CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

Super Bowl ring, half a size of SEC championship ring is not cool!

I don't care who made it or how cool it looks.

10390522_10203933243754305_3610263907280

Yeah that sucks..but of course the college rings are non gold or diamonds so cost.is WAY cheaper. Not saying that's an excuse.

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

Super Bowl ring, half a size of SEC championship ring is not cool!

I don't care who made it or how cool it looks.

10390522_10203933243754305_3610263907280

OMG! Okay Dralec, you are totally right. It was not clear until I saw this post how small that ring is. WOW! They could have gone a LITTLE bigger without offending the NFL couldn't they??? It's not right that college rings are bigger than a Super Bowl championship ring! Holy cow.......

A part owner of the Green Bay Packers

Yes, Karl, all I am saying is that since all the championship rings from all other sports are getting bigger we can't have a super bowl ring that small.

At least should have had players ring much larger and made different tier rings for staff.

Here are different Miami Heat rings for comparison.

Miami Heat 2013 Players ring at 135 grams vs "Executive A" ring at 85 grams, and Miami Heat Players vs "Friend and Family" 2012 ring.

10478579_10203934422983785_4068773572754

Rings don't have to be "OMG!!!111!! HUGE!!!"

That Seahawks ring is the perfect size for a championship ring. It's wearable. If you want something you're just going to display on your mantle, get a replica trophy (which alot of players do anyway)

• Like 1

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Not even bigger than Stanford Orange Bowl ring. Stanford, never mind FSU National championship ring.

10363263_10203933358837182_7896048211404

Give me a ring I can actually wear over some gaudy looking huge ring that looks ridiculous when worn. The Seahawks did a great job with their ring.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

Yes, Karl, all I am saying is that since all the championship rings from all other sports are getting bigger we can't have a super bowl ring that small.

At least should have had players ring much larger and made different tier rings for staff.

Here are different Miami Heat rings for comparison.

Miami Heat 2013 Players ring at 135 grams vs "Executive A" ring at 85 grams, and Miami Heat Players vs "Friend and Family" 2012 ring.

10478579_10203934422983785_4068773572754

Wow, thanks for posting those. Very interesting to see. I know some nfl teams have done a players ring and a ring for everyone else (Tampa Bay comes to mind) but the Heat have taken it to a new level.

I had a thought as I was looking at the hugeness of the Heat rings.....basketball players are some of the biggest humans on the planet. They need to have huge rings or it won't show up on them. Football players are big, but not THAT big. NBA players are in a different category..... I say this as a large former college football lineman (6'6" 350#). These rings are made for huge men, thus the rings are huge.

Also, they are World Championship rings, so the size is relative to the accomplishment. They are not 'wearable' for normal people, but the athletes who win these championships are not normal humans. They're much, much bigger. This is clearly why the Heat made smaller rings for Execs, because most execs are 'normal' size people. Except Pat Riley, I think he's about 6'6" also, but I digress.....

Not starting an argument here, just kinda making some points for folks to think about. Being super-large in comparison to the rest of the population adds a layer of complication to a persons life. Ask me how I know.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I think pretty much most teams have at least 2 ring versions. I know a staff member of a firm that works for Ravens got B level ring, It was smaller by about 50% and did not have the outer rail diamonds, (it was 10K and CZ).

Also Saints had second tier rings that were much smaller and had CZ.

Here is a cool pic, comparing coach Ditka's ring and Ray Lewis. Ditka wears his ring every day but I wonder if he would wear it daily if it was as big as Ranven's ring. That ring can not be comfortable to wear at all.

ditka1.jpg

Love the details on the sides of the ring but why no color color on the head of the hawk? To me the top just blends together

Completely agree. What a wasted opportunity to get some beautiful colours in there.

And I'll echo what JQK said. I like big and flashy rings, but there comes a point where they get so big that you can hardly even call them "rings" anymore. Have some fun, but keep the size at least moderate.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Oh, and another thing........diamond Pave' is EVERYWHERE in the jewelry business at large. Mostly bridal jewelry leads the way, but the fashion jewelry follows the trend too. We jewelers hate all this pave because it brings up a lot of problems (stones falling out, etc.).... Anyways, I just wanted to throw that thought out there for this discussion on the recent design trends of championship rings.

I can assure you that people are getting diamond pave' due to it's lower costs. In fact, there are even engagement rings there the center 'stone' is actually a mosaic of precision cut stones that give the illusion of a large engagement diamond. I know, I know....kind of a different market, but still the trends that affect society overall have SOME effect on the championship ring market, right?

Just putting that our there for for the discussion......

Greetings everyone!

BIG ring fan here. I only own one which I paid for out of my own pocket by Jostens back in the days I was playing Semi-Pro football. I designed the shank side shown, and pretty much the top and name side were standard to what Jostens offered back in the day.

football_ring.jpg

I live up here in the soggy NW, and have been a huge Seahawks fan for the last 38 years.

I'm curious to know if anyone here might have answer to a few questions I have:

a.) Has there ever been designs shown of the ring designs submitted by the companies that didn't make the actual ring? (I would really like to see what other designs there were that weren't chosen.)

b.) Anyone found a high quality replica manufacturer that you have purchased from?

I see lots of low quality rings on the auction site, and until I actually win the power ball lotto I'm going to keep checking for a high quality replica maker.

As for the discussion about the newer Championship ring trends - I really enjoy the older rings, but some of the newer designs show me that sports in general seems to be moving away from "ultimate bling" to something a little less.

GO HAWKS!

Dave

Edited by daveCFPrez

I don't think a there's a big difference between the 49ers ring of 94 and rings of today. The 49ers commentated their 5th Super Bowl win, something no other team could say at the time and only 2 more since. I would argue that the Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, Ravens and Packers all used large stones to commemorate multiple Super Bowl wins since with the body of the trophy being made of multiple diamonds increasing bragging rights for the number of diamonds on that ring.

Enamel paint may add nice details but it can also rub off. I think colored details on the shanks in the future will follow the example of the Patriots and STL Cardinals and use colored stones.

Yellow gold may be out at the moment, but lets not forget that the Steelers have also used it in recent memory. White gold is fitting for Seattle as there is not a yellow gold color on their logo.

Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, Ravens and Packers all used large stones to commemorate multiple Super Bowl wins since with the body of the trophy being made of multiple diamonds increasing bragging rights for the number of diamonds on that ring.

Hi Brandon,

Great points. I was not saying that teams have eliminated large diamonds, I was writing that the trend is more towards a never-ending sea of tiny diamonds all over the ring. As a result of this trend, where new rings contain way over 100 diamonds, the larger diamonds shown in the 49er ring have become smaller in the last few rings produced.

The 49ers rings, screams, "big-large diamonds" while the last three super bowl rings (shown in the picture) screams, look at me, I have 100-300 tiny diamonds (just my opinion).

Not sure what this proves but here is the seahawks ring compared in size to the Saints rings.

The saints ring was kind of smallish, at about 57 grams. The seahawks ring does appear larger. I believe the last Giants ring was around 92 grams and the Ravens ring was 88 grams. The Ravens ring is the only ring that I am mentioning that is 10K gold (the others are 14K). So the Ravens ring at 88 grams would be around 100 grams had it been in 14K like the others.

1403902275000-photo.JPG