CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

On 6/14/2018 at 10:51 PM, Championship Sports Rings said:

Here is what you all have been waiting for. The New 2017 Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl Ring. 

DfsyoddWkAAJ_Fq.jpg:large

That is one fine looking ring. Nicely done, Super Bowl Champion Eagles. 

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, King of Rings said:

I feel as though I’ve seen Brian Urlacher wearing his NFC champions ring during interviews. Some players are still proud of how far they got and how close they came. If I ever got a 2nd place ring I think I’d wear it too

I remember Tony LaRussa wearing an AL Champs ring years ago on the cover of Sports Illustrated. I tried to find a picture, but I couldn't find one with a clear enough shot of the ring. Anyway, yeah, if I were an MLB player and I got a League Championship ring, I'd wear that thing every day. Sure, you lost the World Series, but you still won the pennant in your league. IMO, there is absolutely no shame in wearing an NFL Conference Champions or MLB League Champions ring. 

BB52Big.jpg

12 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I remember Tony LaRussa wearing an AL Champs ring years ago on the cover of Sports Illustrated. I tried to find a picture, but I couldn't find one with a clear enough shot of the ring.

It was his 1988 American League Champions ring.

HzS55wf.jpg

Fwgc9MC.png

vEPKi07.jpg

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

16 hours ago, infrared41 said:

This is based solely on my own experience, but I can sort of answer your question, Curt. Back in the day when I was covering AAA Baseball and College Sports, I ran across former players that ended up coaching, scouting, in the front office, etc., and quite a few of them wore their conference or league championship rings. Best I could gather, most of these people didn't start wearing the rings until after their playing careers were over. I also saw more then a few coaches who wore them too. Most of the former players were guys that were basically career Minor Leaguers that played a season or two in the bigs and managed to score a ring in the process. My point, I suppose, is that wearing a "second place" ring is not all that uncommon. 

You know, when you put it like that it really puts into perspective how big of an accomplishment it really is. Very few people in the world have the talent to even get close to one of these "second place" rings.

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 2:00 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

I like that Back to Back ring there, 1991

the lady indians have  now 3 consecutive rings in basketball and back to back in softball, but so far this is all i can find.

sms.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Which of these 10 championship rings is your favorite design?

beli444.jpg

Bill Belichick is showing off his two New York Giants Super Bowl rings, (extreme left and right), his five winning and huge Patriots Super Bowl rings, and on one finger, his three losing Patriot rings, called AFC championship rings.

His one championship ring missing from this photo is the most recent, so perhaps this photo was taken before June of this year, when Belichick was awarded a Patriots 2017 AFC championship ring; after the team lost Super Bowl LII to the Eagles in February of 2018.

Crazy championship ring collectors, at some point, will inevitably stack their fingers with multiple championship rings.  If you have ever loaded up your ten fingers, with huge, solid gold championship rings, you know how unbelievable heavy and uncomfortable it it.  There's a reason Belichick's hands are pointed down - it's called gravity!

My favorite is the latest wining Super Bowl ring (the Patriots 5th) from the 2016 season.  In the photo, it's second from the right.

On 6/19/2018 at 2:24 PM, Cujo said:

Players don't actually wear their "second place is first loser" rings in public, do they?

I honestly think it depends on the sport, but more on the person as an individual.

First, the sport... I would reckon that baseball players would be far more inclined to wear their AL/NL championship rings than would conference champions in other leagues.  The reason is a perception that the AL or NL title is a league championship in its own right, with a World Series title merely adding to its luster.  In basketball, football or hockey meanwhile, the only prize that's cherished is the ultimate, overall championship - evidenced by some hockey teams refusing to even touch the conference championship trophies they're awarded after a successful season (yeah, I know, they did this year).  Baseball players view the league championship as something special, regardless of the World Series outcome; perhaps not right away, but eventually.  Conference championship seasons are rarely if ever afforded such attribution.

Second, the person... if I had played for the Los Angeles Lakers from 1959 to 1970, I'd have eight rings to show for it - every one of them a conference championship ring, what some in sports term "a symbol of failure."  Would I wear them?  Under those conditions, I reckon I would.  But if I'd played two more years and won the NBA title on the 9th try?  I'd likely be more apt to wear solely my 1972 ring, because it would mean more to me - especially after it having taken 9 tries to earn one.  On the other hand, does a Bill Russell, Bill Belichick, Reggie Jackson or Derek Jeter value one championship ring over another?  Does he potentially value a league/conference title ring more than a championship one based on the struggle the team had to earn it in comparison?  I've won a boatload of trophies and awards in various facets of my life; to be honest, the baubles themselves are meaningless.  There is work for which I received no recognition at all that, in retrospect, I'm more proud of.  It's just an individual thing.

nav-logo.png

As a coach, my preference would be to wear the newest one, be it a Championship or league/conference championship, unless there is a message that wearing another would be best for. Six years ago, we lost a former player to a surgery gone wrong, and our head coach, who never wears his rings, wore the ring from that team for the entire season to honor him.

• 1 month later...