2010 World Cup Qualifying

TFoA

This may be a stupid question to some, but just how many games are there in World Cup qualifying?

All I know as of right now is that Portugal is about 4 points back from the top 2 spots in their group.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, for THIS round, it depends on the number of teams. Mostly, it's a home-and-home round robin. Everybody plays everybody at home at least once. Then, depending on your group and the place you finish in your group. Right now in UEFA, the top team in 9 groups qualifies automatically, the 2nd place team goes into a knockout tournament with all the other 2nd place teams for the next 4 spots.

CONCACAF (North America) is different. Right now, the top 3 teams qualify, and the 4th place team goes on to face the 5th place COMMEBOL (South America) team.

But yeah, Wikipedia explains it better than I can. :P

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This may be a stupid question to some, but just how many games are there in World Cup qualifying?

All I know as of right now is that Portugal is about 4 points back from the top 2 spots in their group.

Well, for THIS round, it depends on the number of teams. Mostly, it's a home-and-home round robin. Everybody plays everybody at home at least once. Then, depending on your group and the place you finish in your group. Right now in UEFA, the top team in 9 groups qualifies automatically, the 2nd place team goes into a knockout tournament with all the other 2nd place teams for the next 4 spots.

CONCACAF (North America) is different. Right now, the top 3 teams qualify, and the 4th place team goes on to face the 5th place COMMEBOL (South America) team.

Oh okay.

Much obliged good sir.

Hi, how are you?

Hold on, not all the 2nds go forward, the worst 2nd doesn't.

LvZYtbZ.png

Just off hand, does anyone know when teams will start putting out their World Cup kits? I thought they did that one year before the WC, but I could be wrong. I do remember the USA used those cool red jerseys during a single qualifying game prior to the '06 WC in Germany, which they then scrapped. I also noticed the current U.S. kits are on sale on the US Soccer website.

On a 2nd note, TFoA, are you going to the AC Milan vs. America game here in Atlanta in July? I'm planning on going, and if I can get 20 people to go, we can get a ticket discount.

On my final note, I find it interesting that as it stands right now, Mexico is actually in danger of not making the World Cup. A lot can happen in their final three games, but it's entirely possible that they wouldn't qualify. Instead the USA, Costa Rica, and Honduras would make it out of the CONCACAF. Weird.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

On my final note, I find it interesting that as it stands right now, Mexico is actually in danger of not making the World Cup. A lot can happen in their final three games, but it's entirely possible that they wouldn't qualify. Instead the USA, Costa Rica, and Honduras would make it out of the CONCACAF. Weird.

This is extremely possible and will probably happen. Mexico hasn't been playing good soccer at all. Unless they can turn it around big time in the last three games, Mexico won't make the cup.

jNTsTyQ.png

Just off hand, does anyone know when teams will start putting out their World Cup kits? I thought they did that one year before the WC, but I could be wrong. I do remember the USA used those cool red jerseys during a single qualifying game prior to the '06 WC in Germany, which they then scrapped. I also noticed the current U.S. kits are on sale on the US Soccer website.

I think it varies. England's new all white kit will be what they wear in South Africa. I would expect umbro to put out a new red away kit for England sometime march/april next year.

I do remember that other manufacturers put out there World Cup 06 kits earlier than I would have expected. But not a year beforehand. My prediction would be that new kits for World Cup 2010 would start being released around january/feb 2010, after the qualification period has finished and the draw for the competition has been made. But I guess some manufacturers might start putting out new kits before Christmas this year.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

This is extremely possible and will probably happen. Mexico hasn't been playing good soccer at all. Unless they can turn it around big time in the last three games, Mexico won't make the cup.

But they have seven games to go?

LvZYtbZ.png

Mexico does have this going for them: The best home field (or pitch for the sake of sounding authentic :P) advantage in all of CONCACAF. It's still hard as hell to beat Mexico in Azteca, even in their current state of disarray.

& BGMack, I gotta tell ya, the first that I've heard of AC Milan v. America was through you. I think I might have to go see that. You never know when two teams like that will come to Atlanta again...and you never know, a strong fan showing might convince The Powers that Be to bring an MLS team here someday.

If even 10% of the people going to that game bothered to see the Silverbacks... eh, never mind.

I'm not sure how realistic it is to say I think it might be the year the US finally gets a win in Azteca, but in any case I'm planning on being at the game.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Mexico does have this going for them: The best home field (or pitch for the sake of sounding authentic :P) advantage in all of CONCACAF. It's still hard as hell to beat Mexico in Azteca, even in their current state of disarray.

& BGMack, I gotta tell ya, the first that I've heard of AC Milan v. America was through you. I think I might have to go see that. You never know when two teams like that will come to Atlanta again...and you never know, a strong fan showing might convince The Powers that Be to bring an MLS team here someday.

I'm not sure it's fair to say if a large crowd for AC Milan vs. America validates Atlanta as worthy of an MLS team. True it shows that there are soccer fans here, but mixed among that are the people who would go just because it's one of those rare opportunity events in the area. If they were to play a series of games in Atlanta, and then average out the crowds, I think you'd get a better idea because you'd see what happens once the novelty wore off.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• 1 month later...

Well, WCQ is back on for most of the world. A couple of nights ago the USMNT went to Costa Rica and got shellacked 3-1. Half because Costa Rica is SO good at home, and half because the US just came out super flat and got owned because of it. Now, tonight they play Honduras at Soldier Field, currently trailing 2 points behind Costa Rica with plenty of games left. But, the US has got to take advantage of their home fixtures by winning out at home, and they've got a good chance to do that against Honduras tonight.

Meanwhile, in Europe...Oranje beat Iceland 2-1 (should've been AT LEAST 6-1) to win their group and are officially the first team from Europe to qualify for South Africa. They've joined Australia, Japan, South Korea, and hosts South Africa.

HUP HUP HOLLAND

They be through but lets go unbeaten in the group 2 more to go, hopefully we'll have some friendly's against some higher ranked countries just to get ready for next June.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Hah!

I love how karma came around so quickly in the game. Blanco flops and earns a penalty to tie it 1-1, then one of their defensemen commits a handball in the box, El Salvador score on the penalty and now Mexico's in danger of missing the World Cup entirely. Hilarious.

El Salvador has a CRAZY crowd. That's probably the best home field advantage in CONCACAF, other than Costa Rica with their fieldturf pitch.

EDIT: Nvm Mexico being in danger of missing the world cup at this point. They've still got plenty of time to turn it around...but it's not looking good. They've been playing bad football for a while now.

I was at USA/Honduras at Soldier Field last night. Good game, though the US came out a bit flat again and gave up a goal five minutes in. Unfortunately, the crowd was two-third Honduran; it was highly disappointing.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I was at USA/Honduras at Soldier Field last night. Good game, though the US came out a bit flat again and gave up a goal five minutes in. Unfortunately, the crowd was two-third Honduran; it was highly disappointing.

Part of that could be that Chicago has a decent Honduran population. But I'm sure alot of Honduran-American's flew in for the night...

The USMNT has to be used to playing "away" games on home soil. Part of it is the lack of fan support for the sport (in numbers, there are plenty of die-hard fans) here but I think the larger thing is people from the other countries NEVER get too see their team play live so when they do, they go in large numbers.

Its unfortunate but it is one of the things that makes America so unique, the melting pot and all... in some ways I think its cool that that many people of Honduran (or whatever country) origin are in the US... you don't find that anywhere else.

Part of that could be that Chicago has a decent Honduran population. But I'm sure alot of Honduran-American's flew in for the night...

The USMNT has to be used to playing "away" games on home soil. Part of it is the lack of fan support for the sport (in numbers, there are plenty of die-hard fans) here but I think the larger thing is people from the other countries NEVER get too see their team play live so when they do, they go in large numbers.

Its unfortunate but it is one of the things that makes America so unique, the melting pot and all... in some ways I think its cool that that many people of Honduran (or whatever country) origin are in the US... you don't find that anywhere else.

You would find plenty of that in Canada (especially Toronto) when it comes to soccer. I remember the final qualifier for the 1994 World Cup in Toronto between Canada and Mexico. I was heading down for a Blue Jays game and I noticed a lot of Mexican supporters on the way. I do wonder, if Canada ever qualifies for the World Cup again, that the people here will embrace the team in the tournament.

I saw, I came, I left.

You would find plenty of that in Canada (especially Toronto) when it comes to soccer. I remember the final qualifier for the 1994 World Cup in Toronto between Canada and Mexico. I was heading down for a Blue Jays game and I noticed a lot of Mexican supporters on the way. I do wonder, if Canada ever qualifies for the World Cup again, that the people here will embrace the team in the tournament.

My apologies...you do see quite a lot of immigration in Canada too. Just seems like it'd be really odd to see events in other countries be "away" matches but in US and Canada, its pretty much expected when it comes to international sports. Look at the World Baseball Classic...the US and Canada games in both countries were almost away contests...

Archived