CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

I thought Tiffany did a fantastic job on the saints ring. To me the details were great and it was big enough to grab your attention but not overly gaudy like the Ravens ring.

I agree ridenlow! It was a gorgeous ring, capturing their logo and team colors. It was the last championship ring that I can remember done in yellow gold.

By the way, they call gold "Gold" for a reason! I think Gold color is so much classier than white gold. Hell, the nickels in our pockets are the same colors as all these "silver" colored rings we see now. Bring back real "Gold"!

PS - How could your Packers do a ring in Platinum? While Platinum is amazing and more costly than gold, didn't anyone realize on the ring design team that their team colors are green and GOLD!

I thought Tiffany did a fantastic job on the saints ring. To me the details were great and it was big enough to grab your attention but not overly gaudy like the Ravens ring.

I agree ridenlow! It was a gorgeous ring, capturing their logo and team colors. It was the last championship ring that I can remember done in yellow gold.

By the way, they call gold "Gold" for a reason! I think Gold color is so much classier than white gold. Hell, the nickels in our pockets are the same colors as all these "silver" colored rings we see now. Bring back real "Gold"!

PS - How could your Packers do a ring in Platinum? While Platinum is amazing and more costly than gold, didn't anyone realize on the ring design team that their team colors are green and GOLD!

Because the packers players wanted BIG and BLING to quote Mark Murphy. So can't get any bigger than platinum

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

You are totally right. The white-metal look rubbed me the wrong way from day one. Also, do you know how HEAVY platinum is? These rings are already very heavy due to their size. Using platinum is just piling on!

I'm with you, bring back yellow gold! Maybe the Packers can do their Super Bowl rings in yellow gold this coming season! (One can always hope)

Cheers,

Karl

A part owner of the Green Bay Packers

Well looks like the King's will be getting another ring...hopefully it's better than their last.img21583434_zpsuo7pwcvw.jpg

That ring was an embarrassment. Seriously, black enamel on the LA logo? It looks like a replica, but it's the real thing. I thought it was a joke when the pictures of it started circulating. Seriously, I thought it was the 'fans ring' version!

God I hope they make up for it this year!!

Anyways, does that ring a bell Sports-rings? Do you recall that as well about both Balfour and Jostens making rings that year for the Lakers?

Karl

Hi Karl,

I keep a database of rings and I don't have any front office rings in my database. I show Bill Sherman's ring sold for arond 20,000 in 2009. the auction said it was a balfour ring and probably the same ring the players received. Sherman was a former player and former coach and is in the Hall of Fame.

If Jostens made the front office rings, that would be a first! Two manufacturers making two different rings.

That ring is terribly bland though when your colour scheme is black, white and silver, it doesn't leave many options. It'll never happen but I would love to see some purple gems in there as a nod to their history.

and yellow gold

Hahaha!!! Awesome ideas. Probably won't happen, but some purple would liven things up. Also, remember that the Raiders rings were quite gorgeous and their colors were also silver and black. So there IS some hope that the Kings can get a better ring made this year.

My fingers are crossed, anyways.

Sorry to burst everybody's bubble but Masters Of Design is owned by and a division of Herff Jones so the ring wasn't really manufactured by 2 different companies. You guys need to do your homework before drooling on this site..... especially you Mike. You should know better!!! LOL

Thanks Ravens12.

I went online and you are 100% correct. Thanks again!

The crazy thing about championship rings is that everything is a secret. Unlike collecting baseball cards, there is no great reference manuals or printed comprehensive books. We kind of have to research everything ourselves.

Not to nit-pick but if the ring was made by one company I would think it would have one logo. Other rings have Masters of Design and some others have Herff Jones but I have never seen one ring with both. Although Masters of Design is a division, perhaps both divisions or companies, or design teams shared in the design and/or production as both markings are inside the ring.

Thanks for the pics Mike, its great to be able to compare the sizes.

I also saw your write up on the rings. Since you had listed all the rings in grams, I think Pats 2004 at 115 grams listed by Jostens is heaviest ring, heavier than Green Bay's platinum ring.

That ring is terribly bland though when your colour scheme is black, white and silver, it doesn't leave many options. It'll never happen but I would love to see some purple gems in there as a nod to their history.

One can only hope

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

Thanks for the pics Mike, its great to be able to compare the sizes.

I also saw your write up on the rings. Since you had listed all the rings in grams, I think Pats 2004 at 115 grams listed by Jostens is heaviest ring, heavier than Green Bay's platinum ring.

It does not happen all the time, but sometimes auction houses list the weight of the rings. The only ring I have seen weighted was a player ring at it came it around 102 grams.

When Mastro sold Cedric Cobbs ring they did not list a weight.

A Packers ring sold by Scott Welkowsky privately was 108.7 grams and Heritage sold one at auction that was 113 grams. The one I own is 110 grams.

I have seen Jostens advertise the 2004 ring as heaviest a few different times.

This is from February 2014. I just wish I knew what size ring they talk about when they announce how many grams these rings are. Obviously there is more than a few grams difference between a size 9 ring for a 5'9'' special teams player vs a size 14 ring for a 6'5", 350 lbs lineman.

10374894_10203918356342129_5191672396507

Obviously there is more than a few grams difference between a size 9 ring for a 5'9'' special teams player vs a size 14 ring for a 6'5", 350 lbs lineman.

Hi Dralec - I thought the same thing you did, until I started to collect real rings and started to weigh them.

It turns out that the tops are made separately and are always the same weight. Next, the gold is measured and used to make the remaining sides and bottom. Because they use the same amount of gold, the bottom of the rings would be narrower and thinner for 350 pound lineman and thicker and wider for 5'9" smaller players such as kickers.

So the rings leave the manufacturing plant around the same size. I have noticed within one to two grams.

Next, on older 14K rings, where the gold is softer than 10K, a ring that's worn on a finger a lot will wear-down over time. Check out some 14K championship rings from the 1920's - 1950's and you will sometimes see huge amount of wear. This would mean the rings get a lot lighter.

Also, when a ring gets polished at a jeweler and they buff out the nicks and scratches, they are actually taking off the gold. Rick Harrison in his book about his career owning a Pawn shop, mentioned that the gold dust and scraps are valuable and can be substantial. I took my Patriots Super bowl XXXVIII to my local jeweler because the player wore it a lot and it had many nicks and scratches. The ring came back looking brand new and mint, but it lost almost 3 grams!

According to the Josten's tweet, at 4.06 ounces, that equates to 115 grams. I can't see how my XXXIX ring lost 13 grams. I believe that was a calculation error on their part.

Mike,

Thanks so much for those panoramic views of ALL the Cowboys and Pats rings. That's like a ring-lovers dream photo. Just awesome. How cool that you are able to even have all those rings, you must lead a charmed life! :)

Keep up the good work!!

Karl