Boston College Eagles Basketball

gingerbreadmann

I hate System of Dress. Always have. Probably always will. I hate the ridiculous shorts that stretch down to the shoes and the Speedo racers jersey tops that stick so close to your body and look nothing like a real basketball jersey. I also hate what it brought in terms of design. What the :censored: are those random shoulder quadrilaterals? Why are they existent on this planet? Big swing and a miss on all fronts as far as I am concerned.

However, apparently I am not concerned with national college basketball matters, because SOD is tearing up D-I faster than you can say Blake Griffin. Everywhere you look another traditional school has ditched tradition for Speedos and quadrilaterals. With wacky patterns, boring letters and numbers, and just plain ugliness, these teams take the court more and more often and continue to stand out less and less. This is saddening to me, but at some point it must be accepted. Nike can do whatever it wants. SOD will be commonplace within 5 years until we see the next evolution of basketball jerseys. Who knows, Australian women's leotards V.2?

The System of Dress from Nike is comprised of a Nike Fitted Jersey, a lightweight, breathable, form-fitting top, and long, lightweight, loose-fitted shorts. The combination creates a dramatic new silhouette for the game of basketball.

So that's what it is. A silhouette. Got it. Unfortunately, as stated above, there comes a time where I need to accept the future of this sport and the inevitable success of silhouettes such as System of Dress in their conquest of NCAA Division I Men's Basketball. And so the concept you are about to see is, at its root, born in hatred. Born out of hatred, grown with love. That is because while I lament the suppression of even the closest ties between manufacturer and school (Reebok and Boston College), I also see a future development (buyout) as an opportunity to rid the university of its clutter and lead the program into the future. I aimed to eliminate any and all black from the uniforms because with this year's new away jerseys, I can see clearly that the black needs to pack. I eliminated the current jersey wordmark with a mildly similar but more generic one (which I even slanted)to keep with the feel of SOD and add some variety into things. I feel the new font works well with the current number font, which I kept because it is strong enough to hold up on its own. With this solid base, I added a touch of personality and customization into the System ©. One thing you will never find on the jersey of Boston College is a lonely polygon in the shoulder area. Nope, I would never go that route. Instead, I emblazoned the very wing of the soaring Eagle that the University represents on the side of the jersey. This may be a risk, but it is proportioned well and I feel adds that necessary uniqueness and liveliness while still working well with the rest of the uniform. I hope you see it the same way.

In conclusion, while System of Dress would not be my choice for a new movement in college basketball, by assuming this to be the case anyway and trying something new, I feel like I have something that I wouldn't mind seeing the Eagles wear right now. That is the point of this re-design, and I can only hope that this is the direction GDF or whoever decides to go in the next time we receive a facelift.

And without further tired zombie writing crap :P ado:

basketball.png

What do you all think?

I like it, but the wings make it look similar to FSU's jerseys. The colors and design is too close for two teams in the same league. I also think the numbers and script need outlines. It looks sort of bland right now.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I like it, but the wings make it look similar to FSU's jerseys. The colors and design is too close for two teams in the same league. I also think the numbers and script need outlines. It looks sort of bland right now.

I agree with this 100%. It looks like a great design, but for playing in the same conference and having the same colors, this is just too similar to FSU. I would love to see this on a jersey, but for anyone besides BC.

Also, I am on the same boat as you, I hate SoD with a passion.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Dang. This is better than the current which is a prototype of the current Utah Jazz uniform.

Is it a prototype or just the same template?

I like it, but like others have said, it reminds me of FSU. The garish side pattern and the font especially.

As for the font, I think you could still go with BC's real font and have it looks SOD-ish. BC's font is too good to swap out for something more generic.

I like it. However, it reminds me too much of FSU. Also, the side panels are a little too "out there" for BC I think.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I know that they wear Reebok, I clearly say that in the intro. Also, I don't know the history of the Jazz/BC design, that's a good question.

Hey, maybe BC should wear this and FSU should switch(hmm... maybe I should redesign them too)! :P No, thanks for pointing that obvious one out. I clearly don't watch enough FSU basketball because I actually had no idea they had those feather side panels. When I think of FSU Basketball, I think of that wordmark and not the side, guess it never really impressed on me. That's unfortunate... It's quite ironic how similar the designs are. Anyway, that raises three questions. First, I'm guessing the answer is no based on the responses above, but do you think they could coexist at all? Might make for an interesting rivalry Second, disregarding FSU and any other teams, how is the design by itself? BJ - you said this would look good on anyone besides BC, is that because they are in the ACC with Florida State or because of the Eagles specifically? Drew, with all due respect I really want to avoid outlines here. I think they often add clutter and so long as the stuff is readable, I see removing them as part of the whole SoD adaption mantra. Patsox, I respect your opinion about the current name font (I kept the number font here) and I may revise that (though I really like the new font too), but how does this font remind you of FSU? They both may be semi-generic but I don't think they are similar. Finally, if the eagle side pattern has to go, what do you guys think could replace it? I disagree with you Andrew that this would be too "out there" for BC, because I don't really think they have some real uniform tradition. I would be okay with anything. Do you guys feel I should go more generic, or maybe I should go in a different-yet-still unique direction? Anything but the polygon. :P

Thanks everyone for your input. FSU or no FSU, I am actually really happy with how this came out in the end.

I know that they wear Reebok, I clearly say that in the intro. Also, I don't know the history of the Jazz/BC design, that's a good question.

Hey, maybe BC should wear this and FSU should switch(hmm... maybe I should redesign them too)! :P No, thanks for pointing that obvious one out. I clearly don't watch enough FSU basketball because I actually had no idea they had those feather side panels. When I think of FSU Basketball, I think of that wordmark and not the side, guess it never really impressed on me. That's unfortunate... It's quite ironic how similar the designs are. Anyway, that raises three questions. First, I'm guessing the answer is no based on the responses above, but do you think they could coexist at all? Might make for an interesting rivalry Second, disregarding FSU and any other teams, how is the design by itself? BJ - you said this would look good on anyone besides BC, is that because they are in the ACC with Florida State or because of the Eagles specifically? Drew, with all due respect I really want to avoid outlines here. I think they often add clutter and so long as the stuff is readable, I see removing them as part of the whole SoD adaption mantra. Patsox, I respect your opinion about the current name font (I kept the number font here) and I may revise that (though I really like the new font too), but how does this font remind you of FSU? They both may be semi-generic but I don't think they are similar. Finally, if the eagle side pattern has to go, what do you guys think could replace it? I disagree with you Andrew that this would be too "out there" for BC, because I don't really think they have some real uniform tradition. I would be okay with anything. Do you guys feel I should go more generic, or maybe I should go in a different-yet-still unique direction? Anything but the polygon. :P

Thanks everyone for your input. FSU or no FSU, I am actually really happy with how this came out in the end.

I meant that it doesn't work for them because they are in the ACC with FSU. The design is awesome, but just too similar to a team in the same conference isn't good. This would look good on some other teams though, Iowa comes to mind as well as maybe something like this for Oregon buck with duck feathers. I love this concept, though, great work.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Archived