CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

A 26 mm Super Bowl ring!

It is official then. This is the first time that Super Bowl ring is smaller than the conference championship ring of the same year.

The last thing I wanted to put in the blog was that the ring was 26 mm, because that's a hard number to wrap your head around. I looked on a ruler at 26 mm and then I said to myself, "now what?". The 26 mm did not give me a feel for the size of the ring. Having gotten a player's Denver ring, I can tell you that the Bronco ring is made of 10K gold and 54. grams and it's pretty big (just compare it to the Broncos super bowl rings in my previous photos).

I have not been able to find the weight of the Seahawks rings. At 14K, they should be around 10% heavier then 10K gold, so if they are around 60 grams, I would say the rings might me comparable in size. I hope to have one in a month or two and then I can take a photo of the two rings side by side.

Should my deal fall through (they often do), who knows when I will get a Seahawks ring.

Yes, CSR, you are right. Did not think it would happen again but it appears all Tiffany rings are going to be smaller than Jostens rings.

Hey Mike the last Tiffany ring for Giants was 30 MM. I have seen that ring side by side the Colts ring and it was slightly smaller. (2007 Giants ring is slightly smaller than Colts ring, although almost identical design)

Since Denver ring is bigger than Colts ring then it is for sure larger than the 26 MM Sea Chickens ring.

Yes, CSR, you are right. Did not think it would happen again but it appears all Tiffany rings are going to be smaller than Jostens rings.

Hey Mike the last Tiffany ring for Giants was 30 MM. I have seen that ring side by side the Colts ring and it was slightly smaller. (2007 Giants ring is slightly smaller than Colts ring, although almost identical design)

Since Denver ring is bigger than Colts ring then it is for sure larger than the 26 MM Sea Chickens ring.

I'm not the smartest guy out there, so you lost me on the comparisons. I am not sure if 26mm or 30mm counts as a bigger ring and I am not sure if the weights I go by are an indication either. I would need to line them up and photograph them, I guess.

I noticed the seahawks ring looks really big on most hands, and one player who must have huge hands made the ring look small.

So I really don't know how big or small the seahawks ring but it did look tiny when worn alongside that college ring.

Mike did you contact the guy on ebay selling the Sea Hawks ring?

Does not look its legit but I wondered if you looked into it?

I did contact him. My gut feeling is it's a real ring. They sent me a picture of a Tiffany appraisal that I had not seen before. That's where I learned the ring is 26mm. By the way, the Tiffany fan ring, with no dimaonds is also 26mm. Not sure if it is the exact same size as the player's version.

The person is slow to get back to me, but does not want to sell it for under 70,000. He calims it is a player's ring (could be a practice squad player). At 70,000 I don't believe that's a realistic price. These rings typically sell at auction for 20,000 - 50,000. The 50,000 price is usually for the huge rings such as The Patriots super bowl XXXIX ring or the Packers platnum super bowl XLV ring.

The auction house gets 20-30 percent so that leaves the consigner with around 30,000.

Plus the smaller rings sell for a lot less and once the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hit the market place, prices fall.

But who knows, they are very slow in getting back to me and I don't think this is going to work out for me.

Yeah it's only 70k because it is the first one to hit the market. I just think it's funny people go to ebay to sell these rings. People on ebay don't have 70k to blow on a super bowl ring. If he was serious then it has to go to a big auction house.

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

Washington Post profiles Don Budd, owner of a Kansas City pawn shop, who claims that he has had over 3,000 championship rings come through his store.

For more than two decades, Budd has built an unlikely network. Stories about broke athletes are common, former millionaires somehow growing desperate to make ends meet. When all else is lost, often a championship ring — from a bowl game, a Final Four or even a Super Bowl — is the last, precious thing to go. When that time comes, when fast cash is more valuable than a reminder of the day an athlete reached the sports mountaintop, it’s frequently Budd’s phone that rings.

“It’s kind of my thing,” said Budd, 54. “You’re standing at the counter and people are pawning microwaves and drills, and here comes a Super Bowl ring.”

Since opening his store in 1988, Budd says, he has owned around 3,000 rings and estimates he possesses “several hundred” of them now. But why here, of all places? Central Pawn sits on an unremarkable street corner, next to a liquor store and a boutique, in a forgotten part of Kansas City, maybe the last place anyone should go looking for treasures from glory days.

Budd offers loans, sure, but more valuable to athletes is his promise to keep the transaction anonymous — an offer auction houses and Web sites cannot make. Even now, he reveals only the names of a few “customers,” he calls them, who have died; he keeps most everything else — names, prices, how he came to possess such priceless wares — to himself. Even after a sale, Budd says, the buyer must sign a legally binding confidentiality agreement.

This is Budd’s business, one of the few parts of Central Pawn he hasn’t handed off to his son, Don III. He is serious about it. It is his code. The former athletes respect that. So they come to him. “They have a comfort level dealing with a person,” Budd said, “and that person happens to be me.”

SB ring amongst collection of ECU rings!

But I think this is smallest SB ring for the past 20 + years. I think the most comparable ring to it would be the Tampa Bay Buccs 2002 ring which was also made by Tiffany and was about 50-55 grams.

994444_10204174251899358_779160877744426

SB ring amongst collection of ECU rings!

But I think this is smallest SB ring for the past 20 + years. I think the most comparable ring to it would be the Tampa Bay Buccs 2002 ring which was also made by Tiffany and was about 50-55 grams.

994444_10204174251899358_779160877744426

dralec - I think you are dead-on. I'm guessing it's about the same size. Maybe it's mandated from the NFL. The last two teams that won for the first time, The Bucs and Saints, both received Tiffany rings in the 56-60 gram weight range.