

Brisbane Broncos

Canberra Raiders

Canterbury Bulldogs

Central Coast Bears (Revision 1) (Revision 2)

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

Eastern Suburbs Roosters (Revision 1)

Gold Coast Titans (Revision 1) (Revision 2)

Manly-Warringah Sea-Eagles

Melbourne Storm (Revision 1)

Newcastle Knights (Revision 1)

North Queensland Cowboys

Parramatta Eels

Penrith Panthers (Revision 1)

Perth Reds (Revision 1)

South Sydney Rabbitohs (Revision 1) (Revision 2) (Revision 3)

St. George-Illawarra Dragons (Revision 1) (Revision 2) (Revision 3)

Wests Tigers

International Rugby

NZ AllBlacks

sig.png

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a revised Adelaide, I got rid of most of the white on the primary and switched red and blue on the secondary.I think it looks a lot more like the Crows now.

2009_afl_crows_pri_11.jpg

2009_afl_crows_pri_21.jpg

2009_afl_crows_sec_11.jpg

2009_afl_crows_sec_21.jpg

sig.png

The Bears released a new logo for their NRL tilt only this week Gaz

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/ffximage/2009/0...__300x320,0.jpg

I like the modernised take on their traditional and 1980s strips. White one is nice too. Not so keen on the meandering bear, he's a bit lacking in character.

liverpool-1.png

South Sydney Rabbitohs (NRL)

2009_nrl_rabbitohs_pri_1.jpg

2009_nrl_rabbitohs_pri_2.jpg

2009_nrl_rabbitohs_sec1.jpg

Well, for openers, Roy Asotasi's wearing 10. :P

Overall, this concept is a quite nice one. I think the Bunnies have really gone on black overkill this year and need to scale that back drastically. The black bunny, first on the away kits and now on the homes, just doesn't seem right on the chest - I don't care how much it may be Russell's darling. Having it on the white shorts instead seems a far better fit.

I don't care much for your choice of number font, but God, anything's better than that egregious Impact they've slapped on the backs this year. Just go back to the standard block numbers, please. (And I wouldn't mind black numbers on one shirt, white on the other.)

Also, remember that sponsorship is going to eat up more of the space on your shirt. If DeLonghi's on the front, NAB's going to be on the back, and vice versa for the other shirt. Does any NRL team use last names on the back of their shirts, by the way?

The 3rd jersey you've created is definitely a departure, but I like it a lot, especially after you added the sleeve stripes. Excellent pick on the green shorts, too.

Oh, and don't forget the "1908" in the sock stripe.

(By the way, I have spent this time writing this critique rather than viewing the second half of the Souths-Knights game. I can only take so much punishment in one day.)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Gaz: why the orange logo for a red and black team?

The orange is supposed to be red. Something must have happened when I pasted from Illustrator to Photoshop. One of the files may be set to CMYK somewhere.

sig.png

Well, for openers, Roy Asotasi's wearing 10. :P

I should have picked that one up. I was basing it from memory of a Foxtel ad for Monday night footy where he tackles some bloke's boss.

I don't care much for your choice of number font, but God, anything's better than that egregious Impact they've slapped on the backs this year. Just go back to the standard block numbers, please. (And I wouldn't mind black numbers on one shirt, white on the other.)

Also, remember that sponsorship is going to eat up more of the space on your shirt. If DeLonghi's on the front, NAB's going to be on the back, and vice versa for the other shirt. Does any NRL team use last names on the back of their shirts, by the way?

The 3rd jersey you've created is definitely a departure, but I like it a lot, especially after you added the sleeve stripes. Excellent pick on the green shorts, too.

Oh, and don't forget the "1908" in the sock stripe.

One of the ideas with the number fonts is to standardise them across the league ala FA Premier League. I'm with you regarding the use of impact as a number font, in the last few years the Warriors and Cowboys have used them as well, its hard to read from a distance. The block font that most clubs used is pretty hard to find

I've done a lot of NRL concepts and frankly I don't care for the amount of sponsors on the uniforms these days, one will do me. No teams use player names at club level, just for State of Origin and City-Country as far as I know. I'm looking to reduce the amount of clutter on the uniforms and this includes patches and things of the like; the uniform itself should convey the identity enough.

(By the way, I have spent this time writing this critique rather than viewing the second half of the Souths-Knights game. I can only take so much punishment in one day.)

I wont say a word. I was at the Souths Eels match last week, my cousin is a bunnies fan and I go down to see them every so often. I've got you beat for punishment for the season so far though, Raiders 0/3...

sig.png

The block font that most clubs used is pretty hard to find

Check out eriqjaffe's collection of fonts - the NHL's New York Islanders use a pretty similar number font. The only differences I can think of offhand are the 5 (NRL's has a serif coming off the top) and the 8.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived