NCAA Tournament Floors

fufkin

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple comments, though this is my first read-through of this thread.

The NCAA is trying to make the games as neutral as possible. This is why all courts are identical, all banners taken down. It should make no difference to a team playing in Glendale, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Boston, etc. By removing all traces of non-NCAA "propaganda", it lessens the home-court factor that two neutral opponents have.

By sanitizing the experience, the NCAA is trying to make the tournament as even as possible for all the entrants, and I guess the change in localities is just to let more fans (corporate lackeys) from around the country experience it as well.

I understand where the NCAA is coming from, but do I agree with it? No. Let the players see the country's finer facilities and soak up the ambience, banners, logos and all.

As far as alcohol, I don't believe it is allowed at NCAA-run events. Not necessarily events involving teams, or even events on campus, but ones run specifically by the NCAA. You can buy alcohol at the Beanpot, and the Hockey East finals at the TD Banknorth Garden, but not during March Madness or the Frozen Four, etc. You can even get beer at UMass-Lowell home games at Tsongas Arena (at least for the past few seasons).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Basically, if your building wants to host an NCAA championship event, you forfeit your building over to them for about a week and they get to do what they want.

The banner rule has been in place for a few years. Unless the banner is associated with the host school, it has to come down or at least be rolled up. It used to be okay to simply turn the lights off behind the advertisements, but that isn't good enough anymore. They now need to be completely covered. That even includes the advertisements in the concourses and even the ads affixed to the outside of the building. When I went to the Final Four in St. Louis, the ads affixed to the outside of the building were completely covered other than the sign for the Edward Jones Dome.

Food is another interesting tidbit at an NCAA event. If your building serves Pepsi, it is replaced with Coke for the event. Pizza comes from Papa John's (another NCAA corporate sponsor). And, most importantly, no alcohol is sold.

Not true. Pepsi products were still sold at the Wachovia Center for this year's tourney games. Alcohol was most certainly not available.

Visit Blogging the Bracket, SBNation's Bracketology and College Hoops Rambling site and Follow me on Twitter

Reasonable minds can differ, but I'm right. - Jay Bilas

That even includes the advertisements in the concourses and even the ads affixed to the outside of the building. When I went to the Final Four in St. Louis, the ads affixed to the outside of the building were completely covered other than the sign for the Edward Jones Dome.

That wasn't true when I was at the Metrodome for the open practice(the concourse ads part, not the ones inside the seating bowl). Heck there were ads on the outside of the dome too.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Question about NCAA floors:

What is the point of the semi-circle at the top of the lane? I know in the NBA that the circle is used for jump balls, but why is even half of it still there on college courts? Is it considered a part of the lane for violations? Other wise, it doesn't make sense to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What is the point of the semi-circle at the top of the lane? I know in the NBA that the circle is used for jump balls, but why is even half of it still there on college courts? Is it considered a part of the lane for violations? Other wise, it doesn't make sense to me.

Good question, BBTV. I've always wondered that myself. And remember, this is not the first time that specially designed chairs at the players benches are being used. Back to the point; How much do these floors cost, ande what happens to them afterward ? Michigan State and Florida this decade have bought the Final Four floor to re-do it in their paint scheme, but what about the generic floors ?

I am pretty sure (and being a ref, I should be positive about this... :P ) that the person shooting the free throw must be entirely in that semicircle until the shot is completed, otherwise it is a violation. I worked a game where my partner called the violation because the player stepped backwards out of the circle.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I am pretty sure (and being a ref, I should be positive about this... :P ) that the person shooting the free throw must be entirely in that semicircle until the shot is completed, otherwise it is a violation. I worked a game where my partner called the violation because the player stepped backwards out of the circle.

That would have to be one long ass backwards step to get outside of that circle. I guess that's a plausible explaination, since it's the only thing preventing the player from shooting from a really weird angle (not that anyone would want to do that.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That would have to be one long ass backwards step to get outside of that circle. I guess that's a plausible explaination, since it's the only thing preventing the player from shooting from a really weird angle (not that anyone would want to do that.)

Also isn't it consider a lane violation if a player from the opposing team steps into the semicircle behind the shooter until after the ball is released (same as a violation on the sides of the lane)?

That would have to be one long ass backwards step to get outside of that circle. I guess that\'s a plausible explaination, since it\'s the only thing preventing the player from shooting from a really weird angle (not that anyone would want to do that.)

Also isn't it consider a lane violation if a player from the opposing team steps into the semicircle behind the shooter until after the ball is released (same as a violation on the sides of the lane)?

Wait - so if that is true, does that also mean that the semi-circle is considered part of the lane for purposes of 3-second violations?

EDIT:

Key. The area at each end of the court consisting of the foul circle, foul lane and free-throw line; named for the keyhole shape it had years ago. See lane.

According to that, the semi-circle is in fact a part of the lane, which I guess does make it part of the three-second rule thing.

HOWEVAH...

Lane. The painted area 19\' x 16\' (12\' in college) between the end line and the foul line near each basket, outside which players line up for free throws. The area an offensive player cannot spend more than 3-seconds at a time in. Also known as the key, because in the early years it was key-shaped. It was three times widened till its present shape. Also known as Free-Throw Lane, Key-hole; Paint; Restricted Area; 3-second Area; 3-second Lane.

According to that, the lane is a 19x16 rectangular area. The rules contradict each other.

Early pics of the Final Four court at Ford Field being put together and a decent companion article. Interesting NCAA canopy hanging over the court...I wonder if that will be raised up over a temporary scoreboard or if it's just there as they ready the arena.

Ford Field Final Four Photo Gallery

Final Four Floor Assembled

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Early pics of the Final Four court at Ford Field being put together and a decent companion article. Interesting NCAA canopy hanging over the court...I wonder if that will be raised up over a temporary scoreboard or if it's just there as they ready the arena.

It looks like giant video boards will be hanging over the court.

Good question, BBTV. I've always wondered that myself. And remember, this is not the first time that specially designed chairs at the players benches are being used. Back to the point; How much do these floors cost, ande what happens to them afterward ? Michigan State and Florida this decade have bought the Final Four floor to re-do it in their paint scheme, but what about the generic floors ?

Maryland's men's and women's teams bought the floors (I believe) and carved them up to sell as a fund raiser. The center court logos were (for a time) on display in the lobbys of the Comcast Center in College Park.

The floors (according to the Boston Globe) are about $90-100K, and are available for sale.

There's actually a good secondary market for used floors. My alma mater (Northeastern) had a floor in our Arena from 81-02 that we sold to someone in Mexico when we got our new floor a few years ago.

The reason for the semi circle at the top of the lane is that this is the area where the shooter can stand to make a free throw. During the free throw, any players not line up along each side of the lane are allowed anywhere on the court as long as it is not below the foul line or inside the semi circle. So its basically an area where only the free throw shooter is allowed to be in during the free throws.

Hope that helps.

BwZsPH2.jpg

The reason for the semi circle at the top of the lane is that this is the area where the shooter can stand to make a free throw. During the free throw, any players not line up along each side of the lane are allowed anywhere on the court as long as it is not below the foul line or inside the semi circle. So its basically an area where only the free throw shooter is allowed to be in during the free throws.

Hope that helps.

Awesome, thanks!

The Women's Final Four floor is great. The arch is awesome and I wish there was more decoration like that on the court proper and not limited to the baselines a la the Alamo.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Archived