Florida Panthers retro jersey / Sports logo designer spotlight

johnnygriswold

Funny a team with no real past trying to invent one.

While I get your point, the Panthers do have a past. It's not a long past, but...

It was a red jersey and they went to the Stanley Cup Finals in it. I'd be all for them bringing that back as a "retro" alt. This "invention," as you put it, really has no place in my mind. It's not "retro" for the Panthers, it's new.

I had to correct my typo in the above quote, I hate poor grammer, spelling and typos especially when they are my own...

I probably should have also added to my point in saying that the city has no real heritage either when it comes to hockey for that matter. Ottawa, Minnesota, Colorado (and even San Jose if you consider the Oakland/California Seals) had teams before that they can draw from as well as deep histories with minor/amateur hockey that go back many decades (or in Ottawa's case over a century.) Miami has what? The Miami Screaming Eagles, a team that never got past the concept stage in the WHA?

But even so, if they insist on going this route, there are so many retro styles they could go for, such as a stylized 'F' or interlocking 'FP' or scripted 'Panthers' that can at least suggest they are their own team instead of imitating everyone else...

tigercatssignature-1.png

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There ought to be a limit on "logos in a circle" throwbacks in the NHL. They're just turning this into a generic fad and it's going to grate on people.

Especially if your team's barely a decade old and you play in Miami!

I had to correct my typo in the above quote. I hate poor grammer, spelling, and typos - especially when they are my own...

Start to hatin', Doc.

Found three more.

I think the hyphen I added should technically be a comma - but in casual communication, the hyphen is generally used.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I had to correct my typo in the above quote. I hate poor grammer, spelling, and typos - especially when they are my own...

Start to hatin', Doc.

Found three more.

I think the hyphen I added should technically be a comma - but in casual communication, the hyphen is generally used.

No comma necessary between "spelling" and "and"; if there is an "and", the comma is redundant.

So only two more.

While I get your point, the Panthers do have a past. It's not a long past, but...

It was a red jersey and they went to the Stanley Cup Finals in it. I'd be all for them bringing that back as a "retro" alt. This "invention," as you put it, really has no place in my mind. It's not "retro" for the Panthers, it's new.

The '96 Cup Finals between the Aves and Panthers were the first Stanley Cup Finals I remember ever really watching. I would love to see the original red sweaters as alternates.

Vintage-style sweaters work, but only for a few teams. Like teams with a history of over 20 years, or special cases like the Wild where they've embraced Minnesota's old school hockey tradition.

The Panthers are not a team that need a vintage-style sweater.

Start to hatin', Doc.

Found three more.

No comma necessary between "spelling" and "and"; if there is an "and", the comma is redundant.

So only two more.

I strongly disagree with that. I don't know the technical terms, but you can say something like..

"I like chicken noodle, beef and barley, and chicken and rice" and it makes sense.

Without the comma, it reads

"I like chicken noodle, beef and barley and chicken and rice" - it makes it difficult to determine that the beef is associated with the barley, and the chicken is associated with the rice. It almost makes it sound like they are independent entities.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Start to hatin', Doc.

Found three more.

So only two more.

I strongly disagree with that. I don't know the technical terms, but you can say something like..

"I like chicken noodle, beef and barley, and chicken and rice" and it makes sense.

Without the comma, it reads

"I like chicken noodle, beef and barley and chicken and rice" - it makes it difficult to determine that the beef is associated with the barley, and the chicken is associated with the rice. It almost makes it sound like they are independent entities.

THANK YOU BBTV.

It's been a few years now that "they" have made that comma unnecessary, but it ticks me off. Mostly for the reason you said.

And for that reason, I will ALWAYS put that comma there.

The '96 Cup Finals between the Aves and Panthers were the first Stanley Cup Finals I remember ever really watching. I would love to see the original red sweaters as alternates.

Vintage-style sweaters work, but only for a few teams. Like teams with a history of over 20 years, or special cases like the Wild where they've embraced Minnesota's old school hockey tradition.

It was the first Stanley Cup Finals I paid attention to as well, for a variety of reasons. I rooted for the Panthers and later saw my first NHL game in Sunrise.

I agree on the vintage-style sweaters and also have no problem with Minnesota (although I liked the green better for them). Florida could always bring back the plastic rats... there's a Panthers tradition. :)

The Miami Herald article also mentioned the mock up jersey at practice.

"According to my source (David J. Neal), the new jersey is fairly similar to the Wild's third jersey as seen at left.

The main color is dark blue with light blue (no idea where that's coming from) on the sleeves, shoulders and bottom. Kind of looks like the Penguins.

The leaping cat logo is replaced on the front by a logo similar to the Wild. Florida on top; Panthers on bottom, the Panther head in the middle."

From http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers...d-your-way.html

I think light and dark blue colors would look terrible for a panthers jersey, let alone the fact of being a rip-off of Pittsburg's third jersey.

Anyway, here is my mock up/concept of a Florida Panthers third jersey w/ a "classic" circle logo and their current color scheme.

floridapanthersconcept.gif

Its like a return of the Colorado Rockies. Or maybe the Kansas City Scouts!

It was the first Stanley Cup Finals I paid attention to as well, for a variety of reasons. I rooted for the Panthers and later saw my first NHL game in Sunrise.

I agree on the vintage-style sweaters and also have no problem with Minnesota (although I liked the green better for them). Florida could always bring back the plastic rats... there's a Panthers tradition. :)

Agreed on all fronts. The Wild's vintage sweater makes a great alternate, but they need to bring back the green as the primary home sweater.

And plastic rats were like the coolest thing to me back then :D

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Linus as long as it is red and the Panther head is large enough. Reminds me of all the hockey teams(pro and minor league)that use to use upside down triangles in their logos. Pens, Sharks, Lowell Lock Monsters and on and on. It's getting old. If not a red jersey than maybe the yellow/gold color as a choice?

I agree with Linus as long as it is red and the Panther head is large enough. Reminds me of all the hockey teams(pro and minor league)that use to use upside down triangles in their logos. Pens, Sharks, Lowell Lock Monsters and on and on. It's getting old. If not a red jersey than maybe the yellow/gold color as a choice?

oof. Those upside down triangles are just the worst.

vanbiesbrouckjohnFLA005.jpg

Bring back that uniform, and have Craig Anderson wearing that mask, pronto.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'd forgotten about that mask. Everything about that jersey was fantastic. Normally, I'd complain that the logo color appeared nowhere else on the jersey (and I would be interested to see what it'd look like with that gold color in place of the yellow), but the whole package just looked so damned good.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

vanbiesbrouckjohnFLA005.jpg

"Retro" Pathers. Gotta love the Beezer!

I loved that helmet. It is IMO, the most uniform-completing helmet in the history of hockey.

Eddie Belfour's Blackhawk mask a close second.

i was partial to Brian Haywards...

haywardmask01.jpg

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Archived