Bohob's MLB Redesign Project

bohob

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#8: New York Mets

First off, the black is gone. The Mets are royal blue and orange, that's it. I used the M from the wordmark as the tertiary logo, which appears on the BP hat. The alternate cap features an orange brim and is worn with the blue jerseys. The home uniforms are off-white to compliment the new old-style ballpark. I also brought back sleeve stripes to show love to the '86 Mets. The numbers are the ones the New Orleans Hornets used to use. I used the primary logo as a patch on the left sleeve. The home alternate is royal with off-white script/numbers outlined in orange. The roads are a very cool gunmetal grey. The away alternate jersey swaps the royal and grey. The Sunday alternate features pinstripes, but with a twist. I figure if the NBA can be successful with spaced-out pinstripes, why cant baseball? This also gives the Mets some separation from the Yankees, stylistically. The BP jersey features the primary logo as a crest and orange side panels. C&C is appreciated, so bust out the comments.

mets_id.jpg

mets_home.jpg

mets_away.jpg

mets_bp.jpg

#3: Houston Astros UPDATE

To increase legibility, I filled in the negative spaces in the scripts. This is also more consistent with the wordmark in the logo. I also removed the state of Texas from the navy hat. The numbers on the BP are now navy, instead of yellow. Enjoy!

astros_id2.jpg

astros_home2.jpg

astros_away2.jpg

astros_bp2.jpg

This whole series has been really neat (really professional job), and I haven't gotten a chance to comment on anything yet, so...a team-by-team is in order!

Brewers: I'm not a fan of the light blue, sorry. It adds unnecessary detail and confusion to an otherwise beautiful set. I'd also prefer either a navy or royal, but the primary color will do. I don't like the number font, either. The jersey design is decent, but the aforementioned problems sort of diminish the effect IMO. That Sunday alt is beautiful! Gold pinstripes are awesome. C

Cubs: Nice enough overall, but I don't like the new road script. The spaces are too big, and the font itself doesn't look so hot. Not many changes overall, so I'll give it a solid B.

Astros: I appreciate the attempt and your willingness to do "un-traditional" things, but this doesn't work for me. The butter looks strange, the orange doesn't work for the Astros, and there's not enough navy. Oh, and the number font has to go. I like the Sunday alt and the update is slightly better, but...C-

Cards: Interesting idea, but I'm not a fan of over-the-shoulder striping in baseball. The dark red doesn't work so well, and there's too much yellow on the alternate away. No offense, but you took a really classic identity and made it contrived. On the bright side, though, I like the Sunday alt (once again). As I said, interesting idea, but this is a downgrade. C-

Pirates: Now here's one I really like. The alternate caps are crazy, absurd, and ugly, but they are truly awesome. They work well with the sleeve striping, and are totally unique. I dig that cream color, as well, and that Sunday alt is strangely appealing. Really excellent work on this one. Looks like a throwback, but works in today's world. A

Reds: I don't like all the gray on the roadies, and the Reds happen to have my favorite unis in the Majors, so it's an automatic downgrade. That said, the homes are nice and clean, I love the return of Mr. Redlegs, and the white-cap Sunday alts are beauties. B

Phillies: I like the jersey design, but this is basically a slick recoloring job. The roadies are nice, and the color combo looks cool, but overall it's just not as good as the current ones. That said, this does look really cool, just not for the Phillies. B-

Mets: Glorious, excellent, transcendent, wonderful, brilliant. Any more complimentary terms I can think up? I usually don't like over-the-shoulder stuff (see Cardinals review), but this looks great. No more black is an automatic plus, and overall this is just a truly fantastic uniform set. One complaint: No gray numbers on the road alts. Make those white and you're set. Also, that Sunday alt harkens back to the Seaver days and looks flat-out gorgeous. Really, really good. A+

All in all, this is a really, really well conceived and original idea that will make for some strange unis by default. I appreciate your attempt to reinject color into the MLB (even though navy and red are my favorite colors...), and your presentation is excellent. Just do more like the Pirates and Mets and you'll get another long post (just kidding)! For the project, I'll give you...A-

scotland_fifasig.png

This whole series has been really neat (really professional job), and I haven't gotten a chance to comment on anything yet, so...a team-by-team is in order!

Phillies: I like the jersey design, but this is basically a slick recoloring job. The roadies are nice, and the color combo looks cool, but overall it's just not as good as the current ones. That said, this does look really cool, just not for the Phillies. B-

Mets: Glorious, excellent, transcendent, wonderful, brilliant. Any more complimentary terms I can think up? I usually don't like over-the-shoulder stuff (see Cardinals review), but this looks great. No more black is an automatic plus, and overall this is just a truly fantastic uniform set. One complaint: No gray numbers on the road alts. Make those white and you're set. Also, that Sunday alt harkens back to the Seaver days and looks flat-out gorgeous. Really, really good. A+

Re-color? It's the same amount of work that I did for the Mets. I used the existing logo set on both. And both feature new uniform designs. Plus the Sunday Alt. is like nothing they've worn recently. I've seen re-colors, and this isn't one. Lastly, I don't think white really belongs on most MLB road uniforms, seeing as how the road alt jersey is paired with grey (or pastel in some cases) pants.

The Mets look good in white IMO, I wouldn't use the off white. The rest of the Mets set is beautiful though, I can't think of anything to change really except the numbers. A standard block would work much better.

While I respect that you would prefer the standard white and the standard MLB Block, the theory of this series is that baseball is far too standardized, so I wanted to give the Mets their own identity in those respects.

• 1 month later...

#9 Atlanta Braves

This concept is a combination of eras. The tomahawk is too important to the Braves identity to get rid off it. However, the Hank Aaron sleeve style is a throwback to the best moment in Atlanta Braves (and IMO all of Braves) history. The colors are also indicative of clash of the eras. The tertiary logo is my response to what I feel is the current overuse of the A. The Sunday alt focuses on the lighter blue in the scheme. C&C is greatly appreciated.

braves_id.jpg

braves_home.jpg

braves_away.jpg

braves_bp.jpg

I never would have thought going with three colors for the Braves.

I would not prefer this look over their current white, gray, and red uniforms ( I like to pretend that terrible primary road look they have doesnt exist)...but this as a concept looks amazing!!

Also, the color scheme kind of breaks into the Thrashers and the Hawks look. A little bit of modern day ATL fusion here

#10 Washington Nationals

OK? starting with the colors, I ditched the gold for silver. It looks kind of like the grey is certain spots, but I'll get to the specifics on that later. The idea behind this was to embrace the Curly W and the D.C. flag. The primary features the Capitol and the three star and two red stripes in the flag. The tertiary is a hybrid of the primary and secondary, used as a sleeve patch. As for the uniforms the home and road are primarily red, but feature navy scripts and numbers. This is a surprisingly unique look to MLB, as no team (even with the plethora of navy and red teams) uses it. They also feature the two stripes and three stars on the sleeves. The home alt is red with white script, numbers, and piping. The road alt is navy, as one of the looks had to feature it. It feature silver numbers and script. The Sunday Alt. features the flag striping across the chest, as well as a white hat. The BP has a navy hat with the tertiary on the chest. C&C is always appreciated.

nats_id.jpg

nats_home.jpg

nats_away.jpg

nats_bp.jpg

I like the Nationals. I'm actually working on a concept for them now that features the capitol building, but your use of it is way more effective. The jerseys are good. It seems like you were trying to get a good balance between red and blue, sometimes that is hard for the Nationals, but this works well. I don't really like the dark blue cap logo against the red, but that's a minor gripe. Also, I don't really like the sunday alt. It seems too simple and retro for a team like the Nationals.

I feel bad because you haven't gotten many comments bohob, next time you post a new one I'll give C+C on like the past 5 or 6, but right now I have to go eat breakfast :).

The Nationals has to be one of my faves so far. I like the use of the DC flag and the capitol building is well-rendered. Jerseys are nice, but I agree with Elliott about the Sunday alternate. Maybe try moving the stripes down and put a wordmark above. Although, that might make it too cluttered. All in all, great job with this one, I want to see more from you.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I really like the creativity you've shown here. Really neat stuff overall. The new primary and sleeve patch logos are beautiful, and I like the way the whole concept is based around the DC flag. Unlike the previous two posters, I love the Sunday alt. It fits with the "unique" look of the rest of your Sunday alts (see: Pirates), and actually looks really cool given the simplicity. As for the regular uniforms, I love the home sets. Nice balance between red and navy, too. As for the roads, it seems like overall you're going for a red-based identity, so the navy wordmark isn't doing it for me. I'd make that script red, to match the hats. The road alt is nice enough, although I'm not a fan of the gray numbers and wordmark. I know you like matching the lettering to the pants color, but gray isn't found anywhere else and doesn't "pop" enough. Overall, I'm really liking this one. I'd keep the focus on red, personally, and with a few tweaks this could be perfect.

scotland_fifasig.png

I really like the creativity you've shown here. Really neat stuff overall. The new primary and sleeve patch logos are beautiful, and I like the way the whole concept is based around the DC flag. Unlike the previous two posters, I love the Sunday alt. It fits with the "unique" look of the rest of your Sunday alts (see: Pirates), and actually looks really cool given the simplicity. As for the regular uniforms, I love the home sets. Nice balance between red and navy, too. As for the roads, it seems like overall you're going for a red-based identity, so the navy wordmark isn't doing it for me. I'd make that script red, to match the hats. The road alt is nice enough, although I'm not a fan of the gray numbers and wordmark. I know you like matching the lettering to the pants color, but gray isn't found anywhere else and doesn't "pop" enough. Overall, I'm really liking this one. I'd keep the focus on red, personally, and with a few tweaks this could be perfect.

That's meant to be silver for the road alt. wordmark and numbers. I know it looks a lot like the grey, but I mentioned that in the explanation. The silver is in the primary and tertiary logos as well. The idea was that it would look grey in the shade and when the sun hits it, the metallic aspect would stand out more.

Love what you did with the Nationals. Everything looks great. My favorite part it the new primary logo you made. The home unis look great. I wouldn't change a thing. I don't like the road unis though. The road cap looks wierd. IMO it doesn't look good with the navy jersey. That Sunday alt looks good. Not my favorite design, but it looks cool. You did a great job with this set.

Archived