CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

6 hours ago, BC985 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The shanks on the 2002 Bucs ring were good for the time, and I would say are better than the 2021 ring. 

The shanks on the 2021 ring are so uninspired. Pair that with a ring face where the Bucs logo and Lombardi trophies are undersized, and the sabre handle gets lost in the trophy it’s a case of poor execution. 

That’s one thing I don’t like about the new rings with hidden stuff under a face you are never going to take off for fear of losing it. It means you are going to have less stuff to build the intricate detailed shanks like you use too. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/6/2021 at 9:07 AM, BC985 said:

Maybe the Chiefs AFC ring? Found this on Twitter. 
spacer.png

Why make these? Players will never wear these in public (because it signifies losing when it mattered), especially if you're a Chiefs player and have am actual SB ring from the year before.

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Why make these? Players will never wear these in public (because it signifies losing when it mattered), especially if you're a Chiefs player and have am actual SB ring from the year before.

I think it goes back to when the NFL and AFL were two separate leagues. The ring still signified a league championship. Same for NL/AL rings in baseball. Some traditions continue. 

1 minute ago, BC985 said:

I think it goes back to when the NFL and AFL were two separate leagues. The ring still signified a league championship. Same for NL/AL rings in baseball. Some traditions continue. 

Ah yes, the ol' participation trophy tradition.

6uXNWAo.png

11 hours ago, Cujo said:

Most of the team already having Super Bowl rings is the reason the 2010 Steelers went with an AFC Championship watch.

• 1 month later...

I am sure most of you saw that "Tom Brady Super Bowl Ring" that was sold by Goldin Auction house for $344,927 in 2018.  Most of the bidders probably had no clue that the ring wasn't the same size as Brady's real ring and thought that he ordered an extra one for a family member through the Jostens Family and Friends program that members of the winning team can order additional rings for a limited time.  I had always suspected no way this ring would have been ordered by Brady or any one in Brady's family and this week it was confirmed it as a scam and someone was able to order 3 of these Brady smaller Super Bowl rings from Jostens and somehow No One at Jostens questioned why a player on the team would order not one but 3 rings with BRADYS name on them and not his own.  So someone as Jostens is going to probbly be looking for another job this week.  The story also gets rather strange as a well known southern California championship ring dealer was involved and bought an original players ring and was offered not one but 3 additional super bowl ring with Brady's name on them and he plays dumb and claims he had no clue that the Brady rings were obtained by fraud and for some reason decides not to buy the 3 rings that this imposter claiming to be a player who somehow was able to order rings with Brady's name on it.  I find it very hard to believe he had no clue they were obtained illegal.  The interesting thing is that this imposter was able to order 3 of these ring that are very similar to Toms very own ring for just under $9000 each.  I would guess Goldins will have to refund the  $344,927 to the winner of this auction and take off their claims that they broke the record that they sold the most expensive sports ring ever as they still claim today they still own this record.   What surprises me is that the FBI took 3 years to find out and prosecute this guy for fraud.  When his super bowl Jersey was stolen from him from the Locker room  they went all out to find the guy in Mexico who had stolen it and Von Millers super bowl worn helmet that was lifted directly from the locker room via a person who had super bowl credentials.  This Goldin Super Bowl Ring when sold for $344,927 made national news its real strange that Toms reps didn't try to pull the auction as they had to know that the ring wasn't ordered by a family member and was ordered by another player or had been ordered and made from a person inside of the Jostens plant.  I guess if it's too good to be true it just might be a fake.

https://www.nbcnews.com/investigations/man-admits-impersonating-new-england-patriots-player-obtain-super-bowl-rcna9443

Edited by officeglenn
Formatting

On 10/24/2021 at 9:11 PM, Cujo said:

They don't explain what "#1 BS" stands for, but I have a pretty good idea

Trust me, Lightning fans (and heck, maybe most hockey fans) know the origin...it starts within the first minute but the whole interview has nuggets of #1 BS.

NSFW

• 2 months later...

I'm curious on everyone's opinions on what a championship ring represents. As someone who has four, I get into "debates" with people all the time regarding the legitimacy of my ownership of these rings.

What it comes down to, and the question I ask, is what the ring represents. To me, it's a culmination of hard work throughout the year/season that results in a ring as a reward for that hard work (besides the paycheck). What seems to be lost to some is 1) Who should get the ring and 2) what you get it for. The first issue comes up in the role. Some argue that only players and coaches deserve rings and not staff or students that work for the team. And the second issue is in regard to why you receive it. That rings are only given if you participated in all events. For example, let's say you're a staff member or player and you've been doing your job all year. Bowl season comes and you can't make the game, (sickness, injury, whatever) and the team wins. Well some people feel that if you don't actually attend/work/play that game, then you don't get the ring, because the ring is for just that one game. But again, I counter that a ring is representative of the whole season.

In my personal life there seems to be a lot of debate and I'm tired of having to defend myself, but I know that if the teams I worked for didn't value me as a member of the team, that I would't have them to begin with.

Still, I want to know what everyone here thinks.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I'm curious on everyone's opinions on what a championship ring represents. As someone who has four, I get into "debates" with people all the time regarding the legitimacy of my ownership of these rings.

What it comes down to, and the question I ask, is what the ring represents. To me, it's a culmination of hard work throughout the year/season that results in a ring as a reward for that hard work (besides the paycheck). What seems to be lost to some is 1) Who should get the ring and 2) what you get it for. The first issue comes up in the role. Some argue that only players and coaches deserve rings and not staff or students that work for the team. And the second issue is in regard to why you receive it. That rings are only given if you participated in all events. For example, let's say you're a staff member or player and you've been doing your job all year. Bowl season comes and you can't make the game, (sickness, injury, whatever) and the team wins. Well some people feel that if you don't actually attend/work/play that game, then you don't get the ring, because the ring is for just that one game. But again, I counter that a ring is representative of the whole season.

In my personal life there seems to be a lot of debate and I'm tired of having to defend myself, but I know that if the teams I worked for didn't value me as a member of the team, that I would't have them to begin with.

Still, I want to know what everyone here thinks.

Rings for players and choaches mean something different then the staff rings. The staff rings are essentially an incentive for being an employee. The team wasn’t going to lose a championship is joe at the concession stand didn’t show up to put cheese on the nachos, but if a 5g ring keeps him around and the team feels it’s worth it then fine go for it. 

A close friend of mine is a chef for MLSE. He works primarily in the Scotiabank Centre (cooks for the Raps and Leafs but also cooks during dinner in the Hot Stove Lounge restaurant) but does the odd thing at Coke Colesium. 

He's been there since the ACC (as it was known) first opened. He has a staff ring for all MLSE championships. So Raps, TFC and, Marlies (The Argos last championship was before they were owned by MLSE). They aren't the full blown bling-fest but they are nice none the less and somewhere between the ones that are given out/sold to fans. 

Yes, to @dont care's point, my friend would not have won or lost a championship for either of those teams but he's part of the "process" even if it's only making omelets for the Raptors or the pre game meal for the Leafs or Marlies. He played a very small part and it's nice they recognize him.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)