Bohob's MLB Redesign Project

bohob

i think it looks great. here, the orange and red work together- which is rare. it is hard to make those colors work together well...and sometimes you have to force it and hope it catches on. looks well here. i like the logos and the wings go well. im not so sure i like the font as a whole package, but it is bearable. other than that, good work- i think you hit this on the first time better than you others. good job.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Mets "M" logo doesn't really work. NY teams, especially baseball ones not in Brooklyn ought to bear the NY and that's that. I'd love to see a retake on the interlocking NY, because the Mets haven't really nailed it and always come up 2nd to the Yankees iconic look and they have a lot of historical examples they could touch on (maybe a Queens alternate jersey? Or one for different boroughs...)

The Colorado Rockies one is a downgrade, I think. I love what you were trying to do, but I feel like ditching the purple and black and going with the power blue is a bad move. Plus the mountains look too much like the Nuggets rebrand and the ownership groups aren't the same, so it's seems unlikely they'd ever go that route. I think of all of the expansion teams in baseball in recent years, the Rockies have pulled off the most "historically pure" look, in that, they've got a very "Yankees west" look about their jerseys that I dig. I'd love to see an alternate that perhaps incorporates another color, but I don't think the blue works unless it were a darker accent color.

Still, great work overall and a fun series.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

• 2 weeks later...

#18 OAKLAND ATHLETICS

First off, I set up to give the A's a fresher look, while maintaining some the classic ideas that have works well in the past. I ditched the circle logo, and brought back a modified version of elephant logo they used in the 40s. The cap logo now features a bevel, which introduces a second green. I believe the second green adds a lot in terms of visual interest. The tertiary is reserved for the BP cap and jersey, and is a modified version of the BP logo from the 90s. All the jerseys feature A's as the crest, in part because they may move to Fremont. I also decided vests would be a good idea for this set. The home alt and road alt use the same vest, but with different undershirts. Anyways, C&C is also appreciated, so speak up!

athletics_id.jpg

athletics_home.jpg

athletics_away.jpg

athletics_bp.jpg

New elephant is good and I like the two greens, and I'm a huge fan of vests so that's a plus. I think one uniform with regular sleeves would do some good though. The ball looks too big in the primary logo and it doesn't really look like the elephant is holding onto it, the trunk isn't all the way around it.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

This is probably the best one you've done so far. The only thing I don't like is the beveling on the "A's". I absolutely love those jerseys, though, they would be one of the best looking teams in the league if they switched to these. I love their current sets to death, but these are better IMO.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

I like this but there are two big things I don't like:

- the beveled "A", and

- the name of the team is Athletics, which elephants aren't. And I don't think that they're primary logo should be an elephant. I get that it's a cute little nickname from an old manager or whatever, but it belongs on a sleeve patch at the most.

RedSox2.pngCeltics.pngVikings.pngBruins.png

BOSTON.png

avatar by crkraider22, signature by crkraider22 and chestnutz

- the beveled "A", and

- the name of the team is Athletics, which elephants aren't. And I don't think that they're primary logo should be an elephant. I get that it's a cute little nickname from an old manager or whatever, but it belongs on a sleeve patch at the most.

If you don't say why you don't like something, I can't use it. Right now it's just the opinion of some guy on a forum. When you attach a reason, it will become valid C&C. As far as the elephant part, sure maybe elephants aren't the most athletic animal, but there's 80 years of tradition tied to it, so it's become more than just a cute little nickname IMO.

- the beveled "A", and

If you don't say why you don't like something, I can't use it. Right now it's just the opinion of some guy on a forum. When you attach a reason, it will become valid C&C. As far as the elephant part, sure maybe elephants aren't the most athletic animal, but there's 80 years of tradition tied to it, so it's become more than just a cute little nickname IMO.

I didn't give a reason why the beveling doesn't work either, so I will give it now. I know you are trying to make this league unique. I get that. But it seems that sometimes you are trying too hard. You aren't necessarily putting the best concepts out there because your mindset is to change. I'm not really talking about the jerseys, because you are envisioning this league as everyone having these unique jerseys, so it wouldn't be out of line if it actually happened. But logo-wise, you should put the best of the best out there. That means you don't necessarily have to change it just because it is a concept. The A's logo specifically seems to be change for the sake of change. It is currently a clean, traditional logo that still has a certain ability to not age. It is an old logo that hasn't changed much over the years, but it still has a modern feel to it because it is designed so well. The beveling doesn't give it a more modern feeling necessarily. I really feel that the beveling takes away from this logo a lot. Also, you are looking to make this league unique, and beveling is becoming increasingly less unique. It is so overused these days IMO. So much of the logos and fonts in professional sports have been beveled, and it is starting to lose its effect on me. It can make certain logos and scrips look nice, but not when it is forced like this one.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

- the beveled "A", and

I didn't give a reason why the beveling doesn't work either, so I will give it now. I know you are trying to make this league unique. I get that. But it seems that sometimes you are trying too hard. You aren't necessarily putting the best concepts out there because your mindset is to change. I'm not really talking about the jerseys, because you are envisioning this league as everyone having these unique jerseys, so it wouldn't be out of line if it actually happened. But logo-wise, you should put the best of the best out there. That means you don't necessarily have to change it just because it is a concept. The A's logo specifically seems to be change for the sake of change. It is currently a clean, traditional logo that still has a certain ability to not age. It is an old logo that hasn't changed much over the years, but it still has a modern feel to it because it is designed so well. The beveling doesn't give it a more modern feeling necessarily. I really feel that the beveling takes away from this logo a lot. Also, you are looking to make this league unique, and beveling is becoming increasingly less unique. It is so overused these days IMO. So much of the logos and fonts in professional sports have been beveled, and it is starting to lose its effect on me. It can make certain logos and scrips look nice, but not when it is forced like this one.

IMO the A's logo needed an update, as it looks a lot like the Mariners. I felt this was a way to mix in kelly green to give the color scheme an also needed freshening. It's not on the level of the Yankees NY, the Dodgers LA, or the SF logo for unchangeability. In terms of making this league unique, here is a breakdown of how many teams in this series use a bevel or two-tone vs. how many teams do not:

Text effect (4): Brewers, Cardinals, Marlins, and now A's

No effect (14): Cubs, Astros, Pirates, Reds, Phillies, Mets, Braves, Nationals, D'backs, Padres, Dodgers, Rockies, Giants, Angels

I realize that currently the Rangers, Mariners, and Angels use a bevel effect in some capacity, but it doesn't mean they will in this series. Plus out of the four teams with bevel in this series, only the A's use the split bevel. The Brewers and Cardinals use a highlighted edge, and the Marlins use a two-tone. I understand there are varying opinions on what every team should do with its identity package, but IMO defaulting to a "clean, traditional" look isn't an ideal option every time a team has an ounce of history.

#19 TEXAS RANGERS

Well, back with another re-brand. There wasn't really anything I felt I should keep from the current identity package except for the Texas flag logo, so I started over. I went with a chunkier T for the hat logo, sort of a combination of the last two Ts. The new primary is a sheriff's badge, with the RANGERS wordmark. The home and road uniforms feature the new wordmarks with the flag patch on the left sleeve. The trim has a barb on it to correspond with the font I chose. The Sunday Alt is red with a T on the crest. The BP hag features the flag logo and the RANGERS wordmark. C&C is greatly appreciated.

rangers_id.jpg

rangers_home.jpg

rangers_away.jpg

rangers_bp.jpg

I made a logo once based off a badge once, but yours looks much better. I really like the new font, it looks great and the colors work perfectly together. Nice job as always.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Anger sticks out to me in the wordmark. These aren't my favorite, but it's a good start.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

I really, really like the new Oakland elephant, and the new primary logo for the Rangers is one of my favorites. It fits really well. I can't wait to see more; hopefully the AL Central will be soon.

The elephant is actually a logo from the Philadelphia days, just cleaned up a little. Next up are the Mariners, and then either the AL Central or the AL East.

I love what you did with the Rangers, but I think the wordmark needs to have color for both the road and Home jerseys. I don't think the outline is really enough to make it stand out. I love everything else about the Rangers though.

Archived