Brewers Barrel Man History

fitz

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why the hell isn't this a sleeve patch on the Brewers' jerseys? It's like the Salma Hayek of alternate logos :wub:

Howz 'about this version - in the Brewers' current colors (plus Black):

MilwaukeeBrewers_TATC_SE3_0000.png

I still need to correct the left side of that logo.

Why the hell isn't this a sleeve patch on the Brewers' jerseys? It's like the Salma Hayek of alternate logos :wub:

Howz 'about this version - in the Brewers' current colors (plus Black):

MilwaukeeBrewers_TATC_SE3_0000.png

I still need to correct the left side of that logo.

The only thing that irks me is how the Barrel Man extends past the left side of the box, yet the right side doesn't go out of the bottom, but if that's what you're fixing, then it's great. I'm kinda curious, though, how it's look if the black was navy, and the little patch on his hat that's blue is made gold. Regardless, it's friggin' awesome.

I'd just like to take a moment to thank everyone in this thread for bringing back memories of the only good thing to come out of 1999's TATC promotion. I do kinda wish I had one of those hats and/or jerseys. It's great to hear that BBM merchandise will be sold at Miller Park, though. I'll definitely have to keep my eyes peeled for that when I pay a visit in June.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Gothamite sure does love him some BBM.

I love the font on the TATC jerseys. Best Brewer font ever.

That's about the only thing said in this thread that I can agree with. :D

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It was a great font.

The 1996-1999 Brewer uniform set was the best the club has ever seen, hands down. I would have made two minor modifications - add BBM to the sleeve and remove the (by this time pointless) green, and presto - sheer perfection.

I actually really liked the green in that initial road set. My only change to that one would be to remove the MB from the jersey (I think they had it in place of a front number, right?) and shrink the cap logo a little bit.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I actually really liked the green in that initial road set. My only change to that one would be to remove the MB from the jersey (I think they had it in place of a front number, right?) and shrink the cap logo a little bit.

The MB only appeared on the front on the original version of the navy alt jerseys. Once they tweaked, all three jerseys had front numbers.

And for me, once they switched to the "M" on the cap, it was perfectly sized.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The MB only appeared on the front on the original version of the navy alt jerseys. Once they tweaked, all three jerseys had front numbers.

And for me, once they switched to the "M" on the cap, it was perfectly sized.

I actually didn't like the "M" cap. Even though it was difficult to read, I really dug the "MB". Thought it was more distinct.

I had two problems with the "MB" - 1) I don't like using nickname initials on caps at all, and 2) you're right - it was illegible at any distance greater than about six inches. The single Germanic "M" had neither of those problems, and was distinctive, classy and iconic all at the same time.

The green made sense from 1994-1995, when it was incorporated into the uniforms as a main color. But as an accent color alone in 1996-99, it was pretty pointless. Yet another outline to obscure the numbers and letters.

I was also not a huge fan of the bookended wordmarks in the 1994 set - once they gave the first and last letters the same vertical arching, I thought the number font was perfect.

Gothamite sure does love him some BBM.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Guilty as charged. I love mascot logos, and this one in particular.

I used to take my BBM pennant to wave at County Stadium during the BnG days, but then I've always preferred 1940s design to that of the 1970s. Even in the 1970s. :D

I had two problems with the "MB" - 1) I don't like using nickname initials on caps at all, and 2) you're right - it was illegible at any distance greater than about six inches. The single Germanic "M" had neither of those problems, and was distinctive, classy and iconic all at the same time.

The green made sense from 1994-1995, when it was incorporated into the uniforms as a main color. But as an accent color alone in 1996-99, it was pretty pointless. Yet another outline to obscure the numbers and letters.

I was also not a huge fan of the bookended wordmarks in the 1994 set - once they gave the first and last letters the same vertical arching, I thought the number font was perfect.

Usually me too, but I make an exception in this case because

1. they were just coming off of a set that used the nickname initial in the cap logo, so it was kinda carrying on a tradition, and

2. I thought it just looked cool.

Other instances of nickname initial that I can immediately think of (Diamondbacks D, Indians I (alt)) totally and completely suck. The A's get a pass. I'm assuming that the Phillies and Pirates caps both rep the city.

I'll add a third to that. A friend of mine in high school had an "MB" cap. I remember his sister taking a look at it and saying, "BM? Bowel movements? What kind of team is that?"

It was a great font.

The 1996-1999 Brewer uniform set was the best the club has ever seen, hands down. I would have made two minor modifications - add BBM to the sleeve and remove the (by this time pointless) green, and presto - sheer perfection.

Those were outstanding uniforms. I liked the green. Once they got the "M" cap, they were among the best in baseball. And they're forgotten in comparison with all other Brewer uniforms. Probably due in part to the lack of success.

And I am blown away by the popularity of Beer Barrel Man.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

And I am blown away by the popularity of Beer Barrel Man.

Me, too.

I always thought I was the only one.

Nah. Even those of us with the good sense and civilized taste to recognize the ball-in-glove loco and the cartoon Oriole for the generic, dated bushleaguery that they are bow before the transcendent aesthetic greatness of Beer Barrel Man.

I think that a slightly modernized BBM (see Gotham's fantastic concepts on this from a while back) would make an excellent primary logo for the Brewers. Slap the "Brewers" script across the belly of said slightly modernized BBM and you'd have a primary logo that's on a par with the Dodgers. And might even kill off the misguided nostalgia for the ball-in-glove. B)

20082614447.png

Archived