Bohob's MLB Redesign Project

bohob

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not much for commenting, but I can't resist putting in my two cents for my favorite (sigh) team from my beautiful home state.

Goods:

I like the throwback-esque white panel cap. I like the modernized oriole head logo which is simpler than the current bird and also evocative of the Weaver-era cap. The dashed-line piping is reminiscent of UMD Terps striping on some of their uniforms (basketball IIRC) and is creative for a baseball concept. Nice job sticking with "Baltimore" on the road jerseys, way to represent "Charm City." And thanks for not making an all-orange uniform. I love throwbacks and the success of the Oriole Way, but those were too much.

Others:

I don't like the orange cap, the actual head of an actual oriole is black, so IMHO a black cap with an orange bill says "Oriole" to me. Also, orange caps would not be fun to watch on TV (although the way the O's play, they aren't much fun to watch to begin with). A real oriole has its bright plumage on the body, not the head, and I think the uniforms should reflect that same visual scheme. Second, and more importantly, the tertiary logo should reflect the actual colors of the Maryland flag. The flag is one of the most distinct symbols of the state (the oriole being another good one), and furthermore, as a state flag it should be represented correctly. If you want to make a patch or logo more in line with your color scheme, maybe use the swinging oriole logo recolored to fit. Otherwise, the arms of Maryland's founding family should be colored correctly.

Finally the vest look is different but not one I'm super fond of. Perhaps with the Sunday alt and the retro-style cap you could try the thick orange-white-black sleeve stripe of that era, maybe even on the pants too. It would give the alternate an overall throwback look while staying modern and maintaining your new logo.

I'm really enjoying your concepts, even the uniforms I don't like 100% are still very creative, original and well-designed. Great work all around!

Grunge-Logos.png

I'm not feelin the orange hat.

Care to explain why? If you are going to offer C&C, it would help if you provided an explanation further than "I don't like x."

Sorry, I didn't have much time, I probably should have waited until I had time to explain. So, here you go. It's a good idea, and it doesn't look too bad, but I think it would look better if it was black/orange rather than orange/black. I think overall there just isn't enough black in the home uniform. The cap is probably the best place to use black.

10/10

I think the "throwback alt" turned out better than I thought it would, it looks awesome. The black home cap is much better, I think and gives more unity to the home and road uniforms. And most of all, the black, gold, red and white of the Calvert and Crossland families is just right, emphasizing the Orioles' connection to the Free State. I also like the use of black text over gray, it keeps the coloring more unified overall and makes the text stand out more. If only they would play as well as this concept looks...............

Grunge-Logos.png

I think you need to move "Orioles" on the primary a bit clockwise so that it's directly opposite of "Baltimore." If the oriole wasn't there, it would look really unbalanced, and that's what I see. I'm fine with rotating the words so that the oriole doesn't block them, but have them opposite each other.

I dig the secondary, but not as a hat logo. The full bird is vastly superior to just the head. I liked the orange hat. I thought it worked really well with the orange jersey.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

This looks pretty good. Not exactly what I would do, but I like it. I'm still not 100% sold on the bird head by itself on a cap, but it's ok. The home and home alternate look good. I wouldn't change anything. The road looks good too. The only thing I would consider is using black numbers on the front, but it's not terrible if you don't. They away alternate is perfect. The alternate throwback is cool. I liked thes vest, but this looks good too. No complaints on the bp set. The logos are great. Overall, nice job!

The Orioles update looks really nice. The Orange hat looked real good on the orange alternates, but it was good to switch back to the black with orange bill hat for the homes (it just feels right that way). The Sunday Alternate looks real nice too. It's a good modern update to a classic look.

I have to say though, I don't really like the "checkerboard" striping. As some one else state, It's a unique idea but I just don't think it works (in this case anyway).

#25 TAMPA BAY RAYS

As many people on this board have voiced, there really isn't anything good about the current Rays scheme (except for the Ray from the original set). It's boring; it's another team unnecessarily using navy; and they have succumbed to the color-on-color alternate jersey fad. I set out to change all of that. The colors are now purple, yellow, and a Tennessee orange. I worked a color progression into the type, and developed a TB that hopefully everyone sees as not "slapped together" like the current one is. The primary is a sun with the wordmark, while I kept the ray from the current set as the tertiary. The homes feature a purple and yellow cap, with the TB. The roads are a lemon color, similar to my Padres concept. The Sunday Alt. features a yellow hat and jersey. Let me know what you think. C&C your hearts out.

rays_id.jpg

rays_home.jpg

rays_away.jpg

rays_bp.jpg

#25 TAMPA BAY RAYS

As many people on this board have voiced, there really isn't anything good about the current Rays scheme (except for the Ray from the original set). It's boring; it's another team unnecessarily using navy; and they have succumbed to the color-on-color alternate jersey fad. I set out to change all of that. The colors are now purple, yellow, and a Tennessee orange. I worked a color progression into the type, and developed a TB that hopefully everyone sees as not "slapped together" like the current one is. The primary is a sun with the wordmark, while I kept the ray from the current set as the tertiary. The homes feature a purple and yellow cap, with the TB. The roads are a lemon color, similar to my Padres concept. The Sunday Alt. features a yellow hat and jersey. Let me know what you think. C&C your hearts out.

rays_id.jpg

rays_home.jpg

rays_away.jpg

rays_bp.jpg

I really like the Sunday alt.! Pretty cool

I can tell you right now that the gradients aren't going to get good reviews. The overall set is pretty nice. I don't like the hat logo that much, as it seems very unbalanced. The numbers don't look very good on the uniforms, but they do match the rest of the set, so I can't really say they are horrible. I love the colors, though. One other thing I would do is have purple dominate the home jersey rather than yellow. It looks like it would be kind of hard to see right now.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

The Rays don't have much history with purple as such a dominant color. Or yellow/lemon/gold for that matter. The color scheme is bold and different, but "being different" isn't working for me here. I feel you'd be much better served by going with a scheme in the blue and green area that the franchise has been in for the great majority of it's existence.

At first glance the letters are too rigid for my taste. It just seems lifeless and generic. Although gradients are frowned upon, I like your "segmented gradient" execution. This would be improved by a better color scheme.

The yellow cap isn't working. The cross of the T blends with the crown.

Finally, the piping needs to be purple. With a purple cap and belt, the yellow piping is distracting. The yellow piping on the purple alternate is fine. But on everything else it needs to be purple.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Actually, I myself don't mind the gradient-effect. As a matter of fact, I like the expressive creativity of this set. It takes the characteristics of "sunrays", which are bright, warm, and expressive, and really throws it out there for all to see. This would be a great look for the Rays.

If they played in Arizona.

The gradient effect you have going on here, not to mention the entire color schematic, is entirely too indicative of Phoenix, not to mention the gradient effect being more indicative of the Native American art influece last seen with the most recent NBA All-Star look that was developed for Phoenix this past year. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw this set. This same look would probably still work if it were done in "Florida colors"--some mix of blue, orange, and/or green. (And yellow...wouldn't mind that, either.) On its own merits, it's actually a really nice design. It just doesn't work for a team in Florida, in my opinion.

One other thing...I've been noticing with a lot of your concepts that you've strayed from gray road uniforms, which actually isn't a bad move, considering gray is a rather drab color on its own and that it'd be nice to see a bit more color in the game of baseball. However, sometimes the color choices you use might actually be more expressive when shown on a drab gray background rather than getting somewhat lost, such as the orange and yellow on your road sets here. Just something to think about.

But hey--keep it up. And kudos for keeping that great level of creativity up through the breadth of this series...between this and your NFL series, I can't recall having seen quite this level of sustained creativity around here in a while.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

First off, thanks for the C&C. Bucco, you made some excellent points. Epi, the Rays don't have much history period. Their one good season was with some of the blandest uniforms in the majors. Anyways?

#25 TAMPA BAY RAYS UPDATE

I tried to make the color scheme more "Floridian". I have also updated the TB to something I feel is more balanced. The scheme features green and orange primarily. I initially tried not to go in this direction because I was trying to draw distinction from the A's, but I hope the orange takes care of that. C&C please.

rays_id2.jpg

rays_home2.jpg

rays_away2.jpg

rays_bp2.jpg

Archived