"AFL Legacy Weekend" games

RemembertheAFL

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will be funny/ridiculous/stupid to see the Chiefs playing with the State of Texas on their helmets. I get it. It's throwbacks.

Wonder how many Chiefs fans will buy merchandise with Texas on it.

I don't know how many Chiefs fans will buy them, but AFL fans across the country may buy them. I'm in Buffalo, and I will, along with the Oilers memoranilia that the Tennessee fans won't buy.

Well, the Oilers did play as the Oilers in Tennessee for a year or two before they became the Titans. I do think the idea is cool (and works for most of the teams), but paying tribute to Texas while playing a Texas team is quite a stretch; especially since a vast majority of the fans do not remember anything about the Texans. (Except they play in Houston now).

I love that the Broncos are wearing the original uniforms. It's a beautiful color combination, sadly unused in pro sports. If I was a Broncos fan, I'd be all over merchandise like that gold sweatshirt.

If you were a Broncos fan, you'd more than likely despise the uniforms no matter the colors. They are associated with holding a record of 7-20 and being the laughingstock of football. There's a reason those uniforms were burned in a public bonfire.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

While the brown might have seemed awful then, it's not like the Broncos haven't been lousy, or ridiculed, since. That's not even the worst two-year span in Broncos history.

They went 4-22 from 1963 to 64 - good thing nobody blamed orange. In that light, old prejudices die.

While the brown might have seemed awful then, it's not like the Broncos haven't been lousy, or ridiculed, since. That's not even the worst two-year span in Broncos history.

They went 4-22 from 1963 to 64 - good thing nobody blamed orange. In that light, old prejudices die.

I admire you for taking on the lost cause of all lost causes, defending those monstrosities that look like the Broncos' cheapskate owner bought them from a defunct college all-star game.

Oh, wait - he did. :D

Seriously, Gothamite, you're just yanking this guy's chain by defending those unis...right? :wacko:

BTW, still waiting for anybody who can clear up the powder blue vs. pacific blue issue.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Nope - I happen to love the color scheme.

Not that the uniform itself was any great shakes, but it's too bad they didn't build on it rather than jettison the colors.

At least somebody did, though I'm not sold on bringing that orangish-red into the scheme, even as just an outline. B)

ups_truck.jpg

But seriously...

pads_unis.jpg

No, sorry, I can't keep a straight face looking at those either.

Actually, they were 4-22-2. Please don't make it worse than it was. :)

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I love that the Broncos are wearing the original uniforms. It's a beautiful color combination, sadly unused in pro sports. If I was a Broncos fan, I'd be all over merchandise like that gold sweatshirt.

If you were a Broncos fan, you'd more than likely despise the uniforms no matter the colors. They are associated with holding a record of 7-20 and being the laughingstock of football. There's a reason those uniforms were burned in a public bonfire.

The first American Football League touchdown was by Al Carmichael, wearing that uniform. The first AFL PAT was by Gene Mingo (the first and one of the only black placekickers in American Professional Football), in that uniform. Goose Gonsoulin made the first AFL interception in that uniform. He once made four in one game, and still holds the club's season record. Lionel Taylor was the first Professional Football player to catch 100 passes, also in that uniform. Seems worth acknowledging.

I actually like the brown and yellow uniforms of the old Broncos. While the team was awful in them, they look really good (except for the socks). But I'd rather have them wear the uniforms seen in the first pic of Darkhaha's sig. Those uniforms are absolutely beautiful!

jNTsTyQ.png

Here's a photo from 1965. I know we can't totally trust the colors in these old photos, but in relative terms, it sure looks like the Chargers' blue is a bit darker than the Oilers':

1965_Oilers-Chargers_2.jpg

Here's another:

1965_Oiler-Chargers_Lowe-Hadl.jpg

This one's from 1966:

1966_Broncos-Chargers_color.jpg

And one from 1970:

1970_Broncos-Chargers_Tensi2.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Here's a photo from 1965. I know we can't totally trust the colors in these old photos, but in relative terms, it sure looks like the Chargers' blue is a bit darker than the Oilers':

1965_Oilers-Chargers_2.jpg

That...Chargers...uni...is...perfection. Pacific Blue kicks Powder Blue's a** IMO. The Powder Blue looks a little soft for a football team.

You know what's something you saw then that's gone now? Everybody except the QB in a 3-point stance. Even the wideouts would be in a stance. Kind of funny when you think about it.

There's also the debacle that they also had gold numbsers, and seeing as those pics are black and white, I don't think we'll ever know.

There's no "debacle" [or debate] over the Raiders' first uniforms, and all the pics are not in black and white. This is a 1965 card, but the photo was from 1960 - 1962. Color photos of other players wearing these unis are extant.

1965Topps145Otto250w.jpg

I am a big fan of your work on the Remember the AFL site and I know you are very knowledgeable about the AFL, but as someone who is relatively new to this site, you might not be aware of the previous discussions we have had on this topic. Please let me attempt to review:

You are correct that there is no debate about the colors of the original (1960-62) Raiders uniforms -- we all know they were black and gold. However, this thread began as a discussion of the throwbacks which will be used by the original AFL teams this year. The group photo shown many times above and other sources indicate the Raiders will be using uniforms from the 1963 season. Some uniform histories show the 1963 away uniforms as having silver helmets and pants, but with gold numbers. (There are some football cards from this era that appear to back this up, but they are hand-colored and as such not historically reliable, IMHO.) These are the gold numbers I believe Old School Fool was referring to.

I personally think it is unlikely that the Raiders would have totally changed their identity to black and silver and then kept gold numbers on just the away jerseys, but I have not seen any color pictures (aside from the aforementioned football cards) to conclusively settle this one way or the other. To add to the debate, from the photos I have posted above, it appears that the Raiders had away jerseys with black front and back numbers and light-colored sleeve numbers in 1963 (as verified by the helmets with the light colored shield background) and actually wore the jerseys with light-colored front and back numbers in 1964. So, I believe, there are still mysteries yet to be solved...

My misunderstanding. I correspond with old AFL fans and former players. I'll contact a couple and see if I can get it from the horse's mouth.

My problem with the brown/mustard uniforms for the Broncos isn't the alleged ugliness of the designs. Aside from the vertical stripped socks I have to agree with Goth, it's a pretty nice colour scheme and the uniforms aren't bad by any stretch if the imagination.

My problem with the Broncos using it is brand recognition. Your casual fan will be able to tell who the Chargers are when they wear their throwbacks. Same for the Raiders and the Bills. Even with the Titans, Chiefs, and Pats, the throwbacks are either widely known to be associated with that team, or the colours/logos are close enough to make a connection.

Most casual fans, however, won't be able to identify the Broncos at first glance when they wear those throwbacks. Thus why I think it's a mistake for them to wear them over either of their past orange/blue throwbacks.

FTR, I also dislike the Jets' NY Titans throwbacks for the same reason*

The first American Football League touchdown was by Al Carmichael, wearing that uniform. The first AFL PAT was by Gene Mingo (the first and one of the only black placekickers in American Professional Football), in that uniform. Goose Gonsoulin made the first AFL interception in that uniform. He once made four in one game, and still holds the club's season record. Lionel Taylor was the first Professional Football player to catch 100 passes, also in that uniform. Seems worth acknowledging.

God bless you for finding some silver linings in the Broncos' early futility. Again, though, purely for aesthetic reasons, I prefer the orange and blue, and I've put my money where my mouth is...

1965_Broncos_Road_Back.jpg

65_BroncosGG3.jpg

I'm well aware, though, that some people find these hideous. Guess it's all pretty subjective...

There's also the debacle that they also had gold numbsers, and seeing as those pics are black and white, I don't think we'll ever know.

There's no "debacle" [or debate] over the Raiders' first uniforms, and all the pics are not in black and white. This is a 1965 card, but the photo was from 1960 - 1962. Color photos of other players wearing these unis are extant.

1965Topps145Otto250w.jpg

I am a big fan of your work on the Remember the AFL site and I know you are very knowledgeable about the AFL, but as someone who is relatively new to this site, you might not be aware of the previous discussions we have had on this topic. Please let me attempt to review:

You are correct that there is no debate about the colors of the original (1960-62) Raiders uniforms -- we all know they were black and gold. However, this thread began as a discussion of the throwbacks which will be used by the original AFL teams this year. The group photo shown many times above and other sources indicate the Raiders will be using uniforms from the 1963 season. Some uniform histories show the 1963 away uniforms as having silver helmets and pants, but with gold numbers. (There are some football cards from this era that appear to back this up, but they are hand-colored and as such not historically reliable, IMHO.) These are the gold numbers I believe Old School Fool was referring to.

I personally think it is unlikely that the Raiders would have totally changed their identity to black and silver and then kept gold numbers on just the away jerseys, but I have not seen any color pictures (aside from the aforementioned football cards) to conclusively settle this one way or the other. To add to the debate, from the photos I have posted above, it appears that the Raiders had away jerseys with black front and back numbers and light-colored sleeve numbers in 1963 (as verified by the helmets with the light colored shield background) and actually wore the jerseys with light-colored front and back numbers in 1964. So, I believe, there are still mysteries yet to be solved...

My misunderstanding. I correspond with old AFL fans and former players. I'll contact a couple and see if I can get it from the horse's mouth.

That would be excellent!

Archived