Uniforms cost HS team title shot

Sodboy13

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to whoever posted the explanation from the newspaper. We could argue all day about these jersey stripes and that's exactly the point: their athletic authority has better things to do than sit around debating this or that uniform design. Think about it - they'd have to individually determine whether every team's uni caused confusion. So they wrote a simple, crystal clear rule and let's not forget that every other school apparently followed it.

Besides, this is a story for one reason and that's the one-point loss. If they'd lost by 20 the uni issue would be forgotten. There are a million 'if onlys' in any close loss, the uni thing is just one more and the school has no one to blame but themselves. But does anyone know whether this was a budget issue? Did they order the unis, realize they were illegal, but have no money to get different ones? That's the only mitigating factor I can think of. Otherwise, FAIL for those in charge. So there IS a life lesson here for the players. Sometimes your leaders fail in ridiculous ways and you suffer for it.

This reminds me of a situation I had when supervising airport agents for a major airline. One young lady wanted to wear the top three buttons of her blouse undone and leave off the required uniform tie. She'd say, "But so-and-so lets me wear it that way" blah blah blah. Boo f***in' hoo, I couldn't care less. There were 4 agents and me, I'm going to let her slide while everybody else is in uniform? No. It might not sound so from this example, but I was pretty laid back as a boss. But come on, if you're issued a uniform for a job, the most basic responsibility you have is to show up on time wearing the uniform as it's intended to be worn. If you can't handle that, there's a problem.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

If this technical foul was at the end of the game, then you could say it cost them the game
please explain how a point at the start of a game is worth less than a point at the end of a game? isn't a point a point regardless of when it is scored?
jldesigns404eo.png

If this technical foul was at the end of the game, then you could say it cost them the game
please explain how a point at the start of a game is worth less than a point at the end of a game? isn't a point a point regardless of when it is scored?

Not at all.

If the foul had been assessed at the end of the game, then they wouldn't have had an opportunity to reply and one could credibly make the argument that the foul lost them the game. As is stands, their fate was in their hands, with a minor deficit to overcome. They failed to do so.

In theory, yes. A point is a point is a point. But in practice, I'd say there's a world of difference between the two.

That is terrible. Those kids were basically punished over something they couldn't control. Also, who the hell cares what the uniforms look like?

The school was repeatedly warned. If this was suddenly dropped on them, I might understand, but it wasn't. To quote an IHSA official in the Peoria Journal Star, "We've had the coversation many times. We thought their uniforms were illegal in the past. We talked to them about it at last year's tournament."

I understand where you're coming from. They were warned, and should have done something to rectify the situation.

That said, the problem seems to be that the IHSA considered the uniforms to be illegal at all. Illegal uniforms? Come on now.

What's wrong with having uniform codes? If you don't have "illegal uniforms," then you'll end up with a team in red playing a team in red.

There's a reason for these codes.

Uniform codes are one thing. Declaring a striping pattern to be illegal? That's not quite the same as making sure one team wears white.

What's wrong with having uniform codes? If you don't have "illegal uniforms," then you'll end up with a team in red playing a team in red.

There's a reason for these codes.

Uniform codes are one thing. Declaring a striping pattern to be illegal? That's not quite the same as making sure one team wears white.

It comes from the exact same place. The ban on extending striping from front to back is intended to ensure that the teams are clearly delinated on the court.

Because the time at which the point is scored oftentimes determines how the game is played, strategically, from that point forward.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Because the time at which the point is scored oftentimes determines how the game is played, strategically, from that point forward.

Thank you. You said it so much clearer than I.

I'll agree to disagree on that point. In theory I can see how that would be the case, but in practise I don't think it would be that big a problem, if it was going to be a problem at all.

Perhaps there is a case to be made. Did they petition to change the uniform rules? Or just ignore them, despite repeated warnings that doing so would eventually earn them a sanction?

I'll agree to disagree on that point. In theory I can see how that would be the case, but in practise I don't think it would be that big a problem, if it was going to be a problem at all.

Perhaps there is a case to be made. Did they petition to change the uniform rules? Or just ignore them, despite repeated warnings that doing so would eventually earn them a sanction?

What I don't understand is why uniform suppliers make uniforms like that when they should know these are against NFHS and NCAA regulations? Also, the school's athletic director and/or coach should know these guidelines. This is not anything new. The NCAA has specific rules too which would keep many schools from wearing uniforms they wore in the past. For instance, Mizzou's basketball uniforms from the 80's and early 90's would now be considers illegal ("M" larger than rest of letters and one letter being a different color). All letters have to be the same size and same color. It's a stupid rule, but it's still a rule. Another basketball rule I don't understand is that players can't wear numbers that have a digit greater than 5.

mizzoufb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not at all.

If the foul had been assessed at the end of the game, then they wouldn't have had an opportunity to reply and one could credibly make the argument that the foul lost them the game. As is stands, their fate was in their hands, with a minor deficit to overcome. They failed to do so.

Actually they did make it up for awhile; they had a 10 point lead in the 4th which they blew; they ended up losing on a last second layup.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What I don't understand is why uniform suppliers make uniforms like that when they should know these are against NFHS and NCAA regulations? Also, the school's athletic director and/or coach should know these guidelines. This is not anything new. The NCAA has specific rules too which would keep many schools from wearing uniforms they wore in the past. For instance, Mizzou's basketball uniforms from the 80's and early 90's would now be considers illegal ("M" larger than rest of letters and one letter being a different color). All letters have to be the same size and same color. It's a stupid rule, but it's still a rule. Another basketball rule I don't understand is that players can't wear numbers that have a digit greater than 5.

Well that one makes a whole lot more sense than not letting one letter be bigger than the others. I can't quite understand the point of that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Another basketball rule I don't understand is that players can't wear numbers that have a digit greater than 5.

It helps in the signaling of fouls IIRC. One hand for the official stands for the 10s digit, one for the 1s.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Unfortunately, the standards must be worded so that there is as little allowance for "gray areas" or "interpretation" as possible, usually by erring on the side of being strict. There are 100s of high schools in Illinois, and thousands in the country; there is not enough time or manpower to evaluate "iffy" uniforms on a case-by-case basis.

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm under the impression that they ignored them and hoped the IHSA was bluffing or would change its mind-whatever the case, there was no formal petition.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived