RUMOR: Golden State Warriors New Identity?

theonlymember

I actually really like the Warriors colors and the uniforms. eRay said it right, these colors are great together and they have that pop in them. The logo is bad though, I would be happy if they just changed the logo but kept the uniforms, but that won't happen.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO - I hate the Warriors' overall identity, but love their colors. Honestly, I think the use of "Golden Gate Orange" was inpired. It's supposed to match the Golden Gate Bridge.

See, I never even knew that. Now I like that orange, because it means something. Knowing that, if they never go back to a traditional geographic designation like Oakland or SF, I would at least support them changing to the Golden Gate Warriors. If nothing else, it ties them to a specific region of California and makes them sound less like a college.

I hope they go back to the San Francisco Warriors and go back to the "City" logo.

Please, no San Francisco Warriors of Oakland jokes!

I think the Oakland Warriors would be more appropriate.

You are correct since they play in the Oakland Coliseum, however I hope that they take the opportunity to brand them with a world class city.

Oakland may be Major League but San Francisco sounds so much classier, I also think it allows more options for creating a logo (using the Golden Gate Bridge or the Transamerica Pyramid).

The San Francisco identity would encompass the entire San Francisco Bay Area (San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose).

Hopefully the NBA takes the opportunity to have an old franchise go from sounding like a college team to being put in the higher echelon of Major League cities.

Well that's my 2 cents for today - A San Franciscan who lives in Miami

You could check out anytime you like, but you could never leave.

I just don't want them to lose the orange; it's a natural balance to the blue and the yellow really does make it pop. I know that the blue-yellow retro look is good and all...it's just it would come across as a "johnny-come-lately" jersey in a long run of dark/light blue/yellow jerseys.

Now the Bobcats I have no idea which way they could go. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say black will be involved.

GR30a5H.png

"San Francisco Warriors" has the best cadence of any possible name, and it is true that it would accurately respect the entire San Francisco Bay Area, but the city of Oakland and extreme SF/Oakland sports partisans would never go for it.

If they went to the electric blue and yellow they used till the switch, they would still have a distinct look in the NBA, even with the Grizzlies and Nuggets and so on. Here's an idea: what if they used the silhouette of the Golden Gate Bridge on the side panels? Yellow side panels with blue rectangles, something like that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Concerning the Charlotte Bobcats possible change; I know there was a thread somewhere on here that linked to a story saying they would adopt "more collegiate looking" uniforms. At least that's what I remember. To me that could mean a million things. It could mean they are adding "Carolina Blue", which would fit since MJ is around a lot. Or, it could mean they are going with the SoD look, not the template but the general look(plain tight-fitting tops with no frills and flowing shorts that have a simple but interesting design on the sides). I know their shorts have to end an inch or two above the knee but maybe they will make them appear longer or larger. I don't know, I don't work for Adidas. This could also mean that...well that is all I can come up with. I'm sure you guys have many more ideas. I'd like to hope that Orange is a lock to stay, but who really knows. Maybe they will go Seahawks' Blue, Carolina Blue, and Silver.

Their best look ever :D

pG01-1128862reg.jpg

arizinphl.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sept. '08 SF Chronicle said Warriors are considering the new Bay Bridge span as a logo icon in the fashion of the classic 60's "The City" unis:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../MNVT132PRU.DTL

Discuss among yourselves; reprising the bridge icon is a good idea, color choice variation could be interesting B) .

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

One problem is that "Warriors" used to refer to Indians (look up their old logos) which is not acceptable these days (let's not start this debate.) For a while, they emphasized their location more than their nickname. Then they decided to play off the nickname again, changing it to refer to some mythological superhero type thing - which IMO just didn't work. The Warriors moniker has to either refer to Indians, or nothing. I personally vote for nothing, and would endorse them playing up the features of their home base. I usually hate teams going backwards, but I think in this rare case it is the correct move.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One problem is that "Warriors" used to refer to Indians (look up their old logos) which is not acceptable these days (let's not start this debate.) For a while, they emphasized their location more than their nickname. Then they decided to play off the nickname again, changing it to refer to some mythological superhero type thing - which IMO just didn't work. The Warriors moniker has to either refer to Indians, or nothing. I personally vote for nothing, and would endorse them playing up the features of their home base. I usually hate teams going backwards, but I think in this rare case it is the correct move.
Yeah, I like the name "Warriors" but without a clear/specific representation depicted by the "Thunderbolt guy", it doesn't really work for me. At the same time, I realize it's kinda hypocritical since I give teams like the Knicks and Lakers a free pass with their nondescript logos/mascots. I think the main reason for that is b/c with the Warriors name, it invokes a clear mental image (in this case Native American warriors) while the Knicks and Lakers are kinda more nebulous.

Warriors don't have to be Indians. Take the Ultimate Warrior. I think emphasizing the Bay Area is a better move than trying to do the whole thunder-man thing, since people don't immediately know where the Warriors play.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Who here thinks the Warriors will drop the orange and gold and "add" red at the request of the NBA and/or adidas? ^_^

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Archived