The Australian Football Thread, 2009

BB61

Well, after kicking and screaming and carrying on, justice was finally served.

A very reliable source (well, several) have informed us that the Grand Final will be shown live in its entirety on ESPN Classic, starting at Midnight on Saturday morning, September 26th.

Who will play that night will be determined this weekend. St. Kilda takes on the Bulldogs, while Geelong faces Collingwood.

philly.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, after kicking and screaming and carrying on, justice was finally served.

A very reliable source (well, several) have informed us that the Grand Final will be shown live in its entirety on ESPN Classic, starting at Midnight on Saturday morning, September 26th.

Who will play that night will be determined this weekend. St. Kilda takes on the Bulldogs, while Geelong faces Collingwood.

Hooray! Between this, and the NRL Grand Final being shown (albeit on tape delay) the following Sunday on Spike, this is the good stuff.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Just found out that the Grand Final will be shown in Canada on TSN2. Damn!

After finding out it is official, the High Park Demons will be hosting The Ultimate AFL 2009 Grand Final party at Whelan's Gate near Bloor Street West and Keele Street in Toronto. Festivities will start at midnight Friday September 25th. $10 cover goes to support the High Park Demons Australian Football Club.

I invite everyone in the Toronto area to join us at 1663 Bloor Street West to celebrate.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Just found out that the Grand Final will be shown in Canada on TSN2. Damn!

After finding out it is official, the High Park Demons will be hosting The Ultimate AFL 2009 Grand Final party at Whelan's Gate near Bloor Street West and Keele Street in Toronto. Festivities will start at midnight Friday September 25th. $10 cover goes to support the High Park Demons Australian Football Club.

I invite everyone in the Toronto area to join us at 1663 Bloor Street West to celebrate.

And I invite everyone to join us at Mikey's American Grill at 32nd and Chestnut Sts. in Philadelphia as the Philadelphia Hawks host the 2009 Grand Final. $20 gets you into the bar, a drink ticket, and a meat pie. The party starts at 10, and will have live music until the game starts at about 12:30am ET. Proceeds go to the Philadelphia Hawks Australian Football Club.

Full details at phillyhawks.com.

And a complete listing of Grand Final Parties outside of Australia can be found right here.

philly.png

Somehow St Kilda managed to score more than the Bulldogs to win our way through to our 6th grand final and our first since 1997. I don't know but we are pretty lucky to get across the line last night, and will need to play a helluva lot better next week if we are to claim our 2nd ever premiership. The Bulldogs are a tad unlucky, they played really well last night and if they could have kicked straighter and capitalised on their first half dominance then the story would have a different ending. Tonight Geelong take on Collingwood for the chance to play St Kilda next week. Geelong should be far too strong but Collingwood will put up a bit of a fight. Personally I would prefer to play Collingwood next week, mainly because I'm more confident of beating them. BUT :censored:ING C'MON SAINTS! Let's do it!!!!!!!!

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Cats vs. Saints in the Grand Final as the MCG hosts the big game for the 102nd time. Geelong's third straight GF and sixteenth overall, looking for their eighth premiership. St. Kilda's sixth GF, first since 1997, looking for their second flag in their Phillies-like 111 seasons.

I'd really like to see the Saints win, but as Matt said, they need to play better than they have in the past few weeks. They need to bring their A-game, or else it'll be 2007 all over again.

Meanwhile, back in the States, this past Saturday's games (including our 139-74 loss in Boston) wrapped up the USAFL campaign. New York claimed the EAFL championship on August 29th, Chicago took home their third straight MAAFL title, and Orange County's 6-0 record was the best of the western clubs (who aren't in an organized conference).

Seeding for the National Championships in Mason, Ohio, will be out within the next two weeks. It does have a bit of a "Selection Sunday" vibe around it, with teams finding out which of the four divisions they'll play in. Of Division I's eight spots, it looks like New York (EAFL winners), Orange County (Western winners), Chicago (MAAFL winners), Seattle ('08 D-II winners) and Baltimore/Washington ('08 D-I runners up) will be automatic bids. Vancouver ('08 Champions) are up in the air pending discussion on allowing US teams to play for our national championship. Chicago didn't send a team last year, so they too are up in the air. The at-large spots will probably be claimed by San Diego, Denver, Golden Gate, and possibly Boston.

We'll be in D-III. Again. <_<

philly.png

well Brian, to be fair, it'd make more sense to allow US teams to play for the US national championship than for Canadian teams to do so...that is, unless Vancouver's gonna be representing Vancouver, Washington ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm not sure why Canada doesn't have it's own national tournament. And I'm not sure why USFooty feels the need to have Canadian teams in our national tournament. But they do, and two of the three teams they entered won their divisions (D-I men and women's division) and a third lost in the D-II Final.

philly.png

I'm not sure why Canada doesn't have it's own national tournament. And I'm not sure why USFooty feels the need to have Canadian teams in our national tournament. But they do, and two of the three teams they entered won their divisions (D-I men and women's division) and a third lost in the D-II Final.

They just started to have one this year, unfortunately it only involved the Ontario teams (and note time of year). http://www.aflcanada.com/news/2009/05/broadview_hawks_win_first_canadian_australian_football_championship.php

I think part of issue is the teams in the pacific northwest/Western Canada need teams to play against. Seattle and Portland are part of Northwest league that includes Vancouver, which is closer than San Francisco. Calgary and Edmonton need to play somewhere as well. With the cost of air travel, the western teams need to have a reason to go east, and the US Footy nationals is the best reason to go at this time of year.

I saw, I came, I left.

They just started to have one this year, unfortunately it only involved the Ontario teams (and note time of year). http://www.aflcanada.com/news/2009/05/broadview_hawks_win_first_canadian_australian_football_championship.php

I think part of issue is the teams in the pacific northwest/Western Canada need teams to play against. Seattle and Portland are part of Northwest league that includes Vancouver, which is closer than San Francisco. Calgary and Edmonton need to play somewhere as well. With the cost of air travel, the western teams need to have a reason to go east, and the US Footy nationals is the best reason to go at this time of year.

That's true. Those are all valid points, but my concern comes more from the standpoint of the development of the game in the US. It seems as though USFooty has become stagnant -- the disappointing 7th place finish in the International Cup last year, the turmoil going on in the front office (at least three clubs were ready to boycott Nationals because of the lack of transparency with the financial and the shoddy way that Nationals were handled last year), and the fact that there really is no widespread grass roots action to grow the game. I just don't think that a Canadian team being the National champions helps any of that.

philly.png

Well tonight... or tomorrow... is the big night / day / whatever. Geelong v St. Kilda for the 113th AFL Premiership.

The game will be on ESPN Classic starting at 11:30pm EDT with the pregame festivities. In Canada, the game will be on TSN2 starting at 12:30am EDT.

Here is a listing of Grand Final Parties around the world -- many of them hosted by your local footy team. Go out and celebrate with fellow footy fanatics and support your local club.

philly.png

Hm. The party in Minneapolis (Brit's on Nicollet Mall) isn't listed. No matter, I'll be there after a concert.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It's TODAY.

The day has finally arrived.

It's been raining for the last few days, and they expect a thunderstorm to come across town for the second half of the game.

I hope everyone enjoys their Grand Final parties.

I will be watching from our beach house.

(It's Spring Break Down Under)

Here's a link to the weather radar for those looking to see where the rain is:

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR024.loop.shtml?looping=1&reloaded=0&topography=true&locations=true&range=true#skip

It will be coming from the South. (Antarctica)

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived