New York City enters USL 1 w/ FC New York

Viola73

USL 1 will expand to New York City in 2010:

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/317726.html

Discription of crest:

The FC New York shield is representative of the Queens flag, which was adopted June 3, 1913. The blue background with a horizontal white stripe is symbolic of its first Dutch governor William Kielt, who acquired the area from the Native Americans. The area's first settlers are represented by the two flowers - the tulip, emblematic of the Dutch, and the double red and white rose of the English. The Queen's crown signifies the name of the county and borough in honor of Queen Catherine of Braganza

That description sounds about ten times better than the actual product. Clipart, indeed.

I never thought I would long for some Phoenix, but still...

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I've had an idea in my head since yesterday, just haven't had time to mess with it.

(And, what, no love? http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=65982 )

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

how many times must it be said? microsoft word + photoshop are NOT appropriate logo creation tools! bah! extra negative lame-o points for the copperplate party foul.

What are some appropriate logo creation tools? Seeing all of y'all create such nice logos make me want to really consider getting into it as a hobby. I'd love to actually start drawing some logos (if only just to satisfy some pent up creative juices) instead of just looking at them.

That description sounds about ten times better than the actual product.

Sure does.

If those are the elements they want, I would have gone with something like this.

3407579930_3bc96a6106_o.gif

Kinda rough, but you get the idea.

Personally, I wouldn't go quite so Queens-heavy, especially since they don't play in Queens and don't claim to represent Queens more than any other borough. But I like the crown.

So the crest is based on the Queens flag, but they play in Nassau County? And their logo is displayed on that page over the Lower Manhattan skyline?

:wacko:

I hope the crest means that this "privately-financed future stadium" will be in Queens, maybe at the proposed sites next to CitiField or in Aqueduct Racetrack. Queens would be the perfect place for a professional soccer team.

That description sounds about ten times better than the actual product.

Sure does.

If those are the elements they want, I would have gone with something like this.

3407579930_3bc96a6106_o.gif

Kinda rough, but you get the idea.

Personally, I wouldn't go quite so Queens-heavy, especially since they don't play in Queens and don't claim to represent Queens more than any other borough. But I like the crown.

Not that you asked for C&C, but that's a really good start. Just a thought, if you plan to work any further with it, have you considered losing the banner? It might look better underneath the crest, like Everton/Middlesborough, et al. You could make the flowers the focal point by switching their position with the soccer ball.

Again, you didn't ask for it, but I hope you don't mind a few thoughts.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Don't mind feedback at all.

It was something I just threw together in about a half-hour (and I still like it better than the official one).

I thought the banner across the shield gave it a more "American" feel. And frankly, I was trying to downplay the rose and tulip - using so many Queens symbols just seems goofy to me.

I'd keep the crown but lose the flowers, if I was going to take a serious crack at it.

I like that crown-shield combi, however I think the soccer ball could be altered to a less generic one and move the banner, above or under the logo.

still these are way better than the one they came up with.

I'd love to see such a shield logo with the liberty statue and skyline in it (even tough it's likely many other NY based team use(d) parts of it in their logos)

FC New York? Lame!!!!!!!

Why not name the team after one of the distinguishing characteristics of the city?

Big Apple FC

Times Square FC

Central Park FC

Flatbush FC (if in Brooklyn)

Morningside Heights FC (if at Wien Stadium)

Boogie Down FC (if in the Bronx)

Battery Park FC

Bagel And A Schmear FC

Fuhgetaboutit FC

Statue of Liberty FC

Hell's Kitchen FC

Insomnia FC (because it's the city that never sleeps)

Oh, and while the team is proud to bring "professional soccer back to New York," the team is playing in ... Hempstead, Long Island.

That's a bit further from the city than Harrison, N.J., isn't it? (help me with the geography, please!)

Not from the city limits - Harrison is in the next county over from Queens, a couple miles from the border tops. Harrison is about eight miles west of the Hudson.

And totc, you forgot one. Put the team in my neighborhood and you can have Chelsea FC. :D

Point taken. But isn't Chelsea's USA presence in Virginia Beach?

Archived