"AFL Legacy Weekend" games

RemembertheAFL

I am an original fan of the American Football League (1960 - 1969). I have an AFL website at remembertheafl.com that has many AFL league and team logos, some scanned from my original memorabilia, some from other fans, some created by myself. I feel I was instrumental in having the Chiefs wear the 10-AFL patch in the final AFL-NFL World Championship Game, and in having Professional Football recognize what would have been the AFL's 50th season. If you would like to be added to my AFL fan and former player mailing list, contact me at remembertheafl@aol.com.

Professional Football has already announced that each of the Original Eight American Football League teams will participate in two "AFL Legacy Weekends" during which an original AFL team will play another, both wearing throwbacks. In addition, the Bills and the Chiefs will play three such games. The Bills' extra game will be the Pro Football Hall of Fame exhibition game on August 9, and the Chiefs will wear Texans uniforms against the Cowboys in 1960 throwbacks, in addition to playing two AFL teams. I am interested if anyone has information on whether the away teams in this series will be wearing "away" throwback uniforms, which would be the first season, to my knowledge, in which this has happened. I am also interested to know if any special logos, banners or patches will be used for these games, since the teams' 50th patches don't have AFL logos. Also, will the on-field officials wear AFL throwback officials' uniforms with red-striped shirts?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1960 Uniforms ? Twice

I?ve noticed on the message boards and in the comments that many of you are wondering if the Broncos will don their ?throwback? jerseys any time this season ? the 50th anniversary of the team and the AFL.

Well, it has just been formally announced from the NFL Annual Meeting in Dana Point, Calif., that the original eight AFL teams ? the Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs (then the Dallas Texans), New England Patriots (then the Boston Patriots), New York Jets (then the Titans of New York), Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers and Tennessee Titans (then the Houston Oilers) ? will play head-to-head in one home and one away ?Legacy Games? to honor the anniversary.

As a part of those games, the teams will each wear their original jerseys. That means the Broncos will don their 1960 jersey ? a brown and yellow uniform with a brown helmet ? twice.

As far as the other AFC West teams go, the Chiefs will don their 1962 duds: a red and white uniform with a red helmet featuring an outline of the state of Texas. The Chargers will sport their 1963 jersey: white pants with a yellow bolt down the legs. The Raiders will wear their 1963 threads as well: a white (away) jersey that features silver numbers outlined in black, and a silver helmet with the original Raiders logo.

Denver Broncos

photo18634.jpg

photo19540.jpg

photo18506.jpg

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

I had originally made a case for ALL the former AFL teams to participate. Professional Football disagreed. The Dolphins' uniforms have apparently changed only due to new manufacturing techniques, so they essentially already wear "throwbacks". Anything would be an improvement on the Bengals' too-busy uniforms, even the "Cleveland Brown imitation" uniforms that Paul Brown decked them out in.

1960 Uniforms ? Twice

I?ve noticed on the message boards and in the comments that many of you are wondering if the Broncos will don their ?throwback? jerseys any time this season ? the 50th anniversary of the team and the AFL.

Well, it has just been formally announced from the NFL Annual Meeting in Dana Point, Calif., that the original eight AFL teams ? the Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs (then the Dallas Texans), New England Patriots (then the Boston Patriots), New York Jets (then the Titans of New York), Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers and Tennessee Titans (then the Houston Oilers) ? will play head-to-head in one home and one away ?Legacy Games? to honor the anniversary.

As a part of those games, the teams will each wear their original jerseys. That means the Broncos will don their 1960 jersey ? a brown and yellow uniform with a brown helmet ? twice.

As far as the other AFC West teams go, the Chiefs will don their 1962 duds: a red and white uniform with a red helmet featuring an outline of the state of Texas. The Chargers will sport their 1963 jersey: white pants with a yellow bolt down the legs. The Raiders will wear their 1963 threads as well: a white (away) jersey that features silver numbers outlined in black, and a silver helmet with the original Raiders logo.

I don't understand some of the specifics of this post. It says each team will wear their "original jerseys", but then it goes on to say that some teams will be wearing jerseys from years other than 1960 -- which aren't their "original" sets. What I'm driving at here is why in the world would the Broncos choose to wear the brown and mustard monstrosities if they could go with one of the royal blue and orange designs more commonly associated with the franchise?

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I had originally made a case for ALL the former AFL teams to participate. Professional Football disagreed. The Dolphins' uniforms have apparently changed only due to new manufacturing techniques, so they essentially already wear "throwbacks". Anything would be an improvement on the Bengals' too-busy uniforms, even the "Cleveland Brown imitation" uniforms that Paul Brown decked them out in.

Hello AC! Good to see you on this board. I'm very excited about the AFL throwbacks, with the possible exception of the Broncos going brown and mustard (see posts above). I must respectfully disagree with your comment about the Dolphins, however. With the introduction of navy blue, a fairly substantial change to the "aqua" color, and different striping patterns on the helmet, jerseys and pants, the modern uniform set is really not in any way a "throwback."

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I don't understand some of the specifics of this post. It says each team will wear their "original jerseys", but then it goes on to say that some teams will be wearing jerseys from years other than 1960 -- which aren't their "original" sets. What I'm driving at here is why in the world would the Broncos choose to wear the brown and mustard monstrosities if they could go with one of the royal blue and orange designs more commonly associated with the franchise?

Could not agree more. The brown and yellow uniforms were a horrible mistake, and for the Broncos to be claiming the league made them wear them, as opposed to blue and orange, while other original AFL teams aren't doing the same rings hollow in a big way.

Chiefs get chance to turn back the clock against the Cowboys

DAVID EULITT

The Cowboys and Texans shared the Dallas market in competing football leagues in the early 1960s but never settled the matter of supremacy on the field.

They will get a chance this season. The Texans, who in 1963 moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs, will play the Cowboys at Arrowhead Stadium. The NFL on Monday granted the teams permission to wear their original uniforms and helmets from their inaugural seasons of 1960.

?Personally, that?s something I?m excited about,? Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said. ?Even though the Cowboys weren?t part of the AFL, their history is linked with that of the AFL and the Chiefs.?

The Chiefs will wear the same throwback uniforms and helmets for two other games this season. Both will come against a rival from the AFC West. One will be at Arrowhead, the other on the road.

The game against the Cowboys might mean the most to Hunt. His late father, Lamar Hunt, founded the Texans and the AFL in 1960. The NFL launched the Cowboys that same season to battle him for the Dallas market.

The Cowboys chased the Texans out of town after three seasons. Because they played in separate leagues, the teams never played one another.

?I have no doubt my father challenged (Cowboys owner) Clint Murchison probably many times during those three years,? Hunt said. ?I?m sure the NFL told Clint he couldn?t play a team from that upstart league. So we?ll finally have a chance to do that.

?This will be a fun way to remember what happened 50 years ago.?

The Chiefs and Cowboys have played eight times in the regular season since the AFL and NFL merged in 1970. Dallas won five times.

Welcome to the CCSLC, Ange Coniglio!!!

It's about time!!!

1960 Uniforms ? Twice

1960 Uniforms ? Twice

It's known as "TRADITION". Believe it or not, some of us remember those uniforms. And the Broncos, Oilers, and Patriots jerseys shown in the photo are AWAY jerseys. Still no answer to the question "Will they have both home AND away jerseys?"

the patch is PhillipsAFL50thLogo.gif. I'd rather see AFL50thLogoFromTitansSiteModifiedByAFC780h_small.gif, which has the right colors. Apparently, these patches will be worn ONLY on the throwback uniforms, with the team's individual (without AFL logo) patches on their regular uniforms.

Hello AC! Good to see you on this board. I'm very excited about the AFL throwbacks, with the possible exception of the Broncos going brown and mustard (see posts above). I must respectfully disagree with your comment about the Dolphins, however. With the introduction of navy blue, a fairly substantial change to the "aqua" color, and different striping patterns on the helmet, jerseys and pants, the modern uniform set is really not in any way a "throwback."

The Dolphins wear "navy blue"? Since when? 1967-1968: Miami69.gif

Latest wikipedia: Dolphins2009.jpg

If the Bills had changed that little, I wouldn't hate their 2009 uniform!

Archived