Redesigning the AHL

chickenfish13

Here is the preliminary logo sheet for the Portland Pirates.

The primary logo is pretty self-explanatory; the skull and crossed bones is a classic pirate symbol, and combining the bones with hockey sticks seemed like an obvious choice.

Originally, I had no plans to create a secondary logo, since AHL teams typically use their parent clubs? logo as their secondary. But after visiting the Pirates website, I noticed the Maine Mariners jerseys that the Pirates had used as a throwback, and tried to incorporate the helm/wheel from the Mariners logo with the primary I?d already made. I liked how it turned out, so I included it in the package, although it may go unused in the uniform set.

C&C is welcome, of course. This is my first attempt at creating a logo set from scratch, so feedback would be great.

piratesconcept-logosheet.png

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is my first ever hockey concept. I present the new logo and jerseys for the Rochester Americans.

U10893-1238537456.png

FYI- The American Hockey League wears White sweaters at home. So you should switch the "Rochester" and "Americans" on the sweaters. At least you kept the Amerks in the Flower City.

The primary logo is pretty self-explanatory; the skull and crossed bones is a classic pirate symbol, and combining the bones with hockey sticks seemed like an obvious choice.

Originally, I had no plans to create a secondary logo, since AHL teams typically use their parent clubs? logo as their secondary. But after visiting the Pirates website, I noticed the Maine Mariners jerseys that the Pirates had used as a throwback, and tried to incorporate the helm/wheel from the Mariners logo with the primary I?d already made. I liked how it turned out, so I included it in the package, although it may go unused in the uniform set.

C&C is welcome, of course. This is my first attempt at creating a logo set from scratch, so feedback would be great.

That's unbelievable for your first attempt. Making the wheel out of bones is a great idea. I love the wordmark. The only thing I would change would be to make the blades of the sticks bigger so they're more proportional with the bones at the top. Are you thinking of adding some color? Maybe a highlight color of light blue or red perhaps.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Philroy: I absolutely love what you've got for the Pirates. Superb work. The primary logo is fantastic, and the wordmark is also great. My only issue is with the execution on the secondary (the idea is wonderful). Right now, I'm seeing an "O" with bones coming out of it. Maybe if the ring was thinner and the bones came interior of it and met at a smaller circle (CHECK OUT THIS IMAGE), it would really work well.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Philroy: I absolutely love what you've got for the Pirates. Superb work. The primary logo is fantastic, and the wordmark is also great. My only issue is with the execution on the secondary (the idea is wonderful). Right now, I'm seeing an "O" with bones coming out of it. Maybe if the ring was thinner and the bones came interior of it and met at a smaller circle (CHECK OUT THIS IMAGE), it would really work well.

Thank you. You are absolutely right about the secondary.

pirates-altcomparison.png

undead; TalktoChuck - Thank you both for the feedback as well. As undead suggested, I'm going to take another run at the stick blades, and see how it looks. As far as colour goes, I like the black/white/silver, but there are times when I look at it and thinks it needs some colour. Once I've got the logos finalized, the colour scheme will get some more attention.

Originally, I had no plans to create a secondary logo, since AHL teams typically use their parent clubs’ logo as their secondary. But after visiting the Pirates website, I noticed the Maine Mariners jerseys that the Pirates had used as a throwback, and tried to incorporate the helm/wheel from the Mariners logo with the primary I’d already made. I liked how it turned out, so I included it in the package, although it may go unused in the uniform set.

pirates-altcomparison.png

That is RIDICULOUS for you first attempt!!! The ONLY thing I don't like is that it doesn't say Portland anywhere...I love the update of the alternate a couple posts down aswell. Very nice set.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Chickenfish, is there any way we could set a 'due date' and maybe throw voting into the mix. Get all the concepts compiled nicely. I know that a lot of people don't look at a long thread unless theyve been following it or are a part of it. It'd be good to get more people to see everyone's stuff.

just an idea.

If there isn't any rules that say I can't just decide to have voting ( because it might make it a contest or something) I would love to do that. Once everyone's concept is done, I could make a list of links to their concept, and we can vote on the best one. Or we could split them up into the AHL divisions, and vote by division.

Ok, I started this concept a few days ago and it didn't take long, I don't know why, maybe I was just having a good day because it usually takes me a while to get the renderings right. But I was happy with the way it came out, obviously I can still make changes as it has room for improvement but I want the general idea to look like this. So I present, the Peoria Rivermen...

RivermenLogos.gif

RivermenJerseys2.gif

I went with a simple one color design like the Red Wings or Maple Leafs, I used royalish blue because they are the Blues affiliate. I might try working in some navy but I couldn't quite make it look right in the primary logo when I tried before. The primary is a kind of stately looking ship on top of the wordmark with a water/river design worked in. The secondary is a simple anchor, inspired by sailor tattoos. The wordmark has a curve throughout the center which is supposed to represent waves or river or something nautical to that effect. The jerseys have a modern feel to them but also the minimalist scheme you would expect with a one color design. I tried to keep in mind EDGE templates, although it doesn't match any EDGE template perfectly it has that feel to it, but also do something interesting like you would expect in the minor leagues.

Hopefully you like it, comments are appreciated.

Ok, I started this concept a few days ago and it didn't take long, I don't know why, maybe I was just having a good day because it usually takes me a while to get the renderings right. But I was happy with the way it came out, obviously I can still make changes as it has room for improvement but I want the general idea to look like this. So I present, the Peoria Rivermen...

RivermenLogos.gif

RivermenJerseys2.gif

I went with a simple one color design like the Red Wings or Maple Leafs, I used royalish blue because they are the Blues affiliate. I might try working in some navy but I couldn't quite make it look right in the primary logo when I tried before. The primary is a kind of stately looking ship on top of the wordmark with a water/river design worked in. The secondary is a simple anchor, inspired by sailor tattoos. The wordmark has a curve throughout the center which is supposed to represent waves or river or something nautical to that effect. The jerseys have a modern feel to them but also the minimalist scheme you would expect with a one color design. I tried to keep in mind EDGE templates, although it doesn't match any EDGE template perfectly it has that feel to it, but also do something interesting like you would expect in the minor leagues.

Hopefully you like it, comments are appreciated.

Very nice! My only grudge is that the jersey looks really busy with the wordmark on the logo too. Perhaps create a partial logo and use it as the primary on the jerseys. Similar to the San Antonio Rampage.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

That is really good Elliott. I only have one gripes. The first one is that one the primary logo, the water that wraps around the ship and wordmark seems kind of small. Try thickening it up or making it bigger in some way. Other than that it looks fantastic.

jNTsTyQ.png

I believe there is an unpicked team. I will grab the Edmonton Roadrunners and likely move them and give them an affiliation with the one team that doesn't have one. Does anyone know which team that is?

I believe there is an unpicked team. I will grab the Edmonton Roadrunners and likely move them and give them an affiliation with the one team that doesn't have one. Does anyone know which team that is?

The Roadrunners haven't been in the league for about 2-3 years. Sorry.

MCrosby: Yeah, once we are done, I could just make another thread for all the concepts. I think a good timeline would be around april 15th-20th?

Elliott: I really like that concept. I think it might look better if you could work some yellow into their, but I don't know where it would go. Highlights/accents on the ship maybe?

The Roadrunners haven't been in the league for about 2-3 years. Sorry.

MCrosby: Yeah, once we are done, I could just make another thread for all the concepts. I think a good timeline would be around april 15th-20th?

Elliott: I really like that concept. I think it might look better if you could work some yellow into their, but I don't know where it would go. Highlights/accents on the ship maybe?

Except they are a dormant franchise and could be put into play at anytime. They never folded, they were just suspended. All they need is a NHL affiliate. See this article here:

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/edmont...rs%2fstory.html

Archived