Usfl Concept: Houston Gamblers

nitroseed

Feels like forever since I've been productive on this board, but I'm making my comeback with my latest addition to the upcoming USFL Resurrection project, the Houston Gamblers.

For this entire project, I'm attempting two things: 1) to "update" the original logo to fit modern times. In other words, no major overhauls, just keeping the same basic idea and shape, only retweaking it (similar to what the Seahawks and Falcons have done with their logos) And 2) to do a completely overhauled version, rebranding the team entirely. I will be doing uniforms and secondaries with them, but they will not be unveiled until the entire project is complete.

I have attempted to recreate logos for the Michigan Panthers and Birmingham Stallions, however I am going to redo those concepts, so ultimately this is my first team that I've done in this fashion. So, without further ado...

The classic update:

gamblers-update.gif

And the complete overhaul:

gamblers-2004.gif

The concept behind the overhauled logo should be obvious, but if it isn't, then I'll tell you that I took inspiration from the King face card in a deck of playing cards. I wanted to avoid the obvious use of dice and try something with a little more range. For the helmet, the entire card logo could be used, or just the king's head could be "peeled off" and used that way.

As always, I encourage your feedback and would like to know how you feel about these. Enjoy!

That is an awesome logo.

Another playing card logo what would work with Gamblers would be that of the Jack of Spades (i.e. he holds a club or stick in his hand), in fact, make it a one-eyed jack with an eyepatch.

Also, I plan to have a fantasy hockey team called the Jackson Gamblers. Could you do a logo and alternate ones with "Jackson" in the place of Houston.

If Jackson ever gets a hockey team and if the team name is Gamblers, I would use your logo and you would get absolute credit for it.

For hockey, with the King or one-eyed Jack, you could substitute a hockey stick for the sword or the billy club.

Like I said, the card logo and colors are awesome!

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nitro,

Nice work all around but I think the overhauled version needs overhauled. I like the idea of using cards to project the gambling theme but the king and sword hit you first before the idea of cards does. What I'm saying is the card image is getting lost.

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

I think the Gamblers organization back in '84 missed a golden opportunity when they came up with that "G" design. Nitro has upgraded it nicely, but even modernized, I still think so much more could've been done with a "Gamblers" nickname.

The card logo is great. A unique take on what many would pursue regarding a design (specifically, cards or dice) for a team called the "Gamblers."

nav-logo.png

Well, I've decided just to start over with this. I'm going to do this in a very orderly fashion, if possible... set up a website, do it right. I felt like I was rushing into this and not taking my time. I'll start working on this project again soon. I have a couple of other things up my sleeve first... :)

If anyone cares, I got the Oklahoma Outlaws' Pantones yesterday (Black and Red 485 C), so the only USFL teams I do not have the Pantones for are the following:

• Arizona Outlaws (probably can correctly guess them based on the Wranglers and OK Outlaws' colors)
  • Denver Gold (need the Gold used in '85)
  • Los Angeles Express (only need the Burgundy - might have had two different shades over the three seasons)
  • Pittsburgh Maulers

I've got all the rest of them...however, lots of teams used custom colors (Birmingham, Houston, Jacksonville, and Philadelphia/Baltimore), and Chicago used two inks from the Handschy pallette.

Bastards.

Donovan? Didn't I send you some of these a long while ago?

You sure did...still need the ones I listed above though...

(you've even got credit on my USFL Paint Specs page)

Donovan?  Didn't I send you some of these a long while ago?

You sure did...still need the ones I listed above though...

(you've even got credit on my USFL Paint Specs page)

My bad... when I saw that you were missing Arizona's I neglected to see the word "Outlaws" afterward; I thought I'd given you those but it turned out to be the Wranglers...

nav-logo.png

Just got the Pittsburgh Maulers' Pantones tonight, so I thought I'd share:

PITTBURGH MAULERS PURPLE - 275 C

PITTBURGH MAULERS ORANGE - Warm Red C

PITTBURGH MAULERS GRAY - 429 C

Archived