CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

11 hours ago, UHCollector said:

Congrats on the pickup. 

I prefer simpler designs so I like the face but those shanks are terrible. I couldn't name all of the Tiffany championship rings off of the top of my head (except for maybe Seattle) but they always seem to be a disappointment when they get posted. Does Tiffany handle the box design as well? Because oddly enough I think I like that one more than the frosted glass topped boxes. 

Here's what I know about box designs.  The images and designs found on the boxes are done by the ring manufacturers in house.  I know Jostens has subcontracted out their box making for years.  I imagine Tiffany does as well, since both companies do much more jewelry without wood presentation boxes than they do with wood presentation boxes.

A few years back, Jostens was using a company in China who either went out of business or disapeared or could no longer make the boxes and Jostens switched suppliers.

In comparing Tiffany boxes (which appear to usually be the same format and size for each of their championshpi rings), to the glass box, I believe the glass boxes offer to major advantages: 

1)  The recipient can display is ring while protecting it in the glass see-through box[

2)  The boxes light up for an added display feature.

Championship Ring Brothers From Different Mothers!

While these two NFC championship rings were designed by different ring makers, and are 12 years apart, it's uncanny how similar the styles are.

Twelve years is a long time in the modern design and evolution of championship rings.  Go back over the last twenty five years or so, and look at a 12 year gap and you will typically see the newer championship ring dwarf the earlier one in size and bling.

When comparing these two rings, I've always marveled at how similar these two championship rings seem.  It's like they are some-how related.

Both rings are NFC championship rings - awarded to the team that looses the Super Bowl, yet won their conference championship.  Both championship rings spend a lot of real estate on the top of the ring showing off the team's colors by using an oval shaped onyx stone.

The ring on the lower left is the Giants 2000 NFC championship ring.  It was designed and made by Jostens in 14K solid yellow gold.  It weighs in at 45 grams.  If you look at a few years before and after this NFC championship ring was designed and manufactured, you will see that it has an usual style and design, not like other conference championship rings made during this time period.

Forward to the championship ring on the lower right.  The NFC 2012 championship ring, awarded the 49ers, is also unlike other NFC and AFC championship rings from it's time period.  This ring, weighs in at 55 grams and is made of 14 solid white gold.  The ring was designed and manufactured by Tiffany.

The Tiffany ring, in my opinion, should have been made in yellow gold, not white gold, since the 49er's official team colors are yellow and red.

In a day or two, I'll show the 2012 NFC championship ring surrounded by other conference championship rings of the same time period.  This will better illustrate how different the design of the 49ers championship ring is, and remind us how similar it is to the Giants championship ring.

brothers.jpg

The Designs of Recent NFL Conference Championship Rings

Recently I showed how the 49ers and Giants last NFC Conference championship rings, although 12 years apart, are quite similar in design.  Now here are examples of how different the designs have become for conference championship rings in recent years:  (see photo below)

About 10 to 13 years ago (2003-2008, not including 2006) conference championship rings by Jostens were basically the same design. 

Lately the trend has been for the championship ring manufacturers to design a completely new conference championship ring each year.  However, we might be heading back to the old days, as the newest conference championship ring, belonging to the 2015 Panthers is remarkably similar to the Denver Broncos 2013 championship ring shown below.

The championship rings from left to right are:  2009 Colts championship ring, made by Herff Jones, 2011 Patriots ring made by Herff Jones and Masters of Design, 2012 NFC championship ring made by Tiffany and Company, the 2014 Broncos ring made by Jostens and the Seahawks 2015 NFC championship ring made by Tiffany and Company.

If you're wondering about the 2010 Steelers AFC championship ring, it does not exist.  The team broke tradition and went with a blinged-out watch.

My favorite championship ring of the ones shown above is the Pats ring - which has as much bling as many Super Bowl rings and my least favorite is the Seahawks championship ring which has lots of dots and bumps on the face but very few diamonds.

Any thoughts or comments about these designs?

conf1.jpg

If you're wondering about the 2010 Steelers AFC championship ring, it does not exist.  The team broke tradition and went with a blinged-out watch.

Had to look this one up...

A watch is not a bad idea actually, as Super Bowl losers will never wear the conference rings they receive. On the other hand, I can see the watch getting much more use.

2011pittsburghsteelersafcwatch1.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

High School Championship Ring Design vs. Tiffany NFL Championship Ring Design:

Tom III nailed the sentiment towards the 2012 Tiffany NFC Championship ring design, made for the 49ers with his Twitter post shown below.

He's 100% correct - his High School ring is a better design than what Tiffany designed and created for a professional football team!

Notice Tom's High School championship ring design shows his football position on both sides of the ring, and tells a better story than the Tiffany championship ring.

And while the 49ers managed to put the year on their championship ring, keep in mind Tom's championship ring also has the year, however, his year is on the ring top, not on the side.

Tom's team went undefeated and their record is on the ring and his last name and number are crafted so much nicer than the way the last name and uniform number were displayed on the 49ers championship ring.  No positions were placed on the 49er ring.

I wish I could show you the name on the 49ers championship ring so you could see the poor engraving,  but, I need to honor the seller's privacy.

The black antique technique used on Tom's rings, help the images pop-out, while the 49ers ring, with harsh reflections from room or outdoor lighting add to the Tiffany design failure.

tom31.jpg

tom32.jpg

15 hours ago, ravens12 said:

If you are going to the National Sports Convention in Atlantic City looking to buy real championship rings be careful of unscrupulous dealers.

Be careful of everything. Depending on who you believe, 60-80% of the memorabilia at the National is fake. Especially when it comes to signed stuff. The National is a great place to pick up fun sports tchotchkes like pennants, unsigned mini and replica helmets, etc. But unless you see player sign the item, it's probably best to stay away from anything signed. 

BB52Big.jpg

On 7/30/2016 at 7:59 AM, infrared41 said:

Be careful of everything. Depending on who you believe, 60-80% of the memorabilia at the National is fake. Especially when it comes to signed stuff. The National is a great place to pick up fun sports tchotchkes like pennants, unsigned mini and replica helmets, etc. But unless you see player sign the item, it's probably best to stay away from anything signed. 

Pssh, tell that to my Maurice Richard autographed and game used one piece composite stick, limited edition 1 of 1,000,000!

• Like 1

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Is Jostens Back to Designing NFL Same-Mold-Every-Year Championship Rings Again?

Tom III hit the nail on the head again recently.

Tom and I are both are alluding to the similar run Jostens did in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2008. (see picture below)

During this six season stretch, Jostens designed and manufactured four NFC conference championship rings and one AFC conference championship ring with almost identical tops.

Sorry it’s not shown to scale, but note that during this time, only the Bears massive and unique 2006 NFC conference championship ring was a different design (also made by Jostens).

Who knows if Jostens would have designed the 2014 NFC championship ring in a similar fashion like the two championship rings shown below.  They were not given a chance, as the Seahawks went with Tiffany and company who made a very bland championship ring.

tom33.jpg

tom34.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:03 AM, sports-rings.com said:

Is Jostens Back to Designing NFL Same-Mold-Every-Year Championship Rings Again?

Tom III hit the nail on the head again recently.

Tom and I are both are alluding to the similar run Jostens did in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2008. (see picture below)

During this six season stretch, Jostens designed and manufactured four NFC conference championship rings and one AFC conference championship ring with almost identical tops.

Sorry it’s not shown to scale, but note that during this time, only the Bears massive and unique 2006 NFC conference championship ring was a different design (also made by Jostens).

Who knows if Jostens would have designed the 2014 NFC championship ring in a similar fashion like the two championship rings shown below.  They were not given a chance, as the Seahawks went with Tiffany and company who made a very bland championship ring.

tom33.jpg

tom34.jpg

I'm sure the reason Jostens does this is cost. Most teams who lose the Super Bowl aren't exactly happy about it and as someone mentioned before most players don't even wear their conference rings.

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

• 2 weeks later...

I don't pretend to be an expert but I think you may be right. One of the UH team doctors was on his way to the NFL Hall of Fame induction ceremony when the pic was taken. I wonder if the family knows that it's not the original. There have certainly been a lot of examples of family members trying to sale/auction off reproduction/replacement rings. 

The Design of Championship Rings From Super Bowl XXXVII

The ring on the left is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers first ever Super Bowl Ring from their 2002 season.   This beautiful championship ring was designed and manufactured by Tiffany and Company in solid 14K gold.

While Tiffany and Company has made some spectacular Super Bowl rings, lately, their last few, have been in my humble opinion, lacking. This particular Super Bowl ring has a wonderful top and sides and is one of the nicest Tiffany championship rings I’ve seen.

The team that loses the Super Bowl is recognized as a champion of their respective conference.   The Raiders 2002 AFC championship ring, is shown below on the right.

The Raiders ring does an outstanding job of maintaining the Raiders championship ring design format. The AFC championship ring weighs in at 46-47 grams. The ring does contains nice size marquis diamonds, each helping to represent the team’s five Super Bowl appearances. Three of the diamonds are noticeably larger, and that’s to commemorate the team’s three Super Bowl victories.

The Raiders AFC championship ring was made by Jostens in 14K solid white gold.

Another cool thing about this ring is the championship ring box. Under the Raider logo are the words “The Team Of The Decades”. This wording is a nod to the fact that the raiders appeared in Super Bowls in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and now their fourth decade.

Any thoughts or opinions on these two rings?

sb37c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...