The Australian Football Thread, 2009

BB61

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that was one hell of an end to a half, wasn't it? These conditions are absolute slop, but the players sure are making the most of them.

Also, question for the Aussie contingent: what was that song played at the end of the first half on the broadcast? I know Nine used to use it as their intro music for Friday Night Football, but I've no clue as to the title or artist.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That was a legendary Grand Final. Slop or not, it was very dramatic, especially in that long span in the fourth when there weren't any goals scored. But with ten minutes left, I said out loud, "next goal wins". Geelong got it, and Geelong won.

St. Kilda should've won this one. Those missed shots early on cost them, and that blown call in the second when that steal off of Dawson in the backline grazed off the inside of the post was paid a goal was costly too. But the umpiring seemed pretty sub-par all game.

If that was your first match, you saw a classic.

philly.png

I wouldn't go too far with the blown call. The Saints pretty much got a makeup with that free kick for arguing.

What killed the Saints, I thought, was the blocked kick in front of their own posts leading to the Geelong goal. That was the mistake that killed them, I thought.

VmWIn6B.png

What a great game. Sure makes up for the round 14 match as I was away on vacation and didn't get a chance to watch it. Geelong had the experience and had enough in the tank to get the goals in the 4th quarter. This seem to summarise the Saints season, strong start, bad finish. They lost 3 of the last 5. Well done, Geelong.

Another highlight: Mike Pyke slipping at the start of the Grand Final sprint :lol:

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm pretty disappointed. We played well but couldn't kick straight. Things just didn't go our way. That is all it came down to. McQualter, Milne, Schneider, Dempster all had chances and missed. In the last quarter we kept kicking it high and long and with a wet ball, it is never going to be marked. Riewoldt was well held as was Kosi, but still, we had our chance and weren't able to capitalise on it. Unfortunately footy is like that sometimes.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this up again, and for the next-to-last time this season.

The US Australian Football National Championships take place this weekend, October 10th and 11th, in bea-yootiful Mason, Ohio (which is reportedly near Cincinnati). A record 38 teams representing 28 clubs from the US and Canada will compete across four men's divisions and a women's division.

A big, huge fuss is being made over the seedings, as per normal. The biggest, of course, is in Division I, as there seems to be one Group of Death, and a cupcake pool. We'll see what happens.

I've written preview articles here on the top three men's divisions, and will be doing some reporting (when I'm not playing, goal umpiring or stuffing my face with Four 'n Twenty Meatpies) over the weekend.

I'm pretty stoked about it.

philly.png

Archived