Usfl Concept: Houston Gamblers

nitroseed

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nitroseed-

great work, interesting concepts, and I loved the USFL. I think the G logo update is abit too round, perhaps giving it more of a shape other than circular may help solidfy the design some, and balance the forces at work in it.

I like the king idea a lot, and feel your trepidation with it, I think the field is wide open to experiement with just how far you can integrate football/cards into a pretty faithful depiction of a king on a card. I'm not sure I ca offer any advice just yet, but maybe overlapping some cards and other kings and arms could make for a good wordmark logo?

I like the idea of taking the king's face and using it as a helmet logo.

Nitro,

Very nice work on the Gamblers update. I like the "King theme", you wanna be King when your a gambler. Just an idea, what about the "suicide king"; sword behind the head. Maybe a different look - Just an idea - I love your work !!! :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Nice job on the updated "G" - I think it's very realistic to think this is something the team would have done sometime in the mid to late 90's. The updated logo package looks terrific, however it probably wouldn't have been "Texas" enough for the team to use. That said, it's a logo and a theme that someone should be using. Let's say the "spos were to move there - replace the sword with a bat and you've got yourself a great logo.

sorry if it's been mentioned before, but here are my suggestions...

i like the card logo, and i like the updated G logo. i think the G would look best on the helmets, and the card being a secondary... i think it should appear on the uniforms, but modified a bit...

take away the text on the uniforms, and just keep the card part of it, but make a few cards behind it as well... if you put that on the sleeves of the jersey, and had the G on the helmets, i think that'd be a damn-near perfect combo in my mind.

As always, nice execution and a nice idea for a project. Hmmm maybe if I have any available time I'll tackle the american teams from the WLAF :)

On the update of the Gamblers: I dig it. Logical update, the only thing I would correct is having the top of the cross bar from the "G" line up with the top horizontal edge of the star to get that "G" to pop out more as a letter "G". You can see that part of the "G" line up in the old logo. Just carry that through and you are fini.

On your Gamblers' revamp: I think you have a great concept here but it needs to be pushed a little further IMO. The card idea is great but when I think of gambling I think of poker or 21, or multiple cards that make up a hand not just one, a king in this case. I wish I could find the old Green Bay Gamblers hockey logo. It was a nice simple mark of a cowboy holding up a hand of cards near his face in shadow.

I don't really know what to suggest at this point. I know exactly what you are trying to do, implying the playing card without illustrating one. In that I think you've accomplished your goal but it doesn't scream Gamblers to me right away. don't know if implying multiple cards fanned out behind the king would work or not. It might create a nice arcing shape though. You have lots of options on this and I can't wait to see the 2nd go round.

One nitpick on the wordmark, I like the font choice and the diamond accents but IMO it looks too busy with the serifs and the letter forms merging together at the same time. Maybe keep some of the letter forms separate or eliminate some serifs where they are connected. Just a thought.

Looking forward to your ongoing USFL resurrection. :notworthy:

I like the modification of the original logo as well. On a historical note, when Gamblers owner Jerry Argovitz came up with his teams name, it reflected the gamble he was taking buying a team in the USFL.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

I like the modification of the original logo as well. On a historical note, when Gamblers owner Jerry Argovitz came up with his teams name, it reflected the gamble he was taking buying a team in the USFL.

I think Argovitz would like the king logo seeing as how a gold crown is involved (for those who don't know, Argovitz is a dentist).

Nitro, How many other USFL teams have you done so far. Think the update of the Gamblers turned out great! Makes me realize how much I miss spring football even though ArenaBall is a near suitable substitute. Keep em' coming.

Nitro, How many other USFL teams have you done so far. Think the update of the Gamblers turned out great! Makes me realize how much I miss spring football even though ArenaBall is a near suitable substitute. Keep em' coming.

hey here is the link to the other thread. This has the others he did.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=6125

Well, so far I have done three: the Panthers, the Stallions and now the Gamblers, although I will be going back and completely redoing the Panthers and Stallions, since I was not at all happy with how they turned out. The Gamblers will be receiving some tweaks as well.

nitro...

Benchmark work as always. A couple of thoughts completely "off the top of my head".

1) On the complete overhaul, what about sliding the current "card" slightly to the right, so that it's right-hand edge is aligned above the middle of the "R" in "GAMBLERS" (or thereabouts). Slightly enlarge the "card" so that you can fit in a capital letter denoting rank and a suit symbol in the upper left-hand corner. Add in the edges of three or four more "cards" fanning back from the main "card", so as to give the impression of a "hand" of cards.

2) Admittedly, this idea is a bit more "off-the-wall". I took your tongue-in-cheek comment about slapping a cowboy hat on the king... and I ran with it. What if you made the layout changes that I suggested above, THEN you took it a step further. We're all familiar with the stylized design used to illustrate the figures on playing cards. Well, what if the "king" on the "card" in the Gamblers logo was, in fact, "Westernized"? Using the same "styling" and traditional colors (Red, Black, Gold and White) that are used on playing cards (and, which you paid homage to in your design), illustrate a stereotypical Western gambler-type. In other words, replace the crown with a Western-styled hat (think Maverick)... have the "Gambler King" wearing a string-tie, etc. The end result would be a fusion in which the fanned playing cards, the ranks/suits and the overall style of the figure on the face-card would speak to the idea of a deck of cards... while the fact that the figure is "dressed" as a gambler speaks to the team name and location. I don't know what you'd replace the sword with: A six-gun? A fanned hand of cards (talk about symbolism within symbolism)?

Like I said, just a couple of thoughts.

Brian in Boston

Nitro, I just realized I completely missed this thread. I love the update of the old Gambler's logo. It looks fantastic and the thing about football logos, are that the simple ones are usually the most effective (Texans as an example). Even though I like the King Card, It would probably be best used as a wordmark, IMHO.

Just a thought.

Archived