Opening-day Twins uniforms

winghaz

What, you expect my arguments against uniforms I don't like and my arguments for uniforms I do like not to contradict each other? Pfah! Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, as Emmerson said, and to which I agree, unless my own argument happens to be the more consistent one, in which case consistency is what makes an argument beautiful. :P

Emerson said a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. I think that is an important distinction. :D

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read on the Star Tribune website back when the 1982 throwbacks were revealed that the Twins were looking to do another throwback for the 2010 season, which would be their 50th in Minnesota. Point is the article seem to indicate it would be an earlier throwback like this:

AADQ026~Harmon-Killebrew-Photofile-Posters.jpg

Current uniforms: Two world championships.

Early '80s retro uniforms: A couple of the worst teams in the history of baseball.

The choice seems clear to me.

To me, a team's success or lack of success isn't determined by what they wear. I also think that what a team wears shouldn't be determined by whatever look they have been most successful in.

With respect to the Twins, I think the choice is clear. Their current uniforms are better because they are aesthetically superior, not because the team has had more success with them.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Current uniforms: Two world championships.

Early '80s retro uniforms: A couple of the worst teams in the history of baseball.

The choice seems clear to me.

Not that I nesessarily think that old Twins uni is better than the new one, but...

Are you suggesting that a team should choose a less asthetically appealing uni over a more appealing one because they have more wins in them? Because I think there's some on this board who'll argue that point.

68a01c06-369d-4543-a8dc-54df7badd2df.jpg

I really like what they've done with this, inaccuracies and all. I think the Twins would do well to adopt this full time next year---only keep the hat blue. The old script is a welcomed sight. That computerized font they sport now leaves me cold.

I can hear Ballwonk now. We've had this discussion before, :)

I really like what they've done with this, inaccuracies and all. I think the Twins would do well to adopt this full time next year---only keep the hat blue. The old script is a welcomed sight. That computerized font they sport now leaves me cold.

I can hear Ballwonk now. We've had this discussion before, :)

Hey, to each one's own. I would just object to the description of the "computerized font." That script was designed in 1986, so it was almost certainly done without the aid of anything a designer in 2009 would recognize as a computer. Good computers back then had 256 bytes of RAM. You may not like the beautiful script the Twins wear, and that's cool, but don't blame computers. That script is, by definition, not a "computerized font" any more than the old script you prefer. :D

20082614447.png

I think what I don't like about the Twins look is the paleness of the pinstripes. Somehow they don;'t have the look of the Yankees pinstripes for instance. I think the crisp white jersey is a much better look IMO. The red hat I can take or leave, doesn't ruin the look for me, but doesn't add to it either.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It's been mentioned in this thread a couple of times, but the Twins jerseys are supposed to be the same jerseys they wore for their first season in the Metrodome, but the 1982 jerseys were pullovers. These are button down jerseys like they wore in 1972. I don't understand why they are trying to replicate the 1982 jerseys and then go out of their way to blow off the fact that jersey was a completely different style of shirt.

I don't think they should not wear the jerseys because the old teams were bad. The point of wearing the retro jerseys is what year they were originally worn, not honoring the results of the club that wore them. They are not commemorating the 1982 Twins, they are commemorating the final season in the Metrodome.

STL Fanatic, your dislike of the quality of the script is well documented, but it is what it was, so that's what it is.

The powder blue jerseys were road jerseys, so there's no point in wearing road jerseys to commemorate your home stadium. Makes no sense.

I was also told by someone who works for the team that they would not be wearing the Metrodome patch on the throwbacks, which I thought was odd because they are wearing the jerseys because it's the final season at the dome, but then on opening day, there the patches are right there on the sleeves, along with the Carl patch, which I still think should be in a more "heavenly" position floating above the Metrodome than buried under it. That is going to bug me all year long. <_<

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

This jersey, coupled with the current "script" would be perfect for the new stadium next season.

Down with pinstripes!

This I don't get. If one doesn't like pinstripes in general, then great, but I don't actually hear much carping about how the Yankees and the Cubs should ditch pinstripes...

If I was the King of Baseball, there would be no pinstriped uniforms...at least for any team that entered the league after 1910, and certainly NO road pinstripes, ever. (Then again, if I was the King of Baseball, there would also be significant sharing of local revenues, so there you go.) So in my case, yes, this is the specific application of a general loathing of pinstripes.

I am stunned at the love for the red twins cap.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I agree. Aesthetically, the navy cap works much better with all sets. The red cap on its own doesn't look bad. It just doesn't fit the uniforms, with the exception of the '82 quasi-throwbacks.

Saintsfan: Your point about the pinstripes is interesting, and I wonder how much it has to do with the Twins playing under klieg lights at the Metrodome. I've always thought their white jerseys seem much brighter than teams playing in outdoor stadiums, and as a result the pinstripes appear more understated. I think the pinstripes on the gray away jerseys are slightly more noticable by comparison.

I can't seem to recall, are the Twins the only team to wear pinstriped road uniforms? I remember the Diamondbacks used to back in the purple-and-teal days.

I agree. Aesthetically, the navy cap works much better with all sets. The red cap on its own doesn't look bad. It just doesn't fit the uniforms, with the exception of the '82 quasi-throwbacks.

Saintsfan: Your point about the pinstripes is interesting, and I wonder how much it has to do with the Twins playing under klieg lights at the Metrodome. I've always thought their white jerseys seem much brighter than teams playing in outdoor stadiums, and as a result the pinstripes appear more understated. I think the pinstripes on the gray away jerseys are slightly more noticable by comparison.

I can't seem to recall, are the Twins the only team to wear pinstriped road uniforms? I remember the Diamondbacks used to back in the purple-and-teal days.

The Pirates did too, prior to the PNC Park changeup. Didn't make any sense, because their home didn't have the pinstripes.

EDIT: Also, the Cubs used to have a powder blue road uniform with white pinstripes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Pirates did too, prior to the PNC Park changeup. Didn't make any sense, because their home didn't have the pinstripes.

EDIT: Also, the Cubs used to have a powder blue road uniform with white pinstripes.

The Rockies have pinstripe roads now. They don't seem to wear them much because they like the black vests, but they do wear them.

The Reds had those pinstripe roads in the 1990's.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Rockies have pinstripe roads now. They don't seem to wear them much because they like the black vests, but they do wear them.

The Reds had those pinstripe roads in the 1990's.

Ah, the Rockies, that's the one I was thinking of. You're right, they wear those vests so often that it's hard to notice the pinstripes.

Really? That's odd. To me, the red is so obviously a better cap... and more importantly, its more uniquely THEIR cap. How many navy blue caps does MLB need? The red w/ blue bill is a one-of-a-kind.

And, I think it DOES go better with the uniform... even the current one. I'm never that big of a fan of having numbering/lettering that's a different color than all other colored parts of a baseball uni. In traditional baseball uniforms you have four areas of color placement... cap, lettering/numbering, sleeves, and sox. In general, I'd go with all four the same color, or a 2 X 2 color split. 3 to 1 looks off to me.

Archived