NCAA Tournament Floors

fufkin

I don't know why they ever went away from the old way they decorated floors. NCAA logos in the CORNERS where no one could slip on them. A small NCAA logo in the CENTER, where the old, small center circle was. Occasionally, they'd throw NCAA logos in to the area between the key and the 3-point line.

One thing I really miss is something they last did at the '86 Final Four, putting the participating teams logos on the sideline. They did this at regionals as well, I believe.

Visit Blogging the Bracket, SBNation's Bracketology and College Hoops Rambling site and Follow me on Twitter

Reasonable minds can differ, but I'm right. - Jay Bilas

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked into this a little further, and what the NCAA did was determine which courts could have all logos covered by three or fewer decals (center court, both endlines). For those that could not be covered, a generic floor was provided by the NCAA. This was done to address problems where large decals were used to cover logos that extended far into each end of the court.

I guess that would explain Portland getting one since that big wheel thing is at half court, not to mention it says Rose Garden and stuff. I like Portland's floor though, its too bad they had to go all generic.

I checked into this a little further, and what the NCAA did was determine which courts could have all logos covered by three or fewer decals (center court, both endlines). For those that could not be covered, a generic floor was provided by the NCAA. This was done to address problems where large decals were used to cover logos that extended far into each end of the court.

That explains a lot ... like Boise:

boise%20state%20court.jpg

And maybe even Greensboro:

ACC%20women%20practice%20030409.jpg

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Does anyone else think it's kind ofschadenfreude-sweet that the NCAA's "Corporate Champion" Coca-Cola had to endure games being played at Boise's Pepsi-driven TACO BELL ARENA, with bright blue baseline wordmark for all to see?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Does anyone else think it's kind ofschadenfreude-sweet that the NCAA's "Corporate Champion" Coca-Cola had to endure games being played at Boise's Pepsi-driven TACO BELL ARENA, with bright blue baseline wordmark for all to see?

Why do you have to make that statement when Coke holds the pourings rights for the arena in the 1st place? Seriously, go to the Broncos' website and Coke will be prominently be displayed in the sponsors area of the site.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Pepsi doesn't own Taco Bell. Hasn't for about 10 years. I worked on the spin off back in my CPA days.

Taco Bell is owned by Yum! Brands.

http://www.yum.com/

Pepsi had exclusive pouring rights at Yum chains for a while, but even that's waining a bit.

Pepsi doesn't own Taco Bell. Hasn't for about 10 years. I worked on the spin off back in my CPA days.

Pepsi had exclusive pouring rights at Yum chains for a while, but even that's waining a bit.

I didn't say Pepsi owned Taco Bell. And it's "waning." Stick to numbers, IRS boy.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I didn't say Pepsi owned Taco Bell. And it's "waning." Stick to numbers, IRS boy.

So you're only about 90% wrong instead of being 100% wrong. Congrats!

Oddball has a point. If the NCAA insists on generic floors, could they at least be in the colors of the host institution?

I know the NCAA is anal about its sponsorships, but I remember when the Boston Garden first hosted the NCAA Tournament in 1999, all the players talked about was playing on the parquet.

I'm sure you'll see the parquet next weekend when Boston hosts the Sweet 16. I'd be disappointed if the parquet went away for black and blue.

Get ready to be disappointed. They're using the generic court with Boston College Eagles logos.

Get ready to be disappointed. They're using the generic court with Boston College Eagles logos.

Yep. They used a non-parquet floor for the Women's Final Four a few years back too.

Visit Blogging the Bracket, SBNation's Bracketology and College Hoops Rambling site and Follow me on Twitter

Reasonable minds can differ, but I'm right. - Jay Bilas

Strange to say that, for there is nothing but Pepsi products at all Yum stores I've been to recently.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

All the sites I've seen so far (KC, Philly, & Greensboro) all have the same court design. Black sideline, big NCAA logo at midcourt. NCAA wordmark insed 3pt arc, patriotic ribbons and host logos (Big XII, SJU & ACC) just inside mid-court line. Except for Philadelphia, they all have a non-painted "paint" area. Philly also has the NBA "box" and 3pt line.

On another note... Does anyone else think that the Final Four logo completely sucks this year? The "tire" is horrible. For a while I thought it was a hockey puck. The logo has a cold feeling to me. Whether it be the dark colors or blue flames, I am not sure.

What, would you rather have had your generic Final Four logo with the city skyline over a basketball, like every other year? I think this year's logo is distinctive and fits the city and region pretty well. Next year, you can have your basketball-and-skyline party back, but for this year? I'll take the bad-ass logo.

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

And maybe even Greensboro:

ACC%20women%20practice%20030409.jpg

For the record, that ACC logo at center court in Greensboro is a sticker. We designed the new Coliseum floor and the paint has a new, circular stylized Coliseum logo at center court.

The standardized floor has made its way to the regionals in the women's tournament as well. In the Raleigh Region at RBC Center, they have an NCAA floor in the same black/blue color scheme. The only difference is that is has the more 'traditional' paint job of the lane being painted and the semi-circle not.

But then again, the NC State women don't play their home games at RBC (they're still at Reynolds), so the court they have at RBC doesn't have the women's 3-point line.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

raised court for arizona/louisville

And UofP Stadium is not in center court format (thankfully). Lots of empty seats in Glendale. Should have been held at Jobing.com Arena or US Airways Center.

Playing these basketball games (except for the Final 4) in domes, is stupid. There is ZERO atmosphere (the games have been terrible anyway) and so few people in the stands, that it looks bad.

Play basketball where basketball was meant to be played.....in basketball arenas.

And, burn these standardized floors too. They are also, terrible.

If you truly want a "standardized floor", then make the west black/red, make the east black/green, make the south black/blue and make the midwest black/orange. At least, give the viewer at home some difference, between the sites. It makes for a boring game presentation.

Archived