CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

Seeing the 1928 Grey Cup ring (above) surprised me, I would not have thought they would have given out Grey Cup rings that far back. I looked back through this thread, and the only one that is older was a 1927 New York Yankees ring (sadly the picture no long posts. I should also note that a 1932 Yankees ring was mislabeled as 1923). This got me thinking, when were championship rings first given out? What is the oldest Championship ring out there?

tigercatssignature-1.png

Seeing the 1928 Grey Cup ring (above) surprised me, I would not have thought they would have given out Grey Cup rings that far back. I looked back through this thread, and the only one that is older was a 1927 New York Yankees ring (sadly the picture no long posts. I should also note that a 1932 Yankees ring was mislabeled as 1923). This got me thinking, when were championship rings first given out? What is the oldest Championship ring out there?

The oldest one I know of is the 1922 New York Giants:

Item_9048_1.jpg

Item_9048_3.jpgItem_9048_2.jpg

Partial of a sketch of Auburn's National Championship ring.

917000.jpg

Is that definitely the ring or just one of many designs they maybe considering? I ask because, as someone has already pointed out, it looks a lot like the Patriots SB ring, and because teams usually get bids from various jewelers. In any case, I think that ring design looks too...I don't know...feminine I guess? Despite the fact that it's shaped like a football, it just doesn't look like a football ring to me.

BB52Big.jpg

The oldest one I know of is the 1922 New York Giants:

Item_9048_1.jpg

Item_9048_3.jpgItem_9048_2.jpg

I've heard that someone found a 1914 World Series ring. I'll see if I can find the article.

ALSO CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE NEW PACKERS RING :shocked:

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

Wisconsin semi-pro football team..pretty nice for semi-pro!

20100503_ring.jpg

If you don't mind it being made out of a metal called Lasium and using CZ for the diamonds, you can get a ring like that for around 400-600 bucks. There are a bunch of places that have the templates already made. You just add your team name, year, league etc. Custom designed with your logo etc. they run about 600-800 bucks. Less if you buy more than 12.

BB52Big.jpg

Is that where the fantasy football people get theirs?

I'll wait for my Packers ring.

There's a 1965 championship ring for sale on ebay right now

Out of my price range, I'm afraid.

I meant I'd wait for my Super Bowl ring. All owners can get one. And I won't loan mine to Putin. :P

Jackpot! That's what I was looking for, especially the accompanying article...

It might also be the case that rings were offered to the players, but only at their expense, and most passed (remember, most owners were extremely tight with a buck in those days). Or, it might be that players were given a choice of a ring and another type of gift, and few chose the ring. That, too, was a common occurrence in the first half of the twentieth century.

It's impossible to say, but it's obvious that players had begun associating championships with rings on some level by this time.

So it would seem that at that time it was an option for purchase, much like graduation rings today, which means there might be even older rings out there. It also explains why the practice seemed to have spread so quickly to other leagues and other sports. Now I'm curious about what is the oldest Grey Cup ring (which might in fact be 1928) or the oldest Stanley Cup ring?

tigercatssignature-1.png