CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

Baylor's new back-to-back Big 12 championship rings:

baylor7d.jpg

Baylor's official Twitter feed unveiled the football team's 2014 Big 12 championship rings Monday.

The tweet, also contained the motto "no pressure, no diamonds". I hope the team and media-person responsible for the tweet, know that the NCAA prohibits collegiate championship rings from being designed and made with real gold and real diamonds.

I don't like the Giants WS ring. Hate to be negative, so let me give one compliment: at least it's original. I mean these guys can't be accused of copying ANYONE ELSE. There, I was charitable. My good deed for the day.

Been away for awhile, glad to be back. Hope you all are doing well. I promise I will try to further the discussion and help keep this forum going!

Take care,

Karl

A part owner of the Green Bay Packers

Anyone want to talk about the design of the rings from Super Bowl XVIII?

sb18c.jpg

No team in sports made the effort that Al Davis did in keeping his championship rings as close to the same design over the years. This is evident when viewing their first AFL championship ring in 1967, all the way up to their final super bowl appearance in 2002.

Although the Raider championship rings were always very similar in design, the world had never seen a championship ring like this before - three football-shaped diamond configurations on the top of the ring - symbolizing their three Super Bowl victories.

Yes, I would like to discuss the design of these rings. They are two of my all time favorites. I am so sorry that the Redskins ring design had to be wasted on an NFC Championship, it was a great design. I really like when teams use color ( ok, specifically, colored gemstones) in their designs ala NY Giants in '86 or even the '82 Redskins with the red base stone topped with the diamond football shape. Also, I think I was nice that the Packers included green in their 2010 Super Bowl ring.

As for the Raiders ring.....I think the ring you pictured is perhaps my favorite Super Bowl ring design commemorating a Third championship. The only other that might be tied in my mind is the 49'ers third SB championship ring with three little Lombardi Trophies in an oval of diamonds. In fact, the Niners ring was the inspiration for my own team's Rose Bowl ring that I helped design...but I digress.

No, Al Davis did an excellent job on all his rings. He wanted his players to have a ring worthy of any occasion, such as having lunch with the Queen of England or some such thing, and I think he succeeded. You may not like the Raiders, but they sure made some purdy rings! And for the record, I LIKE the consistency of the Raider designs. I think it's a testament to having one owner who can influence such a thing. Or one family like the Rooneys in Pittsburgh, they also have had nice rings designed over the years (except for the Second one...it was, and is, hideous).

While we are talking about Third Super Biwl rings, let me just give a shout-out to the Steelers third Championship where they incorporated their team logo with the design of the ring and the number of championships. Extra credit is awarded in my book. I know they were probably trying to one-up the Cowboys from the year before but still, it's an awesome design.

And the '77 Cowboys are to be credited for using their star logo for their second SB ring...love it when teams can use the logo not just in the design but also to commemorate the NUMBER of championships. Very cool indeed. I give them credit for being the FIRST to this. Yes, they used their star on their first SB ring, but to use TWO STARS for the second SB championship was the first time anyone did it.

So thanks, Mike, for sharing that picture of those two rings. I love them both and I'm grateful you still share your collection with us!

Sincerely,

Karl

sb18c.jpg

No team in sports made the effort that Al Davis did in keeping his championship rings as close to the same design over the years. This is evident when viewing their first AFL championship ring in 1967, all the way up to their final super bowl appearance in 2002.

Although the Raider championship rings were always very similar in design, the world had never seen a championship ring like this before - three football-shaped diamond configurations on the top of the ring - symbolizing their three Super Bowl victories.

As for the Raiders ring.....I think the ring you pictured is perhaps my favorite Super Bowl ring design commemorating a Third championship. The only other that might be tied in my mind is the 49'ers third SB championship ring with three little Lombardi Trophies in an oval of diamonds. In fact, the Niners ring was the inspiration for my own team's Rose Bowl ring that I helped design...but I digress.

No, Al Davis did an excellent job on all his rings. He wanted his players to have a ring worthy of any occasion, such as having lunch with the Queen of England or some such thing, and I think he succeeded. You may not like the Raiders, but they sure made some purdy rings! And for the record, I LIKE the consistency of the Raider designs. I think it's a testament to having one owner who can influence such a thing. Or one family like the Rooneys in Pittsburgh, they also have had nice rings designed over the years (except for the Second one...it was, and is, hideous).

While we are talking about Third Super Biwl rings, let me just give a shout-out to the Steelers third Championship where they incorporated their team logo with the design of the ring and the number of championships. Extra credit is awarded in my book. I know they were probably trying to one-up the Cowboys from the year before but still, it's an awesome design.

Sincerely,

Karl

Hi Karl,

I never heard the Raiders rings described as designed to be worthy for any occasion. I must agree - that description really sums up the raiders rings. Not too flashy, but very beautiful. They can hang with the bling-rings, but not be embarrassingly over gaudy. I really like that description.

I do look at the Steeler rings and scratch my head. In my opinion, unlike the uniform nature of the Raiders rings, none of the Steeler rings match. It's almost like different groups within the Pittsburgh upper management help design each ring separately, or they went out of their way to completely re-do each design.

If you line up the first 4 rings from the Steeler's 70s titles, none of them look similar or have a reoccurring theme (the only theme I see is that the first, third and fourth don't have traditional shanks, but have a more modern looking engraving on the sides.

The 5th and 6th again, are very different from any ring we had seen before, and finally, their two AFC championships not only resulted in different looking rings, their last appearance in the Super Bowl actually resulted in a watch - not a ring!

sb18c.jpg

Sincerely,

Karl

Hi Karl,

I never heard the Raiders rings described as designed to be worthy for any occasion. I must agree - that description really sums up the raiders rings. Not too flashy, but very beautiful. They can hang with the bling-rings, but not be embarrassingly over gaudy. I really like that description.

I do look at the Steeler rings and scratch my head. In my opinion, unlike the uniform nature of the Raiders rings, none of the Steeler rings match. It's almost like different groups within the Pittsburgh upper management help design each ring separately, or they went out of their way to completely re-do each design.

If you line up the first 4 rings from the Steeler's 70s titles, none of them look similar or have a reoccurring theme (the only theme I see is that the first, third and fourth don't have traditional shanks, but have a more modern looking engraving on the sides.

The 5th and 6th again, are very different from any ring we had seen before, and finally, their two AFC championships not only resulted in different looking rings, their last appearance in the Super Bowl actually resulted in a watch - not a ring!

Yeah, you know ....you're right. The steelers rings were not uniform. I guess Al Davis WAS the only one to do that so consciously. But yeah, that quote about his players being able to have lunch (or dinner ?) with the Queen is for real. Raiders rings are classy. Now that you mention it, those Steelers rings were quite different from one another.

You know the only other rings that had SOME consistency were the Forty Niners rings....NONE of them had any color or colored stones. Just diamonds. Oh and they were all yellow gold (how appropriate that they made their recent NFC championship ring white gold!!)Very nice rings, every last one of them. I'm not a Niners fan but I really do like their Championship Rings!

Man, it sure is fun to talk rings with someone who cares about them and who can picture in his mind every single ring I'm mentioning without me posting a picture. You are a rare breed and I'm so happy to have found this forum. Everyone in my family thinks I'm nuts.

Karl.

Anyone want to talk about the design of the next Super Bowl - the ring from Super Bowl XIX?

sb19c.jpg

The ring on the left is the San Francisco Forty Niners winning Super Bowl Ring from their 1984 season. This ring contains some major bling - two very large marquise diamonds (football shaped) make up each Lombardi trophy and adorn the top of the ring. The two Lombardi trophies are surrounded by many smaller diamonds.

The 49ers Super Bowl XIX ring was designed and manufactured by Jostens in 10K solid yellow gold. The ring weighs in at approximately 44 grams.

In a tradition that continues to this day, the team that loses the Super Bowl is recognized as a champion of their respective conference. The Miami Dolphin AFC championship ring shown above weighed in at 43 grams and contains five small diamonds - representing the team's five super bowl appearances.

What I find most interesting about this ring is that the Dolphins used the gold metal background on top of the ring, opting not to do their usual team-colored aqua onyx stone as they had done with all their other championship rings in the past.

Also of interest is that the Dolphins 1984 AFC championship ring started the run of 13 consecutive years where NFC teams won the super bowl. This means that my blog will be showcasing 13 consecutive NFC Super Bowl champion rings and 13 consecutive AFC championship rings.

The Dolphins rings were designed and produced by Jostens in 10K yellow gold.

I'm surprised that so many people dislike the Giants new WS ring. (though I wonder how many of said people are from SoCal...) It's just about perfect, if you ask me. The 2010 ring kinda sucked but the last two have been major wins IMO.

kGFTWyb.png

Anyone want to talk about the design of the Mickey Mantle Career Ring.

It's a championship sized ring.

The Mickey Mantle championship ring was fully authorized and licensed by the Mantle family and was designed and made by Balfour shortly after his death.

Balfour has been designing every single Yankee championship ring for decades.

(Click on the image below to bring up a larger image of the ring, shanks and box.)

mantleq.jpg

The Mickey Mantle championship ring was fully authorized and licensed by the Mantle family and was designed and made by Balfour shortly after his death.

(Click on the image below to bring up a larger image of the ring, shanks and box.)

mantleq.jpg

Interesting that the design appears to be just like that of the '69 miracle Mets. By that, I mean the top of the ring (where the words are) is the only part that rises up above the fingers/hand. In other words The shanks are very low. The Mets ring is quite beautiful and massive, but I always felt that that particular design element kept it manageable/wearable. Just my guess, but I think im on target.

This is a pretty ring, but I agree with you guys that it smacks of relatives/heirs wanting to cash in on his legacy...probably through an Auction.

K

Anyone want to talk about the design of the next Super Bowl - the ring from Super Bowl XIX?

sb19c.jpg

What I find most interesting about this ring is that the Dolphins used the gold metal background on top of the ring, opting not to do their usual team-colored aqua onyx stone as they had done with all their other championship rings in the past.

Mike, this Niners ring is one of my favorites. The Niners did a great job overall on all their rings ( except the first one which was very vanilla and somewhat undersized). It's huge and makes a statement with those two unmistakeable Lombardi Trophies on the face. I remember Randy Cross wore this ring a lot when he was broadcasting games. I was able to wear a salesmans sample (literally) over a weekend while we were mulling over different designs of our PacTen championship rings and I really liked it. Ironically, the other finalist and eventual winner in the design process was the Niners NEXT Super Bowl ring with the three trophies surrounded by an oval of diamonds!

As for the Dolphins ring, I have also wondered about the stone color in the background. It is LITERALLY their only ring that does NOT have the Aqua colored stone as a background. It's a classic design and does make a statement of its own about five Super Bowl appearances.

Although the strangest Dolphins AFC ring is the one prior to this, where they made explicit mention of the Super Bowls that they won prior. It was a stadium style ring and had a lot of writing on it. I haven't seen it in awhile and am fuzzy on the details but I think you'll back me up on what I said.

Thanks,Mike, for the trip down memory lane!

Karl.

mantleq.jpg

Interesting that the design appears to be just like that of the '69 miracle Mets. By that, I mean the top of the ring (where the words are) is the only part that rises up above the fingers/hand. In other words The shanks are very low. The Mets ring is quite beautiful and massive, but I always felt that that particular design element kept it manageable/wearable. Just my guess, but I think im on target.

This is a pretty ring, but I agree with you guys that it smacks of relatives/heirs wanting to cash in on his legacy...probably through an Auction.

K

Great observation - it is very similar to the Mets ring. The Mets used a slightly lighter blue onyx stone that matched their blue quite well!