Florida Panthers retro jersey / Sports logo designer spotlight

johnnygriswold

First - I got this from the miamiherald.com on the Panthers' new retro jersey:

The Panthers had a prototype of their new retro-themed jersey at practice Wednesday. There could be changes in design and color by the time it's officially unveiled.

The prototype bore a similarity to the Minnesota Wild's retro-themed jersey. Instead of the leaping cat logo on the chest, only a snarling, less detailed cat head sits in the middle of a circle with ''Florida'' in the larger concentric circle over it and ''Panthers'' under it.

Second - I posted a little feature on my site about sports logo designers. I know this is a short list, but these are the only designers I had bookmarked. If I'm missing some obvious ones, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

CLICK HERE for a link to my site.

Thanks as always!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that will put Chicago, Florida, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis in the "shove your logo in a circle" camp.

Your move, wordmark camp.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I hate when a good design gets knocked off and overused. Boo.

Um like 11 teams in the mlb had the circle logo with the team name and logo inside.

And that doesn't make it any more permissible. (Your worst offender, by the way, is the Texas Rangers.)

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As a Panthers fan (albeit a bad, uninformed one), the thread title had me hoping for a return to the team's own, real retro jersey -- the original red. Although the original whites were my personal favorites, I've always preferred the red over the blue and would welcome a return to the traditional look as an alt. Certainly more than a manufactured "retro" that is simply copying others.

I'm so pumped about this. I remember watching them play the Wild in '68 wearing these.

/sarcasm

Just get a red jersey out there again of your current set and be done.

KISSwall09.jpg

The Miami Herald article also mentioned the mock up jersey at practice.

"According to my source (David J. Neal), the new jersey is fairly similar to the Wild's third jersey as seen at left.

The main color is dark blue with light blue (no idea where that's coming from) on the sleeves, shoulders and bottom. Kind of looks like the Penguins.

The leaping cat logo is replaced on the front by a logo similar to the Wild. Florida on top; Panthers on bottom, the Panther head in the middle."

From http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers...d-your-way.html

I think light and dark blue colors would look terrible for a panthers jersey, let alone the fact of being a rip-off of Pittsburg's third jersey.

Anyway, here is my mock up/concept of a Florida Panthers third jersey w/ a "classic" circle logo and their current color scheme.

floridapanthersconcept.gif

Something tells me I'm going to like your concept a whole lot more than what the Panthers actually take to the ice in. Really, guys, the classic red jersey. Would it be that hard to do?

Wait, so this is going to be the teams new alternate for next season? I sure as hell hope the jersey isnt blue. Common, it has to be red, I liked there old red jerseys and I hate the fact that some teams have there alternate the same colour as there home jersey.

beLEAF

There ought to be a limit on "logos in a circle" throwbacks in the NHL. They're just turning this into a generic fad and it's going to grate on people.

I don't mind if teams reissue a uniform they used to wear, but creating circle logos for no reason other to catch on to a fad really bugs me.

It's kinda funny though how every team wants to do retro uniforms now after Reebok just introduced the radically futuristic Edge jersey. Obviously the simplified throwback ideal is still very popular. They just need to do away with the gimmicks.

DEATH TO REEBOK

If they go double blue with a team that used to be identified by red it will come just short of the Los Angeles Avengers mess. At least they won't wear red helmets with them.

And I agree that the concepts are nice. I love the full-body panther but have heard plenty of interest in using just the head. I guess it beats adding/removing sticks.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny a team with no real past trying to invent one. And with the current economic conditions, probably has no real future either....

What is really funny, apart from the expansion Pittsburgh Penguins, no team in NHL history ever used the logo in the circle concept. Many used simply their name on the jersey, or even a letter representation, so I don't see how this is even remotely retro when it wasn't even tro to begin with...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Funny a team with no real past trying to invent one.

While I get your point, the Panthers do have a past. It's not a long past, but...

It was a red jersey and they went to the Stanley Cup Finals in it. I'd be all for them bringing that back as a "retro" alt. This "invention," as you put it, really has no place in my mind. It's not "retro" for the Panthers, it's new.

Archived