"AFL Legacy Weekend" games

RemembertheAFL

I love that the Broncos are wearing the original uniforms. It's a beautiful color combination, sadly unused in pro sports. If I was a Broncos fan, I'd be all over merchandise like that gold sweatshirt.

If you were a Broncos fan, you'd more than likely despise the uniforms no matter the colors. They are associated with holding a record of 7-20 and being the laughingstock of football. There's a reason those uniforms were burned in a public bonfire.

The first American Football League touchdown was by Al Carmichael, wearing that uniform. The first AFL PAT was by Gene Mingo (the first and one of the only black placekickers in American Professional Football), in that uniform. Goose Gonsoulin made the first AFL interception in that uniform. He once made four in one game, and still holds the club's season record. Lionel Taylor was the first Professional Football player to catch 100 passes, also in that uniform. Seems worth acknowledging.

God bless you for finding some silver linings in the Broncos' early futility. Again, though, purely for aesthetic reasons, I prefer the orange and blue, and I've put my money where my mouth is...

1965_Broncos_Road_Back.jpg

65_BroncosGG3.jpg

I'm well aware, though, that some people find these hideous. Guess it's all pretty subjective...

Those jerseys + Orange Crush/Elway helmets= dream Broncos unis

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone besides me recall that the Raiders' uniform pants used to appear as though the front (forward of the leg stripe) was a lighter color than the back? This seemed to give them a metallic appearance.

Yes. I always thought the Packers pants of the early 70s had the same effect.

It's where I sit.

Nothing at all wrong with this color scheme when applied correctly:

46330a.jpg

And there's the rub. That lovely Padres jersey is some sort of off-white to my eyes, with accents of brown and yellow. The Cutler jersey shown earlier is white with some brown - very plain looking. The old time jerseys were nothing but brown and yellow, much like those unis worn by the Padres circa 1972.

It's where I sit.

My problem with the brown/mustard uniforms for the Broncos isn't the alleged ugliness of the designs. Aside from the vertical stripped socks I have to agree with Goth, it's a pretty nice colour scheme and the uniforms aren't bad by any stretch if the imagination.

My problem with the Broncos using it is brand recognition. Your casual fan will be able to tell who the Chargers are when they wear their throwbacks. Same for the Raiders and the Bills. Even with the Titans, Chiefs, and Pats, the throwbacks are either widely known to be associated with that team, or the colours/logos are close enough to make a connection.

Most casual fans, however, won't be able to identify the Broncos at first glance when they wear those throwbacks. Thus why I think it's a mistake for them to wear them over either of their past orange/blue throwbacks.

FTR, I also dislike the Jets' NY Titans throwbacks for the same reason*

I respectfully point out that because a fan born in 1987 doesn't recognize a uniform doesn't mean that nobody recognizes it. Many AFL fans are "seasoned citizens" who don't have e-mail or use the 'net. But they'll recognize the Broncos' unis, and the Titans', too.

There's also the debacle that they also had gold numbsers, and seeing as those pics are black and white, I don't think we'll ever know.

There's no "debacle" [or debate] over the Raiders' first uniforms, and all the pics are not in black and white. This is a 1965 card, but the photo was from 1960 - 1962. Color photos of other players wearing these unis are extant.

1965Topps145Otto250w.jpg

I am a big fan of your work on the Remember the AFL site and I know you are very knowledgeable about the AFL, but as someone who is relatively new to this site, you might not be aware of the previous discussions we have had on this topic. Please let me attempt to review:

You are correct that there is no debate about the colors of the original (1960-62) Raiders uniforms -- we all know they were black and gold. However, this thread began as a discussion of the throwbacks which will be used by the original AFL teams this year. The group photo shown many times above and other sources indicate the Raiders will be using uniforms from the 1963 season. Some uniform histories show the 1963 away uniforms as having silver helmets and pants, but with gold numbers. (There are some football cards from this era that appear to back this up, but they are hand-colored and as such not historically reliable, IMHO.) These are the gold numbers I believe Old School Fool was referring to.

I personally think it is unlikely that the Raiders would have totally changed their identity to black and silver and then kept gold numbers on just the away jerseys, but I have not seen any color pictures (aside from the aforementioned football cards) to conclusively settle this one way or the other. To add to the debate, from the photos I have posted above, it appears that the Raiders had away jerseys with black front and back numbers and light-colored sleeve numbers in 1963 (as verified by the helmets with the light colored shield background) and actually wore the jerseys with light-colored front and back numbers in 1964. So, I believe, there are still mysteries yet to be solved...

My misunderstanding. I correspond with old AFL fans and former players. I'll contact a couple and see if I can get it from the horse's mouth.

That would be excellent!

The Raiders' Wayne Hawkins was one of twenty men to spend all ten years on an American Football League roster. Like many of my AFL heroes, he suffers worsening memory loss. My correspondence is with his wife Sharon. I sent them the images of 1964 Topps cards #134 and #141, presumably of 1963 Raiders uniforms, and asked her what she remembered about them.

Here's her answer. "When Al Davis arrived, he changed the colors to the silver/black. The colors on the jerseys below [1964 Topps #134 and #141] surprise me and Wayne. He says:'I think the gold color is wrong!'

Hoping that is helpful. Someone has manipulated them." Kindest Regards, Sharon

I thought the only year the Raiders wore the white jerseys with silver numbers was 1970. Not 1963.

That's an interesting question which we have discussed on here before without any definitive resolution that I know of.

Here's a pic from 1963, featuring a jersey that's not widely remembered:

1963_11_24_BreauxD.jpg

Here's a pic from 1964:

1964_11_29_FraserJ.jpg

It appears to me that it was actually 1964 in which the Raiders wore the silver numbers front and back, although they were featured on the sleeves in 1963 (at least for their game in Denver). If anyone has any other pics of Riader away games from 1963 and '64, I'd love to see them.

Thought everyone might be interested in some info Timmy B shared with me on this topic:

George,

I think that I have solved what was worn for the Raiders away look for 1963 and 1964.

Here's what I came up with, courtesy of newspaperarchive.com and the Oakland Tribune:

1963 (sleeve numerals light all season long):

9/7 at Houston: Light numerals, solid black socks

9/28 at New York: Light numerals, solid black socks

10/5 at Buffalo: Photo too dark to clearly see

10/11 at Boston: Thick black numerals, solid black socks

10/27 at San Diego: Thick black numerals, thin stripes on black socks

11/8 at Kansas City: Thick black numerals, thin stripes on black socks

11/28 at Denver: Thick black numerals, thin stripes on black socks

1964:

9/19 at Houston: Light numerals with thick black o/l, thin stripes on black socks

10/3 at Buffalo: paper not available

10/10 at New York: paper not available

10/16 at Boston: Light numerals with thick black o/l, thin stripes on black socks

11/1 at San Diego: Light numerals with thick black o/l, thin stripes on black socks

11/8 at Kansas City: paper not available

11/29 at Denver: Light numerals with thick black o/l, thin stripes on black socks

Conclusion:

1963 at least for first games, Raiders DID have silver (assumed) numerals with black outline on sleeves and body. for at least last four games, Raiders had thick black numerals on body, while keeping silver numerals on sleeves. Socks were solid black early in season, then changed to a very thin NW stripe pattern, outer stripes white, inner stripe silver.

1964, even though 3 issue of Tribune missing on archive, can assume with some certainty that the away jersey had silver numerals on sleeves and body with a very thick black outline on the body numerals and a thinner black outline on sleeves for the FULL season. Socks were black with the thin NW stripes; outers white, inner silver, also for the FULL season.

The only mystery then would be what the Raiders wore for the 10/5/64 game in Buffalo.

Hope this helps!

Timmy B

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

My problem with the brown/mustard uniforms for the Broncos isn't the alleged ugliness of the designs. Aside from the vertical stripped socks I have to agree with Goth, it's a pretty nice colour scheme and the uniforms aren't bad by any stretch if the imagination.

My problem with the Broncos using it is brand recognition. Your casual fan will be able to tell who the Chargers are when they wear their throwbacks. Same for the Raiders and the Bills. Even with the Titans, Chiefs, and Pats, the throwbacks are either widely known to be associated with that team, or the colours/logos are close enough to make a connection.

Most casual fans, however, won't be able to identify the Broncos at first glance when they wear those throwbacks. Thus why I think it's a mistake for them to wear them over either of their past orange/blue throwbacks.

I respectfully point out that because a fan born in 1987 doesn't recognize a uniform doesn't mean that nobody recognizes it. Many AFL fans are "seasoned citizens" who don't have e-mail or use the 'net. But they'll recognize the Broncos' unis, and the Titans', too.

For better or worse there are more of us who don't remember the Broncos ever wearing mustard and brown. Sure, some old timers will notice it, but realistically, they aren't the ones buying most of the merchandise these days.

Now wait just a confusing minute...

Does this picture show a blue outline around the horse on the Broncos helmets against the Chargers???? Blue around everything but the orange star eye?

1966_Broncos-Chargers_color.jpg

I consider my self a pretty hardcore broncos fan and a relatively geeky uniform guy, and I have never been aware of this. Please tell me that this was discussed somewhere and I missed it. (feel free to point me in the right direction)

BroncosSig.jpg

For better or worse there are more of us who don't remember the Broncos ever wearing mustard and brown. Sure, some old timers will notice it, but realistically, they aren't the ones buying most of the merchandise these days.

I have to agree with Icecap here. Of course the seasond AFL vets will recognize the uniforms. But even here in Colorado most people don't know the Broncos wore the brown and yellow. If your just a casual fan of the NFL when you hear Broncos you think Orange and Blue. Brown and Yellow are probably some of the last things to come to mind. Sure history was made in the uniforms, but as far as people recognizing that this uniform is the Broncos, a lot of people will have some trouble. I think as far as fan recognizability and marketing goes it would be better for the Broncos to go with the orange and blue set showed a couple posts up. Not to mention those uniforms as beautiful.

jNTsTyQ.png

From today's UniWatch - here's the Patriots' reds, and the Raiders' whites, complete with accurate, extra-thick outline. And even the refs will be getting into the act!

3387207657_690613a4a2_o.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I have to agree with Icecap here. Of course the seasond AFL vets will recognize the uniforms. But even here in Colorado most people don't know the Broncos wore the brown and yellow. If your just a casual fan of the NFL when you hear Broncos you think Orange and Blue. Brown and Yellow are probably some of the last things to come to mind. Sure history was made in the uniforms, but as far as people recognizing that this uniform is the Broncos, a lot of people will have some trouble. I think as far as fan recognizability and marketing goes it would be better for the Broncos to go with the orange and blue set showed a couple posts up. Not to mention those uniforms as beautiful.

They were beautiful. Look at it this way: with the resurgence of interest in the AFL, the Broncos may make it their "third jersey" one day.

GilchristDenverColor600w.jpg

From today's UniWatch - here's the Patriots' reds, and the Raiders' whites, complete with accurate, extra-thick outline. And even the refs will be getting into the act!

Hooray! But it's amazing that with all of today's technology, they can't figure out how to reproduce the original, tapered "LSU" shoulder stripes.

They were beautiful. Look at it this way: with the resurgence of interest in the AFL, the Broncos may make it their "third jersey" one day.

The Broncos ought to make that their primary jersey today. It's the best thing they've ever worn.

It has the added bonus, unlike many classic uniforms, of being adaptable to the modern template - just chop off the orange sleeve beneath the bottom white stripe.

AFLjerseys_090324.jpg

Okay, now we've seen both the white and the red Patriots throwback jerseys (and the Raiders black and white jerseys) associated with the AFL anniversary. Is it fair to assume that teams are going to be allowed to wear a white and a dark throwback uni this season?

AFLjerseys_090324.jpg

Okay, now we've seen both the white and the red Patriots throwback jerseys associated with the AFL anniversary. Is it fair to assume that teams are going to be allowed to wear a white and a dark throwback uni this season?

I'm assuming that's the case. I know the Chiefs are wearing the throwbacks for three games, and one of those is an away game.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

AFL ref uniforms? SWEETNESS.

The Broncos ought to make that their primary jersey today. It's the best thing they've ever worn.

It has the added bonus, unlike many classic uniforms, of being adaptable to the modern template - just chop off the orange sleeve beneath the bottom white stripe.

Agreed. With blue helmets and an updated Orange Crush "D/horse" logo.

Archived