CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

I like the continuity between this ring and the others (much like the Raiders have done).

It's the ring of CHEATERS, what did you expect.

Please save that for a different thread. Let's just talk rings here.

Ok, the Patriots should have spent as much time on the design of the ring as they spent figuring out how to CHEAT all these years. How's that???

New Details Emerge on the Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Ring

As pictures of the latest championship ring are released on twitter, new details are discovered.

sb49z3.jpg

Player rings have a very unusual feature; and I believe this is the first time this personalization feature has been used in any championship ring I have ever seen: The Player's uniform number, shown on the side of the ring (called the ring shank), contains real diamonds outlined in their jersey number.

That means that each super bowl ring varies in the number of diamonds. A player with the number "88" would contain 12 diamonds in each "8" for a total of 24 diamonds; while the player who wears #11, would contain a total of 8 diamonds.

(Click the photo below to enlarge the picture)

sb49z5.jpg

Additional personalization is found inside the ring, (see above) where it looks like the recipient's signature is shown below the words, "We Are All Patriots". It's possible, Kraft coined this phrase and therefore his signature is in every ring, but my gut feeling is that each championship ring is personalized with the owner's signature.

sb49z4.jpg

The final detail to emerge yesterday was the Patriots and Jostens's choice in choosing the wooden presentation box. The Super Bowl XLIX ring will be housed in Jostens's standard glass and wood presentation box with led lighting. This is the same box that was used with the Packers 2010 Super Bowl XLV ring. The last time Jostens made a super bowl ring, the Ravens 2012 championship ring, Jostens used a completely different box.

New Details Emerge on the Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Ring

As pictures of the latest championship ring are released on twitter, new details are discovered.

sb49z3.jpg

Player rings have a very unusual feature; and I believe this is the first time this personalization feature has been used in any championship ring I have ever seen: The Player's uniform number, shown on the side of the ring (called the ring shank), contains real diamonds outlined in their jersey number.

That means that each super bowl ring varies in the number of diamonds. A player with the number "88" would contain 12 diamonds in each "8" for a total of 24 diamonds; while the player who wears #11, would contain a total of 8 diamonds.

(Click the photo below to enlarge the picture)

sb49z5.jpg

Additional personalization is found inside the ring, (see above) where it looks like the recipient's signature is shown below the words, "We Are All Patriots". It's possible, Kraft coined this phrase and therefore his signature is in every ring, but my gut feeling is that each championship ring is personalized with the owner's signature.

sb49z4.jpg

The final detail to emerge yesterday was the Patriots and Jostens's choice in choosing the wooden presentation box. The Super Bowl XLIX ring will be housed in Jostens's standard glass and wood presentation box with led lighting. This is the same box that was used with the Packers 2010 Super Bowl XLV ring. The last time Jostens made a super bowl ring, the Ravens 2012 championship ring, Jostens used a completely different

Comparing to Patriots Super Bowl XLIX Ring to their Other Championship Rings

Here are the four New England Patriot Super Bowl rings, shown together courtesy of Jostens, who designed and manufactured each one:

sb49z6.jpg

It’s maddening for Championship ring collectors to assemble the important facts about new championship rings. The team and manufacturer release few details such as gold composition (ie 10K, vs. 14K vs. platinum), weight size, total diamond weight, and details about the selected presentation box.

When details are announced or discovered, there’s always omissions of important facts. Examples include if the staff received the same ring players did, and if not, how they differ in size, features, and other details such as a less costly gold-mix and less diamonds. Expanding on the issue of multiple versions, if there’s “B” versions, “C” versions and sometimes “D” versions, each lower tier ring version contains a multitude of less precious metals and diamonds. If so, how much is the drop-off?

Jostens did announce the total carat weight this week. The Super bowl ring consists of 205 diamonds, totaling 4.85 carrots. You can read my earlier blog entries from earlier this week to learn other details I have uncovered about this ring.

What we still don’t know is if the ring is made of 10K, 14K or 18K gold, or dare I say platinum? We also don’t know the weight of the ring.

Without these two facts, it’s not possible to know if this ring is the biggest Super Bowl ring ever.

After photographing a couple of hundred championship rings, I know first hand that the camera can play tricks on you. In the photo above, because the Super Bowl XLIX ring is closer to the camera than the others, that will make the ring appear even larger than it is. So, we can’t deduce from the photograph how much bigger the ring is than the previous largest Patriot Super Bowl ring, the iconic Super Bowl XXIX ring; shown to the immediate right of the latest ring.

Perhaps a better clue as to the size of the latest super bowl ring can be seen below: The latest championship ring dwarfs the 57 gram, 14K solid yellow gold Saints Super Bowl XLIV ring made by tiffany.

sb49z2.jpg

One thing we do know about the new Patriots Super Bowl ring is the team’s commitment and desire to keep the same championship ring theme in all their rings. Like the Raiders championship rings from the 60s-90s, the Patriots features have been seen on all their championship rings.

They Include:

• White Gold (no yellow gold championship rings). Probably because it’s a better match of their team colors.
  • Their Patriot logo is prominently centered in each championship ring and the iconic logo provides a nice and much-needed color against the all white ring tops.
  • Ring tops that are packed with white diamonds.
  • Lombardi Trophies with large marquise diamonds featured at the top of the trophy.
  • Each championship ring celebrates the total number of team Super Bowl victories with the proper amount of corresponding Lombardi trophies.

Comparing to Patriots Super Bowl XLIX Ring to their Other Championship Rings

Here are the four New England Patriot Super Bowl rings, shown together courtesy of Jostens, who designed and manufactured each one:

sb49z6.jpg

It’s maddening for Championship ring collectors to assemble the important facts about new championship rings. The team and manufacturer release few details such as gold composition (ie 10K, vs. 14K vs. platinum), weight size, total diamond weight, and details about the selected presentation box.

When details are announced or discovered, there’s always omissions of important facts. Examples include if the staff received the same ring players did, and if not, how they differ in size, features, and other details such as a less costly gold-mix and less diamonds. Expanding on the issue of multiple versions, if there’s “B” versions, “C” versions and sometimes “D” versions, each lower tier ring version contains a multitude of less precious metals and diamonds. If so, how much is the drop-off?

Jostens did announce the total carat weight this week. The Super bowl ring consists of 205 diamonds, totaling 4.85 carrots. You can read my earlier blog entries from earlier this week to learn other details I have uncovered about this ring.

What we still don’t know is if the ring is made of 10K, 14K or 18K gold, or dare I say platinum? We also don’t know the weight of the ring.

The ring shown in Jostens' 360 degree video clearly has a 10K stamp inside.

18866756626_99a1187864_z.jpg

Mike I am posting your pictures to show the size of Pats new ring.

The 2004 appears to be the same size of Steelers and Ravens ring, so the new ring looks both taller and wider.

I think the reason Jostens did not list the weight is that just like Ravens rings they are using different grams of gold for different ring size. The Ravens rings which came up for sale are listed as 80-82 grams for size 10-10.5 and size 15-15.5 rings are 92-94 grams.

I think just like carats of diamonds are now different on each Pats rings so are the grams.

At the very minimum size 10 rings should be about 105-110 grams and size 15 most likely upwards of 125 grams.

I cant wait till you get one of these rings Mike and post all the details.

Espn reported Kraft paid 5.47M for 150 rings, avg ring cost of $36,000.00, most expensive SB rings so far.

I cant imagine Jostens made any money on those, for 4.7 carats of diamonds and 100+ grams of 10 K gold, 36K is very reasonable.

11401348_10206722947455154_8146387320571

Mike I am posting your pictures to show the size of Pats new ring.

The 2004 appears to be the same size of Steelers and Ravens ring, so the new ring looks both taller and wider.

I think the reason Jostens did not list the weight is that just like Ravens rings they are using different grams of gold for different ring size. The Ravens rings which came up for sale are listed as 80-82 grams for size 10-10.5 and size 15-15.5 rings are 92-94 grams.

I think just like carats of diamonds are now different on each Pats rings so are the grams.

At the very minimum size 10 rings should be about 105-110 grams and size 15 most likely upwards of 125 grams.

I cant wait till you get one of these rings Mike and post all the details.

Espn reported Kraft paid 5.47M for 150 rings, avg ring cost of $36,000.00, most expensive SB rings so far.

I cant imagine Jostens made any money on those, for 4.7 carats of diamonds and 100+ grams of 10 K gold, 36K is very reasonable.

11401348_10206722947455154_8146387320571

Dralec,

Great post and great pictures!

First off I'd like to clear up a couple of things.

The Ravens rings are much closer to be a standard size then you think....

Goldin auctions did make an error in their auction when they claimed a ring was 80 grams. When they reweighed it, it turned out to be about 90 grams.

I know that they have a size 10 front office ring coming up for auction soon and that ring weights 86.5 grams. It has probably been cleaned and polished so probably stared like around 88-90 grams (polishing can take off 1-4 grams, depending upon the amount needed to get out scratches).

The way they make championship rings is as follows: the tops are done in one production part, and they are all the same size. And by the way, diamonds weigh virtually nothing, especially the tiny ones on the sides of rings. If I buy a championship ring that is missing a tiny diamond, the jeweler charges me practically nothing to replace it. Maybe $20 and most of that is labor to reset the small diamond into the tiny prongs.

Next, the ring manufacturer starts out with a set amount of gold. It does not matter if the ring is a size 9, or size 15. They stretch the gold at the bottom of the ring (after the shanks) to accommodate ring sizes. That's why, much to my amazement, super bowl rings that are size 10, generally weigh as much as rings that are size 15.

Now here where things change: Say a size 13 player retires and puts on weight. He has his local Jeweler or Jostens resize the ring as his fingers get fatter. They tend to add gold since it's too difficult to stretch a ring that has already been made. Sometimes, that way you see rings that get heavier as time goes on.

Also, if a ring is polished a few times, or wares down, they can get lighter. However, they leave the factory at pretty much the same weight.

These pictures are great, and really show how much bigger and wider the rings are.

Please remember that 10K gold is about 10% lighter than 14K gold. So if the super bowl 39 ring weighs 104 grams, it would weigh around 90 grams had it been made in 10K.

Also, looking at my notes, the Super Bowl 39 ring, made in 14K, contained 4.94 Karats in diamonds.

I believe this is the new seahawks ring and I can tell by the box, it was made by Tiffany and company.

it is remarkably similar to the high-end fan rings from their super bowl victory...

I will research this and write about this on my blog tomorrow morning,

seah14.jpg

That's Really Disappointing, To Be Honest I think It's ugly

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

Very ugly, it looks like a counterfeit ring

The shank, with the jersey number looks like an awful design and they could have done so much better.

I believe it looks like "replica" quality because of the gleam and the poor picture quality. The ring probably looks much nicer in person or with a properly focused picture.

The top of the ring is actually a nice match and complementary of their winning ring from the season before. Unlike some recent combinations of a winning and losing Super Bowl ring, these two could be worn at the same time.

I believe this is the new seahawks ring and I can tell by the box, it was made by Tiffany and company.

it is remarkably similar to the high-end fan rings from their super bowl victory...

I will research this and write about this on my blog tomorrow morning,

seah14.jpg

Looks a bit undersized compared to what usually passes now for a NFL ring. In my opinion the face of the ring looks kinda cheap. Another sub-par performance by Tiffany.

I realize that many of us (and I am totally included in this) love to compare ring sizes when discussing the design of championship rings.

A recent photo on twitter reminded me what a challenge this is: Here's the photo that got me thinking.....

comp67.jpg

The two championship rings look to be relatively around the same size.

The ring on the left, the Patriots Super Bowl XLIX ring, is more then twice the size of the ring on the right – the Cowboys 1971 Super Bowl VI ring.

The total weight of a ring, is not always an accurate determination of how large a ring is. There are a few reasons for this:

* 14K solid gold weighs approximately 10% more than 10k solid gold.

* 18K gold weighs even more than 14K and Platinum championship rings, such as The Packers Super Bowl XLV ring, weigh even more than 18K gold.

* Non gold rings weigh less than 10K gold and because they are made of inexpensive metals, can easily get as large as any super bowl ring and often do.

The photo above is a perfect example of how cutting and pasting championship rings together can be misleading; as the Cowboys Super Bowl ring above looks bigger than the Patriots ring.

As someone who has taken a lof of pictures of championship rings, the camera does lie! Slight changes in depth can make rings appear to change size quite a bit due to the lack of depth in photographs. Maybe in the future, 3d pictures will help solve this issue.

A third issue with comparing championship ring sizes is that the manufacturer can hollow-out rings to make them appear bigger. Here are some examples:

The Ravens Super Bowl XLVII ring from 2012 is a huge, magnificent ring. Physically, it’s one of the largest super bowl rings ever, yet, because of it’s 10K gold content, and perhaps because it was hollowed out, it weighs only 88 grams.

The Giants Super Bowl XLVI ring from 2011 is physically a lot smaller than the Ravens ring, yet, being made of 14K gold, and perhaps more solid, tips the scales at around 92 grams.

The only way to really know the differences between ring sizes is to carefully take photographs and make sure the rings are the same distance from the camera lens.

Here’s a great example where you can really compare the size of the Patriots ring to a recent Super Bowl ring – the Saints Super Bowl XLIV ring from 2009:

sb49z2.jpg

I want to wish everyone a Happy 4th of July, and also to talk a little about the Patriots design of their 4 championship rings with a special tie in for July 4th.

pats28.jpg

Because today's a special and patriotic day, here's a photo (that ties in with American Independence) that shows the Patriots four Super Bowl rings and offers the best view to date of their relative sizes:
While I'm no fan of the Patriots (in fact I am a huge fan of one of their division rivals), I do love Super Bowl rings and I have to admit, these four championship rings are stunning.
Yes, it kills me how the team has been caught cheating during two of their championship years, not to mention the controversial "tuck rule" that helped the team win their first Super Bowl ring.
Anyway, this is a great photograph that shows the rings together and displays how Kraft and his organization has done a great job in designing the run of championship rings in a similar theme.
I love that each ring is smothered in diamonds, and with all the white color of the gold and diamonds, the black antiquing between the lettering, combined with a red and blue Patriot icon, help make the championship rings stand out.
The newest Patriots Super Bowl ring, shown on the far left is so much bigger than the other rings and is easily the largest super bowl ring ever created.   Probably because of it's huge production cost, the Patriots had this ring, unlike the first three Super Bowl rings, cast in 10K gold, not 14K gold.
I hope everyone enjoys their 4th of July, and I guess for one day a year, we can all be Patriots (yuck, did I say that? I love America but not the New England Patriots football team).